Hoos Football Season 2022: A New Era

You would think the familiarity will help get an idea or guess tendencies. But as we all know Anae can be pretty off grid so it could be a dangerous game trying to guess the actions of a mad man.

But I’d sure love to see a revamped defense stick it to him and shut Cuse down.

7 Likes

I agree, but I’ll probably also enjoy the mini-meltdown when Anea gets a trash Syracuse team to hang 45 points on us while Brennan quits football halfway through the third quarter and Wolfolk goes 3-14 but runs for 80 yards while we put up 17 pts.

Anyway, I’m just saying, the possibilities for this game are endless!

7 Likes

I totally see this as real scenario at some point this season. I don’t think BA is fully on the bus right now.

3 Likes

Uh Oh

8 Likes

That’s not good. But also makes sense and follows along a similar thread to what I was talking about. Staff wants BA to go from a gun slinger to a QB, a thrower to a passer.

9 Likes

I have no clue but it reads like Uh Oh to me ha

1 Like

You’re reading it right.

That is definitely coach speak for “I don’t like the way you’re playing”

3 Likes

coach seems over the line in how much he calls out guys by name publicly.

6 Likes

It’s old school and real dicey tactic. Feel like if you do that and you win then he’s gritty old school and no nonsense guy. If he does it and they lose, then he’s out of touch with the modern player and not a players coach.

Time will tell.

7 Likes

Especially after calling him your “best player” etc. Hmmmmmm

2 Likes

Fwiw, slightly more context from Barber:

2 Likes

And that is why Content may be king but context is queen. Still agree with others concerns of the bluntness, getting that previous sentence and some context makes a big difference for me.

Been watching some tape today and the I’m starting to buy my philosophy that last year’s offense was easier for BA, the pre-snap reads were all he needed and the motion and formation created a lot of them. Now he’s learning to break down a defense in real time while trying to manage a system he’s not familiar with. It’s not an easy task for any QB.

4 Likes

My question is whether the staff can find a middle ground. BA may not be Tom Brady but I think he’s proven to be a talented guy and last year’s offense as a whole showed it’s possible for the group to complete passes and put up points. I know the staff has its own offensive philosophy but at some point you just have to scheme to the players you have. QB1 and all the receivers will turn over in the next season or two so it’s not like you’re losing out on the accumulation of knowledge of the system. Again, I’m not saying revert to air raid, but a good offensive coach should be able to incorporate some of the elements that made BA good last year so we can win some games this year.

6 Likes

Then there’s that adage if a coach sinks his teeth in his star, he’ll get everyone’s attention. Works best if he know his star can take the heat and still lead the team. The criticisms aren’t really toxic - trying to do too much to help his team, needs to let the plays happen in context, etc. There’s also the coaching approach of let the head coach do the reaming while the assistants do the building. We know Hagans is on the BA train.

I’m just not sure I see the issues on the field matching up with the criticism. I see either a lot of bad reads or errant throws, but I haven’t noticed a lot of hero ball or trying to thread the needle all the time. Seems to me he’s just having trouble picking up a new offense, isn’t on the same page with receivers as yet, and it’s affecting his confidence in where to throw the ball. This could well get sorted out with time and the team better in the long run for it.

BA needs to keep his chin up. His team and the fans love him and I suspect all the coaches all do too.

6 Likes

I said he was over the line, but I don’t necessarily read it as malicious. Honestly I think coach maybe just talks too much in the q&a like he’s nervous on a first date. He’s 3 post game pressers into his head coaching career so he’s probably got some things to learn from a PR standpoint. Hope he watches the basketball post games. CTB is a master of staying on message while using a lot of words to say very little.

3 Likes

I think you’re right about Coach Elliott has a little diarrhea of the mouth. Definitely has those new coach jitters. The context does change the narrative for me a little bit. But it does read as a coach who maybe doesn’t has the mastery of the subtle message.

I also think that plays into the difficulty of finding a middle ground between last years O and this years O.

I do wonder on the same/different level if some of BA’s issues are coming from an overload of information. Someone mentioned in another thread how comfortable he looked in the 2min on Saturday. Sometimes that happens because you’re going so fast you don’t think. It’s set up make a read and go, a simplified playbook. Maybe going with a little more tempo to take away some of the thinking could be beneficial to him.

3 Likes

Something tells me our guy @haney thinks alot. as does @Hooandtrue and both are great here ha

when it is time to criticize utilizing WE as opposed to the player goes a long way. Great point on content vs context by you guys

2 Likes

3 Likes

Not this guy I see and I post. All instinct and reaction. Wily vet of this LRA ish.

3 Likes