Hoos Football Season 2022: A New Era

I too am an air raid poster. No going through progressions or any of that shit. And I never punt. All hail marys all the time.

3 Likes

I didn’t call it out earlier because I’ve been over critical of TE but now it’s topical…

In his post game presser when talking about Hollins’ goal line fumble, he alluded to some saying it was Brennan’s fault but he goes on to essentially say, “regardless, no excuse for a RB to fumble at the goal line”.

I thought it was interesting way of saying “the QB maybe had a hand in it” when all he had to say was “Hollins can’t fumble there”. But again probably learning what he should and shouldn’t say still + definitely some issues btw QB and Coach.

WE cant fumble there. None of us

7 Likes

We have to take care of the ball. Everybody knows that.

4 Likes

Also the player that fumbled knows who it was. Highlighting the name in the media is rough.

Is why I have always appreciated your all inclusive WE are so fukked. A selfish forum teammate would say “yall are so… or I am so… or HGN is so fukked”.

3 Likes

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/20/49ers-to-sign-kurt-benkert-to-practice-squad/amp/

Jimmy G fairly fragile. Maybe, just maybe, Kurt gets a shot.

9 Likes

Punting is for cowards

1 Like

WE need to stop chewing on the TV power cord and peeing on the floor.

I’m trying the approach with my dogs, we’ll see how it goes.

7 Likes

Ain’t no we in team. Don’t put that evil on me ricky bobby.

3 Likes

Dogs plural. Man thats on you

3 Likes

I think Cory actually tried to change the spelling of TEAM to teaME just to accomodate… kidding kidding

7 Likes

Once again listening to the Cavs Corner podcast this AM, and noticing something that I think we’ve talked about here: they seem to be noticing that Elliott and staff COULD make the transition smoother for Brennan, but have decided that they want to rip off the band-aid and run the offense their way. At least so far.

I think that approach has pros and cons, but what I want to note is that it seems like that approach implicitly rejects the theory we’ve discussed/debated around a bit here: that Elliott needs a bowl year this year in order to generate positive momentum on the recruiting trail.

It’s the move of a guy who’s got confidence in what he’s doing and has confidence that he has a few years to get this right. We shall see.

5 Likes

Worth noting that while Elliotts offense is uncomfortable for BA, BA’s offense is also probably a bit out of Elliott’s wheel house. He’s made a career in the pro style offense, he’s not accustomed to doing the crazy Anae type actions to get guys open

4 Likes

He’s gonna have to find a happy medium if WRs can’t beat the press man of ILL and ODU

14 Likes

It’s an interesting topic for sure.

There’s a part of me (the coaching part) that admires and commends Elliott for sticking to his guns and believing in his system. I do believe he has time, likely ample time to prove himself a good coach or not. UVa is not the type of school that cans a coach after 3 years more or less 2 bad ones. So he has time. Does 2 bad years mean he won’t work probably/maybe?!?!

But back to my point I do recognize and appreciate him sticking to what he knows. I’ve said it myself as a coach if I’m going to fail I’m going to do it on my terms doing what I know. Should there be some latitude for growth or compromise probably. But I can understand why a young coach esp would bristle at that concept.

For better or for worst TB is gonna run pack-line and snail paced ball, he found a way to make it work and we accept it even when it doesn’t necessary make sense or work. It’s what coaches do.

4 Likes

My thoughts:

• There is a reason why college football runs ‘gimmick’ offenses - typically to account for talent disparity.
  • Absent of an NFL-caliber QB, the Clemson passing game struggled. I’m not ready to anoint TE’s passing game.
  • Des Kitching’s does not have experience coaching the passing game. His one year as OC (Vanderbilt 2010) was…not good. It’s Vandy but the offense averaged only 2 TDs per game.

I’m still leery on the future. It may take some cold reality before the coaching staff adjusts - just hope it doesn’t take until Year 3 to realize it.

5 Likes

Yeah. Its uncomfortable because BA’s been here longer than Elliott and we LOVE BA. So when we’ve got an awkward transition, we’re naturally going to side with wanting BA to do well, even though in the long-run we’re better off with Elliott’s vision.

Its an easy schedule this year, we’ve got a blistering passing attack and even a modest defensive upgrade should get us a 6-6 or 7-5 record and a bowl game. And it’d be fun to see BA have an incredible season and get drafted.

But is one decently good season worth putting off starting the rest of our lives, so to speak? At the moment, it certainly seems worthwhile. But in 5 years it probably won’t. I mean, assuming Elliott’s actually good.

1 Like

I think that’s the thing, I don’t know how much room there is for adjustment. My guess is Coach Elliott isn’t going to change his stripes and abandon the pro set. So either he gets guys that can fit and do the things he wants to do. And I don’t think he needs Clemson level talent to achieve acceptable UVa levels of success. Or it just doesn’t work.

3 Likes

The interesting wrinkle is that the NFL is watering down the “pro style” and incorporating more elements from the college game to gain an edge.

1 Like

Does anyone have any clue why sidelines hold up placards of incredibly dumb pictures between plays?

1 Like