Football Coaching Hot Board

Bingo

1 Like

But the thing is, once you know the format, and who gets picked / how they get picked, you play to the format. I was there 95-98 (football seasons) and I think we had top 12 talent both of those years. We were never going to be one of the top two teams as selected by a bunch of AP writers or back room bowl pickers or whatever BS picking system they used back then, so trying to fit our results neatly into the new structure doesn’t necessarily work. I guess what I’m saying is those teams would’ve been in contention

1 Like

The number of coaches who can bit the bullet and get facilities in place are few. Even fewer when you consider the coaches willing to take this job. Unless Carla is able to throw a ton of money at an established coach, Dex is the only conceivable hire to get UVa to the next phase

No argument on the talent in 1995. I still think that was our best team ever. We just lost razor thin games against Michigan, UNC, Texas & Tech. Our OOC schedule was brutal that year…I just don’t think a 4 loss team gets in, in any format. Maybe if we had replaced Michigan or Texas with a cupcake that year.

3 Likes

In a vacuum my 3 favorite candidates would be

1. Dan Lanning (Carla’s georgia connection but apparently he’s still in contention for Oklahoma job and UVA wants to have a hire by next week which lends even more credence to Pointdexter)

2. Josh Gattis. Solid young coordinator who has familiarity of recruiting our area. Also was able to develop coaching at top spots (was co-offensive coordinator at Bama for a year amongst other stops)

3. Jeff Monken. Revitalized Army football and turned the tide vs Navy. Is used to working with high standards for recruiting and can bring toughness. Also comes from a strong football family lineage (cousin is OC at Georgia, many others in his family have played and coached).

That being said it sounds like every day we get closer to Pointdexter. I absolutely was one of the first to advocate bringing him back as our DC. But not sure about head coach. Depends on who else is hired.

3 Likes

I don’t know why people think Dex would get the money flowing.

Let me be clear: Dex is one of my all time favorite Hoos. Would love to see him as our DC and heir apparent, but he would be a very risky hire. There just isn’t much evidence that he’s ready for the big job, which is really more about management and then making the big decisions in game. I’m not saying he wouldn’t be the next Bellicheck. I’m just saying there’s no real evidence that supports an expectation of success.

Without that expectation, why are the big money donors going to put up the money? He could be a disaster. He could be a terrible coach. We don’t know. I think we need to go with a safer play here, because if the next guy fails, the program is buried. Permanently Duke status.

4 Likes

Again @WFS_HOO is able to better articulate what I wanted to say. This isn’t a knock on AP. I just want him to be in the best position for success and I don’t think taking this job right now is that position.

1 Like

Because donors have said they would open up their checkbook if hired.

Just read on ESPN that according to “sources”, the internal options are Anae and 2J. I doubt we go internal, but I never even considered 2J.

Lol. No.

ESPN should be your last source for uva scoop.

Internal options would be Hagans or Beck

1 Like

Oh I’m with you there. Everyone has Anae on their lists cause he’s an easy lazy inclusion. Tujague though, is too out there to be something they just made up out of thin air. “Sources” must be having some fun messing with them.

1 Like

If qualifications are based on chin-size then no one has ever been as qualified as 2J.

2 Likes

In a perfect world, Anae would never be my choice, but his selection would make some sense, wouldn’t it?
It would likely stabilize the coaching staff and recruitment for this year, and retain the offense that really worked. Bring in AP as DC. Given Anae’s age, there is a natural expiration date to his tenure, presumably leading to a transition to AP in 3-5 years. If for some reason AP can’t turn around the defense, then Beck could be the HC in waiting.

2 Likes

I’d be ok with Anae if we brought in Dex as DC and promoted Hagans to OC. But Anae is a Bronco guy…would he even accept?

1 Like

Depends what the real story is with Bronco and UVa. If it really is just a burn-out/Bronco idiosyncrasy thing, then maybe Anae looks at it as a chance to finish what they all started – a last chance to run his own program and make a mark – a chance to help all his buddies find a soft landing spot.

2 Likes

Well hopefully that means 2J is open to sticking around. It took a decade and multiple staffs
to get the offensive line to where it should be and it would stink to blow it all up.

2 Likes

If Anae gets the job I riot. The crusade I waged against Bronco will be childs play compared to what I do to Bob

4 Likes

That’s Dr Bob to you.

5 Likes

yes.

1 Like

Me too.

But understand that I riot in an understated way. Basically I complain mildly on the internet. Sometimes I curse if I feel it is warranted.

Edit: usually if I curse I edit out the curse later. Don’t want my mom to see that shit.

7 Likes