CALEB HOUSTAN

Oh I’m sure they’re all telling him that. Heck they all tell Kaufman that too. Difference is UVA’s focus is on developing him as a guard. More importantly, they have a track record of playing similar players there while the others don’t. Virginia’s very attractive right now to all these jumbo wings. They’re strictly fours to most teams in the small ball era.

Oh sorry missed the Kaufman question. Personally, I don’t see them getting one after the other, no. While very different, they’re being sold pretty much the same vision. Too big of a hurdle for the 2nd one in very close recruitments.

6 Likes

I tried to say that yesterday but I didn’t want to argue about it. It’s actually a HUGE advantage to have defenders with length in the Packline. Remember how tough Oregon’s “D” was with the length? Give that length to CTB! You can see where this is headed with all of the wings we are recruiting. Do not count out Kaufman, just yet either. However, I know I’m going to ignite something but kiss Keels goodbye if we get Houstan!!

1 Like

If they get him do they move on from Keels also? I mean with Jabri, Murphy, Casey & Carson it gets really crowded. Keels is not scared of competition but Houstan is one of the top ranked guys also.

1 Like

While I agree that Virginia may choose to drift away from Kaufman to a combo 4/5. I think this is why they checked in on Bediako. I think they would also be content with waiting for 22’s or to see what transfers may be available. However, I would not be surprised to see Kaufman at UVA because all of his suitors may be somewhat deep at his position, even Indiana if they were to get Hopkins.

2 Likes

Personally, I think they are already moving on somewhat but you would never hear anyone admit such. They took Murray, heating up with Houstan, and heating things up with McKneely. You could see the signs and recall the trends of our staff. Like HGN stated, there is a deadline with CTB. That’s what I love about his recruiting. He doesn’t zero-in and then wait too long. He has shown on many occasions that he will move on. Listen to him compare recruiting and dating.

3 Likes

I think it’s more the other way around. All these verdicts are going to come in at once. Just because one is announced before the other doesn’t mean they were actually decided that way.

4 Likes

Stop trying to make moving on from Keels happen. He’s been the guy since the beginning. Unless they hear for sure it’s a no then they will stay as involved as possible.

3 Likes

Take a look at who else UNC is recruiting. Quite a list! Quite a few that are rated higher.

Both UNC and Indiana forums allude to Roy Williams amping it up with Kaufman/personally heating things up with Kaufman. Still think it’s too late given how deep Indiana and UVA are in it.

Kaufman posted a quote in his IG stories yesterday that made my DMs. Don’t be afraid of making decisions that upset other people. You’re not responsible for their happiness. Probably nothing but you could certainly interpret that as a good sign for UVA and UNC.

19 Likes

How involved has Bennett been with Houstan? I would guess some to an extent but is he as deeply involved as he is with Keels and Kaufman?

1 Like

Bennett is involved with every recruit they offer now. That’s the whole point of the shift to waiting to offer until he’s ready to give that attention. It’s just that he’s never met Houstan, while Williford has been a regular at Montverde the past two years recruiting other guys.

5 Likes

In my opinion UNC is more in it than people are giving them credit for. That destination may be very enticing for him but there may be others ahead in the pecking order. However, that could change if others delay or commit elsewhere. Also, take a look at their roster and who they are still recruiting.

That’s interesting he hasn’t met him yet. To me, if a decision is soon, the other schools involved with direct contact with the HC might have the upper hand.

1 Like

I don’t think face to face contact is that important, especially in the current climate. Sounds like they’ve built a good relationship via zoom

2 Likes

Maybe I misunderstood what HGN was saying, whether it was a face to face meeting or contact through Zoom. If they’ve been in contact through Zoom, they’ve met.

3 Likes

Houstan’s recruitment is reminiscent of Andrew Nembhard a couple years ago. Same school and AAU program, surely some of the same people involved. Nembhard also did the summer reclass that everyone knew was coming. He never announced scholarship offers, then sprung a final list with UVA in it. There wasn’t much indication of who was really involved. And then the only July live period he played, at an event in Canada, Mike White showed up while none of the other head coaches did. In other words, it was done for Florida when the list came out. I don’t think it’s quite that way here but might be close. If recruiting were open, I suspect there wouldn’t be much mystery at all.

2 Likes

Just curious, now that it’s October, do you have a sense how things play out with the 3 targets listing UVa? Seems like all schools involved feel good. Usually by now there is a read but it’s 2020, nothing is normal.

1 Like

I would say that is potentially very telling if you really think about it!

Houstan to UVA, Keels to Duke, and Kaufman to UVA or UNC.

3 Likes