Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

Okay, I watched. Now you gotta tell me who he’s talking about…

4 Likes

We’ll see when we’re doing more than “reaching out,” I guess, but it doesn’t feel like Tony wants to run back the ‘Jahvon Quinerly approach’ to finding our next PG recruit.

1 Like

interesting here. what was the Quinerly approach? Just went all in on one guy?

1 Like

I think the big takeaway from his comment is he only reached out to one 2021 top prospect this morning and not two. So is it Reid or Keels that might not still be in play?

1 Like

reading way too much into it maybe? I think Tony and the other two assistants can also reach out to recruits/idk if Williford is involved in recruiting both.

If I had to take a guess, it was Reid Williford reached out to, since he is both 1)in-state/RVA and 2) a big man which Williford coaches.

1 Like
2 Likes

It’s become more myth than reality. Bennett did as he always does, zeroed his attention in early on his top target. Not much different than Trevor Keels this time around. In fact, they’ve done a lot more with Keels or Beekman a year ago, and several others we didn’t get in recent years.

I think fans remember the Quinerly ordeal differently because it started so early. 2017 recruiting was impossible with 1 scholarship on the heels of the big '16 group so they just skipped ahead. It would be like if 2022 were the total focus since April and we were still talking about the same guy next summer. Fatigue was strong.

2 Likes

Is it just me or did Virginia Tech just set up a war dialer with a “we’re recruiting you” message and just let it run? Im finding it hard not to see a recruit on Twitter or IG not mention being contacted by them.

Im getting a bit put off that the war dialer skipped calling me. :frowning:

2 Likes
1 Like

@HoozGotNext how do you do searches to pull Virginia info on Twitter? It seems difficult to me since the name of our school is the name of the state.

True tip of the trade here!

Searcher accounts. I follow every relevant account, constantly adding new ones, and use the search those you follow option. It requires several because the option only works for the 1K most recent follows. And every year or so I have to start fresh because follows get dated fast. Lots of turnover in media, coaches, etc. It’s quite a chore.

4 Likes

50 reports from yesterday. Fifty. Guarantee there were 20-30 more unreported.

1 Like

I’m getting a little nervous McKneely hasn’t committed yet. His name sounds a little like Keels so we might be in trouble here.

4 Likes

Yep I think it’s safe to assume it was Reid or Keels. Doesn’t necessarily mean Reid because Jwilly coaches bigs. It’s safe to assume he’s the defacto lead recruiter for all our priority guys with Tony batting clean up.

Gonna do a write up eventually on all this. I started last night trying to get tidbits just from some of the 2022s that are more familiar with UVA, have visited etc. Little success so far. I did talk to Tyler Nickel’s high school coach. He got a call from Bennett yesterday, heard from Willy too. Ditto for Noah Batchelor.

5 Likes

Good deal. Will be interesting to pair your intel against what JWill said on the show, he talked via phone to only 7 kids I think. That sounds like two of them.

2 Likes

Definite trend. Same story from Devin Dinkins, the Gonzaga (DC) PG that visited this season.

3 Likes

@HoozGotNext I dont know if you subscribe to the Athletic but the guy Eammon who covers Virginia basketball did an article on top 10 Uva recruits since the modern recruiting services and the bottom 5. Think you might find interesting along with @Merch and of course entire LRA community

6 Likes

Saw it. Worth the read if you’re subscriber. The worst 5 was kinda weird though with Landesburg in there. I guess I get the point of view but the guy was great while he lasted.