2nd Spring Live Period Recap

I’m impressed they are willing to get on a message board and discuss basketball recruits. If I was a Maryland fan I’d still be waking up everyday hoping hiring Willard was a bad dream

3 Likes

Similar but has better footwork than Devon at this point.

Anyone remember or recall what happened back in the day that we (went after and) signed London P, after we already had Devon Hall locked up as our heir apparent Point God?? Once we got London and he exceeded expectations, it seemed like Devon went from being a program savior, to just another guy (a damn good one by his jr and sr seasons).

I just always found that dynamic odd, based on all the hype Devon had as the in-state baller.

I think this is more of an indicator of how little we fans know about recruits. It also suggests that we probably shouldn’t take the recruiting services too seriously. It wouldn’t surprise me to know that the staff was aware of who would start and who would reshirt from the time LOIs were signed.

2 Likes

Devon reclassed to come a year earlier. And, he never played PG for us… I’m guessing it’s twofold… He was viewed as not being ready, and a better 2/3 than PG.

2 Likes

I didnt follow recruiting at all then as that was Life pre @HoozGotNext and LRA but there are times when guys come in and surprise even coaches that recruited then from the get. I feel like London surprised them to an extent including the story of TB giving him the keys.

Back in my time Harold Dean was that guy. Cory once famously said to the coaches in his speech “Harold won MVP and yall didnt even want him”. That was at the year end banquet and hilarious

8 Likes

If I’m remembering right, Mike Powell was supposed to be the guy, but was sick and that gave Dean the spot when Cory went down. Dean was so good, he started the rest of the year and Powell transferred.

3 Likes

I meant in terms of the role he could play. Versatile defender on the wing. 3P threat. Every so often can get a step and attack the rim.

1 Like

Is exactly right. Michael was crazy talented but Deano came in game ready. Not easy to do back then or anytime really

2 Likes

All I know is that the current team/last year’s team could have really used a Devon hall or 2. So if kaiser comps that way - and I think his ceiling is higher - then I would really really like him to come to uva.

7 Likes

IIRC, the late Coach Fletcher Arritt remarked at Deane’s commitment (or signing, or at the beginning of his first season, whenever…), “Virginia fans have no idea of what they are getting…”. Or, words to that effect.

4 Likes

Mike was a terror in pickup games. No one could do anything with him.

2 Likes

We all knew from that summer, but was a big surprise. Sounds right on Coachs quote. Also Harold is a coaches son and it showed

2 Likes

@DFresh11 What was Harold’s deal? He was a 5yr HS guy right? Injury?

He went from unheralded to an all conference player.

1 Like

I think he just took the Prep year to develop more physically. Oh and that worked.

Imma have to get CA to refresh my memory. Cory remembers every detail from our school days

3 Likes

Good stuff bro, rock solid! Was Mike Powell there when you played? That’s my guy

1 Like

Bingo 19!! Caught mono and could never recover from that once Deane did his thing. Truthfully, Mike was so versatile and had enough size and athleticism to play the 2 in the ACC. JJ wasn’t feeling that.

My guy!! Me and Mike use to get busy in HS and once he left UVA for Loyola.

1 Like

His class came in the year I graduate but we were all together that summer of 93. Mike such a cool dude and crazy talented. He went with Brian Elerbe when BE got his first head coaching job right?

1 Like

That was a DC thing back then bro, in all honestly we had the best HS players in the country in that era.

2 Likes