CALEB HOUSTAN

Yes, he does! Like Murray, he would be a perfect fit for the UVA program! Kaufman would compliment them perfectly!

2 Likes

I like how on the tipton edits insta post, the first comment is a ā€œUVA!ā€ from Taine Murray lol. Wonder if they ran into eachother at any of the NBA without Borders camps

14 Likes

This also describes Trey Murphy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Have we told him heā€™ll have to redshirt just like Dre?

Would Houstan at all be a risk to go pro out of HS? I understand that this is a pretty pessimistic question, but youā€™re almost obligated to ask it nowadays when dealing with a top 10 caliber prospect.

No. He has a lot to work on. 2 year prospect is the bet

2 Likes

Heā€™s a little doubt future NBA player, so the G-League option is there. No indication heā€™s interested though. Heā€™s one of these guys that isnā€™t nearly as valuable a recruit as the ranking suggestsā€¦ Youā€™re hoping to get one good season out of him, just a question of when it comes. And thereā€™s the risk that it ends up one year as a role player and gone. The only way he isnā€™t a first round pick any year eligible is injury or major disappointment.

2 Likes

What do you mean heā€™s not as valuable a recruit as his ranking suggests? Please clarify?

Heā€™s a top 10 player but not a OADā€¦similar to Efton Reidā€¦plenty of people are saying heā€™s not close to being a pro yet but he is close to 5* statusā€¦

2 Likes

I donā€™t know how to clarify any better than I did. itā€™s not a knock on him. He could enter the NBA draft after one year without being a college star. Lots of players do. Heā€™ll have that option. Heā€™s more talented than Trey Kaufman for example, but Trey will almost surely make a major impact during his college career. Caleb might too, itā€™s not nearly as sure of a thing.

3 Likes

Hoo knows what will happen ā€“ but my Wahoo gut says that we will land either Houstan or Kaufman within the next 2 weeks. Houstanā€™s recruitment feels like JARā€™s ā€“ fast and furious. And Kaufman is a smart lad who will think about grabbing that brass CTB ring before it retracts.

4 Likes

Cam Reddish situation. Bad season but too much potential/talent to not be drafted.

2 Likes

I think we land Houstan as well. Yes it does seem like JARā€™s recruitment. I would love to have Kaufman but Iā€™m worried about UNC and Indiana. I feel UNC intriguing but loaded and Indiana has space but prefers us. Just a gut.

3 Likes

I agree that Kaufman could have a longer and maybe bigger college impact. Itā€™s possible.

Maybe Patrick Williams at FSU is a better comparison? Reddish was the third best recruit out of his class

1 Like

Mock drafts arenā€™t worth much this far out, and this one in particular isnā€™t all that credible period. But I always appreciate this guy for doing them years into the future for my own reference. Anyway he has Houstan at 10 overall in 2022. Only other one google pulled up left him out. Morsell in them both, early 2nd, late 1st.

3 Likes

Based on our current roster projection, it would seem to benefit the program more to have Kaufman above Keels or Houstan. Fills a bigger need and gives us a type of player we currently lack. Adding just Murray and Kaufman would be a major win. Nice to keep an open scholly given the potentially bountiful transfer market.

3 Likes

I agree, except feel Houstanā€™s ability, versatility, and ceiling makes him a no-brainer. I feel they will continue to recruit Kaufman but hold the scholarship if he chooses to go elsewhere.

2 Likes

Are we assuming first come, first served in terms of the three? First to say yes? Or is there an implied right of first refusal?

1 Like

Good question. I agree itā€™s debatable but feel itā€™s Keels or Houstan with the possibility of Kaufman irregardless. I think they would take the first to choose between Keels and Houstan. However, I feel like we either know Keels destination or have chosen to move forward. I canā€™t see any way that we would turn Houstan down. If Iā€™m not mistaken, and he were to commit, he would be the second highest-ranked Menā€™s Basketball commit ever. Thanks Ralph!!

3 Likes