Fall Recruiting Action

I think Georgia Tech And Virginia Tech can field good competitive teams on a constant basics.

Itā€™s kind of becoming undeniable. Just look at the lineup of names and their prestige of the basketball coaches that now make up the SEC, an unquestioned football first conference, and the ACC suffers in comparison.

2 Likes

Some of the best coaches are in the SEC nowā€¦ Duke and UNC hires were weak! UNC will always be a blue blood, so theyā€™ll be fine in the long run, but I think Duke is in troubleā€¦ only a matter of time before their OADā€™s look elsewhere, i.e SEC. And, I have strong doubts Scheyer is the kind of coach that would know how to build a traditional roster.

See thatā€™s the problem though. We shouldnā€™t even need to discuss VT in basketball. State, Syracuse, GT, Notre Dame, Wake, and Pitt all have the history and facilities to give the ACC a strong middle class. They shouldnā€™t all be down at the same time. Itā€™s either an unfortunate coincidence or the difference in $$$$ is starting to be felt in basketball.

4 Likes

Half-baked, off the dome, theory: the bigger conferences are tough for the hoops teams you mentioned. ACC has always had a pretty ironclad top tier of UNC and Duke. Weā€™ve joined in the last 5-7 years or so. Louisville is kinda there, kinda precarious. And this may not be popular, but Duke and UNC are RSTLNE. Theyā€™re carved in stone. So in any given year there is room for another 2 or 3 top teams. And weā€™ve had a stranglehold on one of those spots. That chokes off good non-con tourneys, ACC talking head attention, prominent prime time placement, etc. Itā€™s not totally zero sum, but to a certain extent, it is. In other leagues, you canā€™t really have more than 3-5 good teams in any given year either, but itā€™s been MUCH more fluid, and that fluidity allows other teams to creep up. Even in the SEC, yes, Bama, Auburn, Arkansas have been impressive, but Florida has dropped off quite a bit, for example.

Anyway, I will have to mull on this one ā€¦

[Being a smaller conference is also, IMO, why it always looks like the Big 12 is the best or second best conference when you just look at statsā€¦]

1 Like

Obviously my work has kept me from being up to date. Did Nickel commit to UNC?

After about 3 hours of commentary from his head coach and the WHSV ā€œhostā€, yeah.

2 Likes

Yup

1 Like

I remember during the live-action period HGN said this was one name to remember. I like what I see in the limited clips you find online (Ryan Dunn redux in lack of game footage online). 6ā€™8/6ā€™9 forward who is a rim protector but also mobile in the mold of Mamadi. Figure these kinds of players will be our new 5s. Imagine the days of Caffaro and Salt are long gone :frowning:

You have to click the white arrows The third slide is Dylan James highlights vs GG Jackson (Dylan James 13 blue/ GG 23 white)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRUun2Ggp6q/

2 Likes

:sob::sob:

2 Likes

Yeah it was coming a mile away. Pretty sure staff already knew/Tony got his answer when he went to Oak Hill.

1 Like

That is a shocking development.

2 Likes

Not sure why but I really like him. Also could never tell in video how good he really is

Knew it was coming, just sad to see

4 Likes

Heā€™s a trevor keels to the dot. Good kid and probably liked Tony the best but that Duke indoctrination, especially for a Carolina kid who grew up a fan, is hard to overcome.

At least we got a moon edit out of it!
:man_shrugging:

5 Likes

more like brainwashed. But I want him to be really good. Except when he cant bring the ball up the court vs Reece

7 Likes

Tipton just put up that Caleb Foster told him on August 13th!

1 Like

I mean it makes sense. Thats when Jamie Shaw put out his ā€œDuke is starting the 2023 class strongā€ tweet. Im sure Tony knew too but wanted to get one last visit in to see him and try to sway him otherwise off that soft verbal (like how our football team had 100 soft verbals and then didnt lol). Keep recruiting him until he announces. Also let tony stay close to get ready for Dunnā€™s visit.

2 Likes

Tipton needs to be smarter than that. Loser

1 Like