Best Podcasts outside LRA

Thought I’d start this to get it out of the JMU thread… what are everyone’s favorite ones?

2 Likes

I go through phases on podcast but my current favorite that I’ve been dialed in on for about 8 months is Cinephobe. Not sports related but done by sports people so you get the occasional reference. It’s locked in on my sensibilities.

Welcome to Cinephobe: The Podcast where Zach Harper, Amin Elhassan and Anthony Mayes review movies that are poorly rated on Rotten Tomatoes, and try to ascertain whether or not those movies are accurately poorly rated, or maybe just didn’t get a fair shake. Cinephobe! Wherever you get Podcasts!

5 Likes

Because I’m a college hoops dork, I listen to three man weave, Eye on college basketball (CBS - Parrish and Norlander), DTF (Dauster podcast with Fanta and Terence Oglesby), and Titus and Tate. They all have their pros and cons, but I think Titus/Tate is my overall favorite (best mix of entertaining, funny, and some good hoops chatter)

3 Likes

I listen to all those too… as well as the ones above… and others as well.

2 Likes

Yeah, Titus and Tate is the one podcast I always listen to. I’ve said it before, but I just love listening to them because they legitimately love college basketball and are fans. They also have some decent connections and have some good info, but they’ll be the first to tell you they aren’t analytic experts trying to be the smartest dudes in the room. They’re more covering the storylines of the season and college basketball’s drama and humor, which is what I enjoy most.

I wish I liked any other college basketball podcasts but they all either feel like they’re trying to just break news all the time or be overly analytical in ways I think they just aren’t very good at. Plus a bunch of them just aren’t very engaging podcasters/aren’t particularly entertaining personalities. When I’m desperate for content, I’ll try and listen to 3MW or something else, but it just has never caught on for me.

The only issue with Titus and Tate is that they have so many jokes that are referencing jokes they’ve made in the past that I could see it being a little intimidating as a new listener if you feel like you’re missing references. But I’ve been listening for years so it works for me, haha.

6 Likes

I mainly listen to comedy podcasts. Comedy Bang Bang! has been a staple for over a decade. I’m also a devoted Hollywood Handbook listener but it’s a tough one to jump into cold. Other than that I check in and out of different shows. As a hop-hop head, What Had Happened Was is a fun listen. Several friends highly recommend Questlove’s podcast but I haven’t checked it out yet.

2 Likes

I like the dudes Titus and Tate but for me I dont get the allure of their podcasts (and everyone I know that likes college hoops loves them)

Proly like most things. I will like it in 2 years when they are on to something else

4 Likes

Odd Lots

The Compound and Friends

Opening Arguments

3 Likes

Joe Rogan can be great. Lotta diverse kinda guests on it and some really informative. Just way too long for me. How else would I have ever known what Duck Duck Go is…

1 Like

Also All the Smoke is tremendous. Matt Barnes and Stephen Jackson. Knuckle Headz great as well. Similar but differrnt

1 Like

Oh All the Smoke is great. That’s one I can drop into anytime and dig it.

2 Likes

There used to be one for DMV basketball called Step Up 2 the Mic… looks like they stopped making it.

Ralph Sampson also had one… but he hasn’t dropped an episode in 4-months…

2 Likes

Yes. Step 2 the Mic is Ted Jeffries’ and couple others. Is really good.

3 Likes

Am I the only person here who’s never listened to their show?

• Yep just you
  • Nope I haven’t either
0 voters
3 Likes

@HoozGotNext You have to listen at least a few times… they have a segment called “Good Guy, Bad Guy, Kyle Guy”… which goes over one good guy, one bad guy and then they either talk to Kyle Guy or talk about him… the last episode they got a statement from him about the UVa basketball team and read it on air.

8 Likes

I liked Titus and Tate the first year or so but they kind of got stale and the schtick a little hokey/ overplayed for me.

To be fair I haven’t listened to them in a couple of years.

Really like Green Light Pod w/Chris Long

4 Likes

Is the Green Light Pod the one he does with his brother?

1 Like

Yeah Kyle joined the show somewhat recently. Macon who used be Dave Koehn’s right hand man is the official co-host.

2 Likes

I listened to one where they prattled on about Chik Fil A not being open on Sunday and how much they love their chicken… lol! Only thing I remember… I think that talked about football.

2 Likes

Ha yeah they do a lot of non sports and can be funny which is how I get my wife to listen to them for road trips.

1 Like