CALEB HOUSTAN

Come on now can’t we get along

1 Like

I have been long-time die hard fan of all Wahoo sports since the early ‘80s, attended basketball camps twice while Terry was HC, and a former Football season ticket holder.

It’s just strictly my opinion with no harm meant. I Just enjoy hearing the different takes, opinions, and discussions. I’m a longtime subscriber of 247 and the Sabre but didn’t post very often because of seeing this happen to others. However, It’s an extremely exciting time to be a Wahoo fan.

3 Likes

It’s ok! I realize there’s a lot invested in Keels recruitment. I hope I’m wrong and if I am I can take it. Best case he becomes a Wahoo star and worst case we miss. However, we still have a very special program with a very special coach. Enjoy these special times and don’t get too invested in who we are recruiting but who chooses to be a Wahoo!

5 Likes

Calling our recruits dishonest etc. and then saying “no harm meant” doesn’t work.

Honestly, you need to stop impugning the motives of 17-year kids on UVa boards, esp with literally no evidence to back-up your claims. Until you stop doing that, I won’t believe that you’re a Hoo.

4 Likes

I think conversation has gotten derailed a bit. I think a general summary:

1. If our staff is recruiting a guy, they have done the work in terms of character, and thus we should trust that unequivocally.

2. Active social activity is not a character flaw or indication of lack of fit. Times have shifted from even 5 years ago. We should expect guys to be active, post updates, graphics, lists, etc. They put an extreme amount of time into their craft, and should be proud/excited for life-changing options and opportunities.

3. Being a life changing opportunity, due diligence and taking time to make a decision is prudent and should be expected. Again, not an indication of lack of fit, especially with the likelihood that those around the player may be the ones leaking information or tidbits.

4. The season starts in ~5 weeks, and the Hoos will be a consensus Top 5 team with a chance to win another title. Deep breath. This is a golden era…

19 Likes

In my opinion, I felt there was intentional deception coming from his camp to manipulate the narrative. I also made it clear previously that I don’t have any sources other than reading numerous articles and such. I’m not the only person to post and / or recognize such. Like I stated previously, I stand to be corrected and hope that I am wrong. However, this is a message board with opinions that create discussion. That’s only what I was trying to do, when starting this thread. I’m sorry if I offended anyone.

2 Likes

Well-spoken! What was concerning for me, was those advising and influencing him.

1 Like

There is no deception coming from any interviews Keels or any of his family members have done. It’s all based off what he’s posted on Instagram. And quite frankly imo if you are out of undergrad (or that age range if you don’t go to college) and do not personally know the kid you shouldn’t look his Instagram at all. And if you make the mistake of looking at a kid’s Instagram at least realize the posts are not directed at you or any other adult fan of a school.

3 Likes

Caleb Houstan notes in the Athletic this morning. Also an interview with his mom somehwere in this article or another athletic article I forget

1 Like

Oh no you are absolutely allowed to do whatever you want. But unless the kid is posting criminal content making character judgements about a 17 year old kid from Instagram is weird. If an adult can’t look at it without making those judgements they shouldn’t look at any social media of any high schooler they don’t personally know.

1 Like

Cliff notes for those w/o sub? anything we dont already know?

2 Likes

Personal connections with the coach matter. Also speculated that Duke has the edge (when do they not?) due to his relationship with RJ Barrett

1 Like

Nothing too groundbreaking - there’s a quote from his mom saying how Caleb has really valued relationships in his recruitment. One interesting tidbit is that the Athletic hypothesizes that Duke has the edge based on his relationship with RJ Barrett, which is not what we are seeing elsewhere.

1 Like

You beat me to it!

2 Likes

Now that’s somewhat concerning.

It’s really nothing new. I think Houstan is clearly their second option. If they miss out on their first targets, then they get more involved and yeah they probably get him. But that’s true regardless of his relationship with RJ Barrett

He would really thrive in our system, offensively!! I would also love to have the length of Murphy, Murray, JAR, Houstan, McKoy, in our Packline D!

2 Likes

His description of Virginia was very biased towards pace and defense. Not really glowing towards what we offer.

1 Like

Looks like Cameron Johnson 2.0 to me

2 Likes