šŸ€ ACC Basketball March 2024

I agree that it sucks that SMU is a new ā€œrival.ā€ This new version of the ACC sucks. Schedules are now watered down even more, and I hate this assignment.
We ought to play UNC twice, but that never was going to happen. Both UNC and Duke do not want to play us twice if the other one isnā€™t doing the same. If we played UNC twice, it would give Duke an advantage, which of course, canā€™t happen.
Sad to say, but Iā€™m ready to move on from the ACC. Iā€™d prefer to be in a P2 conference, but from a basketball perspective, Big XII games would be fun, especially if some other ACC schools end up there too (so I still can catch some nearby road games)

With an 18 team conference, an 18 game schedule with 1 rival H&H and round robin against the other 16 teams is about the best you could do. It is what the women do. But ESPN is paying for more of our content, so we need 20 games.

Iā€™m sure itā€™s no better in the 16 team B12 or 16 team SEC or 18 team B1G. Just a pick your poison situation.

2 Likes

UVa and SMU have storied Polo club teams that go back as far as UVa UNC football rivalryā€¦

2 Likes

Itā€™s been clarified repeatedly in here that theyā€™re not. VT and Louisville are the rivals. SMU is simply, by randomness, the third H/A partner this year, and next year itā€™ll be someone else.

10 Likes

UVA/SMU Polo: it always delivers.

7 Likes

10-4. Thanks for clarifying. Admittedly, I havenā€™t read through all the posts.

I canā€™t wait! Easy flight from Tucson to San Francisco, hope they do the West Coast swing with a short turnaround so I can make it a trip.

6 Likes

Duke is the worst

Still better than watching swimming

Serious questionā€¦ combine swimming and polo and you have water polo. Has anyone ever tried that sport?

I tried it once and thought this sport was going to be dumbā€¦ but the amount of pure leg strength you need to elevate yourself out of the water with a defender on you to take a shotā€¦ I respect the hell out of water polo players.

Lookā€¦ Johnny Hooperā€¦ like Joey Buckets!

Tokyo Olympics Sport GIF by Team USA

2 Likes

Why am I even surprised. But I jave heard itā€™s increasingly hard.

1 Like
1 Like

I played it once in Brasil and it was easy. Against rich brasilians

Little known fact: Fresh is a strong swimmer

3 Likes

I grew up in CA and not only did my high school have a Water Polo team (they were excellent and probably tied with the terrible football team for being our #3 most prominent sports team. Basketball > Baseball > Football (terrible) = Water Polo (excellent)) we also had a Badminton team (which I lettered in, because Iā€™m a renaissance man).

On the other hand, I never saw field hockey played nor did I know lacrosse even existed, until I went to college on the east coast.

4 Likes

Badminton might be my favorite sports to play. Also no clue where the name comes from

4 Likes

:slight_smile: r little know fact: rich Brazilians are very weak swimmers?:slight_smile:

1 Like

Games employing shuttlecocks have been played for centuries across Eurasia,[a] but the modern game of badminton developed in the mid-19th century among the expatriate officers of British India as a variant of the earlier game of battledore and shuttlecock. (ā€œBattledoreā€ was an older term for ā€œracquetā€.)[4] Its exact origin remains obscure. The name derives from the Duke of Beaufortā€™s Badminton House in Gloucestershire,[5] but why or when remains unclear.

Battledore and shuttlecock is a way cooler name.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/MichalowskiCBB/status/1763257234723647849/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1763257234723647849&currentTweetUser=MichalowskiCBB

Maybe explains why Hamilton was full court pressing our walk one?

3 Likes

Itā€™s impressive that GT got 55 rebounds against Florida State. Weā€™re going to have to rebound well in that last home game.

4 Likes

Find myself rooting for Morsell to beat UNC. Sad.

1 Like