CALEB HOUSTAN

I dont think we are moving on from keels. But I definitely don’t think we are trending in the right direction at the moment. Just a hunch

Officially yeah. Not really though. It’s all how the coaches manage the conversations, schedule catlls etc. They’re not missing out on Keels or Kaufman to get Houstan. Now whether my or anyone else’s ideas about who rules out who is right, that’s up for debate.

4 Likes

Theoretically, UVA has a 78% chance to get 1 of the 3. They also theoretically would have a 1.65% chance to get all 3 (assuming they had the extra scholarship available) :wink:

10 Likes

How does Murphy"s skillset compare and/or fit with Keels, Kaufman, and Houstan.

1 Like

Murphy = Lebron. Kaufman = Kuzma. Houstan = Morris.

I’m deferring all math problems to @Kyuspark from now on. Welcome to LRA, appreciate the support!

5 Likes

Murphy - Kevin Durant, Houstan - Klay Thompson / Reggie Miller, Kaufman - Anthony Gill

3 Likes

I think this would be an interesting, new frontier for the program- and I love it. On this current 7 year run, the Hoos have obviously shown the ability to maximize T50-100 talent, win a ton, and develop select guys into solid NBA role players. This has led to knocking on the door with tier one guys, and increased the overall depth of tier two guys nabbed in the last two classes. However, looking at the current Hoos in the NBA, the count is still less than 10- with one near max guy (Malcolm), one super role player about to get paid (Joe), lotto with potential (Dre), long term vet (Mike Scott), and potential young guys looking to carve a roster spot (KG, Ty, Devon). The rest are overseas or G League potential.

I think a few things are a given- if the program continues to win at a high level, the second tier level of guys will be available, and the Hoos will always be a top choice for the second-chance transfer options. The next stage is increasing that number of NBA guys who once wore a Hoos uniform. That, in combination with being one of the best player development programs in the country, will sustain this run and give the Hoos the chance to be the standard bearer of the ACC- especially with Coach K and Roy retiring soon.

I think any of the three elite guys would be fantastic additions- and we should welcome if any one of them (or multiple) come. We should always welcome talent. It raises the collective depth, guards against guys who may not pan out, and leads to recruiting rise when those guys pan out. To round this out, I will say- despite maybe having a slightly inflated ranking, Houstan would be the highest ranked recruit in the CTB era by a decent margin…if we are touting ourselves as one of the elite player development programs in the country, do we really have any doubt we’d maximize a Top 10-15 guy?

10 Likes

If 2022 is the double draft with both OADs and HS kids, a lower tier OAD might want to wait an extra year to go top 10 instead of late teens.

IDK i think if you’re guaranteed a guaranteed NBA contract (1st rounders) you take it

2 Likes

Enough about Trevor Keels today…

5 Likes

Yesterday’s announcement has certainly precipitated a welcome wave of euphoria here. While I realize that covid-19 has altered recruiting this year, and that the national championship has had its effect, I am still not confident that any of Virginia’s remaining targets will commit to the Cavs. Things seem to be falling into a familiar pattern, and I am unsure that Sars-CoV-2 and a trophy has changed things that much. That said, I am still happy and optimistic. As I type, the roster is in better shape than I can ever recall (with the exception of any team which had Ralph Sampson on it). And, with no unanticipated attrition, it will remain so for the next two to three years. There are no pressing needs, IMO. There are no immediate impediments to success. At the highest levels. Taine Murray might be the ideal addition. And, if neither Kaufman, Keels, or Houstan decide to join Coach Bennett, I won’t be shocked if the staff adds a transfer power forward in the spring. I get it that everyone seems focused on the potential shiny new toys, but there is a roster full of talent waiting to begin play, and most of them will be with us for years to come. It’s good to be a 'Hoo!

3 Likes

Houstan is a breath of fresh air even if he picks Alabama, Duke, or Michigan. No deception!

2 Likes

I starting to believe we will at least hold the last scholly for a power forward or big, if we don’t get Kaufman. I think we have a better shot with Houstan than most believe.

1 Like

The deception talk is crap to be honest. You mention Houstan. Most Gonzaga people thought they would be in his Final 4. Did he deceive them some way to thinking it?

These are 17 year old HS kids making a college choice. It’s not gonna impact world events.

15 Likes

Gonzaga fans talked themselves into thinking they were one of his favorites. Probably the fanbase most interested and vocal regarding him. I didn’t see much to confirm their enthusiasm but thought maybe I had missed something. Have heard all along UVA was positioned well but the cut list timing was surprising

1 Like

I respect your perspective. However, the deception can make a difference for a coaching staff and their families livelihood. It’s also not conducive to building the trust between coach and player. You and me can move on because this is just a hobby for us.

Give me a break, man.

Kids that play a game for free are risking a coach’s livelihood? Coaches who make hundreds of thousands and sometimes millions of dollars while contractually owing nothing to the kid??

11 Likes

Post less.

5 Likes

I still don’t think this guy is a Hoo. He’s trying to sabotage our chances with Keels by posting stuff like this. Watch him disappear after this recruitment is done.

1 Like