Best Podcasts outside LRA

They used to say radio hosts hold a unique spot in people’s lives: we know them intimately but they don’t know us at all. Think the same applies to podcasters. We spend more time listening to them than we spend with all but our closest family, friends, and coworkers. Natural to have changes in show formats, ends of shows, ‘break ups’, etc impact us more than they should given we don’t actually know the people

4 Likes

One side of the story

3 Likes

Unrelated but I got a laugh out of this bullet point in the PMT promo that started that twitter thread:

Nate Oats wants it to be known no murders happened at practice in front of him

10 Likes

I mean… that’s not nothing given his recent track record.

4 Likes

I would consider this as essentially full confirmation of my theory

https://twitter.com/greenlight/status/1630579026854137859?s=46&t=wjdV9iCFqqyXK8vZSuf_6Q

3 Likes

Woah! Didn’t see that coming

4 Likes

Wow. So now they have competing college basketball podcasts? How weird this all turned out.

4 Likes

And before this announcement, he went on Chris Long’s podcast, with just the cohost and not Chris Long, and talked about it a bit, too.

The subtext I got from that chat is Titus really wanted barstool and Tate didn’t.

3 Likes

Pod 110 April 9, 2019

3 Likes

Don’t know Tate’s motivations, but if one is not wanting to work for Barstool and Portnoy for personal reasons, I’m totally on board with that.

11 Likes

100% my thought as well.

3 Likes

Yeah, about to leave for work and sitting here listen to OSP. If anything, I kinda preferred Titus, but I really don’t need two more podcasts in my life, so had to make a choice. I probably would’ve loved Barstool when I was 16… but I’m not.

4 Likes

Problem with barstool is they try to rope the barstool ‘stories’ into their podcasts too often. I listen to spitting chiclets to hear them talk about the NHL not what some idiot 24 year old did that week. Probably going to do the same crap to Titus

2 Likes

Yeah, have seen that just in Titus promos. They are super into the Barstool cinematic universe.

4 Likes

Gotta feed the machine. And Barstool is as much image and perception as it is content.

Not for me and I’m good with that.

8 Likes

I liked Titus & Tate, however they could devolve into laughing fits and use the same joke 100 times an episode… so I guess I had a love/hate with them.

3 Likes

Yeah. Listened to OSP today as well. I appreciated some of the humor Titus brought to the old podcast but hopefully that comes with some of the guests Tate brings on.

5 Likes

Had to give the Titus show a listen (skipped around as it is 2+ hours). I get being somewhat critical of the ACC this year but without Tate to counter him it was a straight bash fest right in the intro and the ACC deep dive. And the ACC deep dive was with a Louisville dude. Seriously? And the Lville dude’s agenda seemed to be to bring the conference down with his team.

2 Likes

I love Mike Rutherford though. Super funny dude.

Not a lot of UVA podcast chatter on the thread. I’m by no means a critic, so basically no negative notes. Will try to highlight positives on a few. Not in any order, just how they were sorted on my subscribe list.
I’ve gone searching for what I can find, have at least dabbled with each of the following:

1. Speaking the Lawn Podcast (formerly streaking the lawn): like the vibes with Zach, like they dive into lax since few other podcasts do, and the Caroline Darney cameos for these.
  2. Cavs Corner Podcast: one of the few that rolls through the summer, even if they scramble for podcast topics this time of year.
  3. Good Ole Podcast: 247, I like what Jacquie has been doing over there, brings a lot of the incoming football and some basketball players on in get to know you interviews.
  4. Virginia Gameday Podcast: a bit less structured, Casey basically rides solo taking latest games. He does cover baseball but more, gets some interviews too.
  5. LRA: obvious goat. Biggest question, there’s like 3 different titles to subscribe to (LRA (2x), Jay Willy Show), so I find episodes pop into feed more than 1x
  6. The Ballhawk Show: Ahmad Hawkins, mostly football with some basketball, although most of the time not UVA centric.
  7. Jerry Radcliffe Show: I’ve seen the back and forth Jerry chatter, lot of opinions out there. For me, it’s not my go to podcast, but depending on topic or guest, I’ll sometimes queue it up.
  8. Wahoo Central: Jeff White interviews different sports coaches and players. Love that this covers variety of sports that get less coverage. Good interviews generally
  9. Hoos Hoopin: newer pod, basketball focused… a little raw, but like the feel, underrated.
  10. Guys in Ties: kinda blends in with the rest, haven’t listened enough to comment much.
  11. Around the Rotunda: not sure if this is still going, don’t remember much
  12. The Hill podcast: OGHoo talking football.
  13. TheSabre.com podcast: been a while, but remember liking it
  14. Reel and Barber podcast: pretty good content, although they cover VT too, so often skip those parts
    15: Hoos Together: covers variety of sports, hosted by Quin Blanding and Lauren Moses
  15. Preferred Walk-ons: one UVA alum, one NCSU, they talk more general ACC/NCAa, but still ongoing during summer, not bad.

Also, in season they have weekly interview with Tony Bennett, and I think coach Mox posted on FB, but don’t think it is available on podcast apps.

Non-sports

1. Inside UVA: president Jim Ryan interviews UVA people past/present. Not a lot of episodes, but I enjoy them.
  2. UVA Speaks: interviews, typically only listen if topic sounds interesting
  3. HoosWhere: haven’t given this much run, interviews with alums by Chase Minnefield and Max Milien.
  4. HoosInSTEM: talks progress in Science/Tech/Engineering/Math, kinda my wheelhouse, so I like this one a bit for non-sports.

Did I miss any, any that anyone wants to prop up?

10 Likes