🏀 GT at UVA, Sat, 9 Mar, 2000, ACCN

8 PM Eastern Saturday on ACC Network

11 Likes

I think I like the way our most recent starting lineup matches with GT.

Reece - George (he defended Kelly well in the first game, but we need point of attack defense on George to take away their ball screen game)
Dunn - Kelly
IMac - Reeves (more comfortable matchup with Reeves being a spot up guy)
Groves - Gapare (not really an offensive threat)
Minor - Ndongo

Our one-on-one post defense wasn’t great in the first game, so that will need to improve.

6 Likes

Or we could just have Eli guard Kelly a lot and keep Dunn inside where he belongs for rebounding and rim protection

2 Likes

Hope we have a big enough lead that Tristan How plays and gets a bucket on his senior night

7 Likes

Rogers hitting that 3 against Cuse may contend for the loudest moment in JPJ’s history.

4 Likes

Need to win this with a classic defensive performance. GT is young and will fold by second half if we’re playing our best defense, regardless of whether we’re hitting shots.

6 Likes

Yep. Biggest thing is keeping our wits about us if they hit a few back to back and we are slumping.

Can’t let it cause us to spiral on defense.

Since GT lost to Louisville on Feb. 10, they have been playing like the 79th best team.

46th best defense and 129th best offense.

Biggest concern is between the ears.

• Will guys feel the pressure to make the NCAAT
  • Will guys feel overwhelmed to win Sr day for Reece etc
  • Will guys still be in their own heads from the Duke game
  • How will Tony coach this game. Will guys be free and loose or so worried about making mistakes after what was surely a rough ass week of pratice.

As always with this team the first 4-5 mins will tell us a lot

8 Likes

I’m as bad at predicting the future as anyone, but I have a decent guess here…

5 Likes

Tony’s been very good coming off of byes, right? But then again, he’s been very good all the time so might not be easy to track any difference between his post bye and normal ACC record

Mixed this year. Went well against TAMU coming off a week after the Ft Myers tournament, not so well on the road at Wake a week after the NC State game. I guess you can say the same mixed results about the NE and Morgan State games, but just focusing on power conference opposition.

3 Likes

Think the break was needed mentally and physically. iMac has looked worn down the last few games and obviously some rest is good for all.

6 Likes

Yep. Hopefully it gave everyone a chance to get ready and make a final push.

I know this is kind of obvious, but I think we win if we defend the three well. When GT pulls off big wins it is generally because they get very hot; guys can’t get to them, giving them wide-open 3s that they make. Besides, the elite version of our defense better show up because who knows which offense will.

Against BC guys came out agressive and “risk” takey, relative to what we’ve seen. They didn’t finish super well but played with purpose and looked free.

1 Like

This year they have been terrible offensively coming off at least a week off. The only exception was against division two caliber, Morgan State.
So that’s the question is how sharp will they be shooting the ball?

1 Like

Happy Cake Day @DavetheWave & our humble admin @Spencer… my Cake Efficiency Rating (CER) is far in the positive today!

Marcus Scribner Comedy GIF by ABC Network

8 Likes

CER way more valuable than PER

4 Likes