Enigmas Wrapped in Riddles (Languages & Cultural Differences Around the World)

That fits as Happy Days was set in Milwaukee if I remember correctly :grinning:

1 Like

Nothing fits that obviously… but it did remind me of this one…

Alt Holz brennt besser als junges

Old wood burns better than young wood

2 Likes

Feeling more inspired to have a couple of pints of the black stuff this weekend…

3 Likes

Vulnerable moment: does anyone else say "watch back " when asking someone to move or to look out?

Said this all my life no clue where it came from had my boy call me about it once.

1 Like

A lifetime of military training has me say “by your leave…”

1 Like

would add the your or yo in middle. Watch yo(ure) back

One annoying thing in like Central Park “on your left!” if someone passing you

1 Like

If we’re talking pronunciations, I’ve always enjoyed this guy’s analysis of actors’ accents. Just interesting to listen to a linguist break down the small things that separate how we talk. He’s got a number of vids on youtube:

3 Likes

That makes sense but I’ve never said it that wY maybe it’s a N C thing

Love this kinda thing

1 Like

Watched a few of these they are very interesting. I once spent about an hr on a road trip workshopping my Irish kiwi English scottish and aussie accent. This is how i would pass the time in a car.

2 Likes

A good one in Brasil. The slang word for condoms is camisinha (little shirt) and is also the word used to describe the thermos thing that you put beer in to keep it cold.

2 Likes

I think also for most of us GRINGO has semi negative conotations but in Brasil is literally the common word for any foreigner. One of my basketball nicknames in Bahia was Gringo!

So if you get called gringo its all good!

Few other words similar but more racey I would say. Used as term of indearance depending on inflection etc. Words that translate badly into english

1 Like

Ha those are the ones I’d love to inow the origin story.

1 Like

In rugby we’d do the same NZ = kiwi i did it above on this thread unknowingly. There’s a few other less savory ones for kiwis that can also apply for welsh and scotts.

But if I’m with the islanders we’d call any white person a howlie. Not ment as disrespect.

1 Like

It is now. That shit didn’t exist back in the seventies. Not in the US, anyway.

3 Likes

Man Frap may be the worst word ever for milkshake @chavlicek15 you ever call it that?

2 Likes

Frap is an awful word and now I’m hearing it through the most obnoxious Boston accent… trbl

2 Likes

I heard “the devil is beating his wife” all the time growing up in the bucolic hamlet of Charlottesville, VA. Still use it, but now I get a WTF? look from my friends here in California.

Somebody mentioned the Anglicism “sod off” in the previous thread. For those who haven’t figured it out yet, “sod” is short for “sodomize”–so “sod off” is basically “f*** off,” only a little more specific.

4 Likes

Yep. Along the same lines as “bugger off,” which you also hear Brits say from time to time. Buggery is a synonym for sodomy.

1 Like

:eyes: That sentence is an R away from belonging on the hub. Read that a little too quickly.

1 Like