Dream Recruits (maybe non-UVA related)

Really good defensive IQ

We donā€™t often get athletes who can hang in the air long enough to change their mind twice and still make a quality play ā€¦ but when we do , I prefer it.

5 Likes

Closest on my dream watch to actually being on UVAā€™s radar is Drew McKenna. Skilled 4 man from Baltimore. A guy who adds both shooting and defensive versatility (heck even Kon Knueppel had a poor shooting night recently against Pewaukee)

Will be interesting to see what his recruitment looks like and if we get involved. Heā€™s the kid that when williford went to watch him didnā€™t miss a shot for like two games in a row or something close to that at DMV live. He was also only one of like 7 kids Duke reached out to on opening day for the 2024 class (June 15th) so itā€™s not like heā€™s a hidden gem by any means lol.

2 Likes

@Richan34 posting here just to spare the other thread from kids who dont have UVA mentions but I like a lot. This is a good twitter find. But im also just a sucker for 6-6 to 6-8 solid athletes who shoot and hit open 3s with consistency.

So many damn mid major wings who would be studs with 2-3 years of Mike Curtis, Damin in the offseason, and most importantly learning how to play with the team construct with Tony and staff.

These guys are all so more interesting to me than Isaiah Abraham and Kon Knueppel. Have a toughness to their game and different psyche than kids heralded from a younger age. And a lot of kids ranked higher are just kids who have access to more trainers anyways ( a lot of that comes from being seen as high potential early on).

Kids who are also more likely to buy in and truly appreciate being at UVA. Our 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13th scholarship should go to kids like this, EJ Greer, Shaedon Simpson, Cooper Bowser, Braeden MicVicar, etc. etc.

That way when someone goes pro early or transfers out, instead of bringing in a transfer that complicates everything (in the aqe of NIL where our pool has shrunken in the portal) we can just go next man up with a kid who has good potential as well.

Super skilled guards, versatile wings, rim protectors who can shoot a 3. The 3 positions in basketball.

2 Likes

We have any interest at all with Edgecombe? Im putting him on my dream team

No idea. Staff for sure know about him. Whether he fits their roster projection or they think itā€™s a worthwhile waste of time (hard to get. Maybe handlers involved) idk. I know he follows Ryan Dunn on instagram.

1 Like

Looks really good. Hope we get involved

Get Maliq Brown in the portal. Get Reed Shepard when he escapes Kentucky fiasco.

Reece is gone. Get a grad transfer pg who shoots above 35% from 3 as well as 2:1 assist turnover ratio minimum.

Throw in one of these longterm wings and a project big and we in a good spot roster wise.

edit: Alternatively. Get a grad transfer forward and then take both cooper bowser and that MacVicar kid and redshirt them. Will probably be a few years before either of them see the court anyways. so they would be developing behind Buchanan.

Thereā€™s a freshman in D2 tearing it up right now. Its more impressive for me to be a freshman from the 2022 class droping 19 pts a game in D2 rather than doing what others have been doing and classing down to 2023. Would have 3 years left but thatā€™s more than fine. And doesnā€™t scare off Daniel Freitag/easily co-exist at the 1-2.

Named Bennett
His dad was his high school coach.
Thereā€™s a clip from aau of a dunk during a game (ā€œjustā€ a simple baseline dunk) but I saw it was against Isaac Traudtā€™s Nebraska Supreme and Traudtā€™s team was down 11 oof.

All I see are his HS highlights on hudl. Also want to find his 3pt shooting percentage. The shot looks good. And heā€™s a good athlete. 3 to 1 assist turn over ratio at 5 assists a game.

Plays like a UVA point guard should.

1 Like

Kinda makes me think of Reeceā€¼ļøgoing to the basket

2 Likes

(A twitter account Kyle Getter follows)

1 Like

The D2 Gabe Cupps maybe ha

3 Likes

Cupps wishes he had that pull up over a screen shot.

Apparently this kidā€™s d2 team is the #1 team in D2 too. Have to imagine heā€™s headed to D1 somewhere after this season. Especially if they win the national title. Averaging 20 and 5 on the top team in your division in your true first year can only mean a move up.

2 Likes

One of my brotherā€™s high school teammates, Victor Coleman, hooped at NW Mo State way back in the day. Vic was a great player and even greater person. Heā€™s one of only 3 players selected in the NBA draft out of NW Mo State (back when there were like 12 rounds in the draft). Maybe Bennett can be the fourth (unless he transfers to UVA, that is).

4 Likes

NW Mizzu St. Bearcats are a dynasty. Dragon got a big in there if we wanna make contact. Wife played ball there and the current coach was on the menā€™s team while she was there and they are friends.

10 Likes

What are my rules of contact here? I may or may not have a trip to Maryville lined up this spring and want to make the most of it.

2 Likes

No words and just a bag handoff doesnā€™t count as contact right?

9 Likes

I mean itā€™s Maryville 20 bucks and a tin of dip should get the job done

7 Likes

I think the term ā€œboosterā€ is so loosely defined that youā€™ve already said too much.

All your LRA information would be submissible by court order. But I donā€™t have a JD YMMV.

I feel you though.

2 Likes

Iā€™m just a supportive husband traveling with his spouse to enjoy an alumni weekend.

9 Likes