Hoos Football Season 2022: A New Era

It’s the new trend and modern QB’s are dumb and can’t handle full playbooks. Is the short answer.

@Hoohoohoo yes we see more college in the pro’s now, but it’s still a long way from Mike Leach, what I consider the ultimate Air Raid practitioner.

2 Likes

Illinois is currently up 31-0 on Chattanooga (they were only 20 pt favorites) so we might’ve been playing a better team than we thought

1 Like

They’ll probably be a bowl team in the 6-6/7-5 range, their defense and DC are both legit. That being said we made them look way better than they are.

2 Likes

Gotta agree with all this. Illinois is a good team. I have them lower middle of the pack in the B1G. Hoos made them look like 2021 UGA.

2 Likes

This is why you can scheme up talent level based on recruiting rankings for offense, but the defensive talent you recruit generally correlates to your defensive performance rankings (unless you scheme them down like we did last year).

5 Likes

Love it and wish I could give it more thumbs up

1 Like
7 Likes

No they didn’t. 2021 UGA would’ve put up 50 and not allowed UVA over midfield.

Did we discontinue football and join the Big East yet?

1 Like

Sigh. I’d like to say I’m open to this option, but we really do need to give Coach Elliott some time.

In a way, its unfortunate Bronco didn’t stick around through the end of BA’s time. Then, assuming everything else magically turned out the same, Coach Elliott would have come in with really low expectations. Instead the pieces were there for the team to really hit the ground running IF the transition on offense went smoothly.

But it hasn’t. On defense things have gone great, but the offense isn’t clicking yet. And that was always a risk, there was 100% going to be a transition, and you never know how smoothly it’ll go. In fact, you kind of assume it won’t go smoothly which is part of why coaches need time before facing too much judgment.

5 Likes

I know we’d never actually do it. But if we did, I doubt most of my classmates (2016) would even notice.

2 Likes

But if we ever get good, it’ll be a pleasant surprise. I feel like my class (1999) just always expected us to be good, and got pretty disillusioned over the last 15 years or so…

Even to this day, I expect us to be able to get decent talent just because we replaced NFL all-pro RBs with NFL all-pro RBs in my day (and why not? They were running behind all-pros on the line – or at least St. Clair**).

** inaccurate - played a bunch of years, but never an all-pro

4 Likes

Must’ve been fun! We won 15 games total my 4 years. Only 7 ACC games. So can’t say I really blame my peers for being so apathetic about UVA football.

3 Likes

Brutal, your era is about the era when I was the most checked out for Virginia football. 14-18 I basically only used my season tickets for the big games and even then it was a gamble if I made it off the corner to the stadium.

@haney you were in school during my most intune era. My mom was a dean at the school between 90-97 so I basically lived on grounds and she had a ton of the athletes and a lot of perks came with that. 97-01 I was in HS and being recruited by the Welsh staff so I around the program a ton and it was a great time to be around knowing that the locker room was crawling with talent that actually increased in the next 2-3 yrs of the first Groh class.

5 Likes

Our class started with that Michigan game on move-in day, but had the FSU game our first year too and ended with the Hawkins VT game (and the kick in the nuts Peach Bowl vs UGA). It was all downhill from there.

5 Likes

Great games! That 98 Peach Bowl was fun, but ended terribly. Ironically, I always rooted for Michigan growing up (for no good reason), so that game turned me around quickly.

1 Like

The biggest/most memorable games for me came during that 94-98ish window. The FSU games, the collapse again GT in 98, the VT Hawkins, both Peach Bowls etc.

What are the statement games of the last 22 yrs?
VT 03
Boise in 14/15
USC in person in 08 was pretty cool to see, great road game the following year
ND in 15 when Hoos had them on the ropes?

Legit question.

1 Like

Brutal

As far recently, there was a good win v FSU in the aughts. The Pearman hook and lateral was pretty great.

Bronco’s win vs VPI was his high water mark, I guess.

2 Likes

That team was so damn talented and a win that day would have been huge. But to your point look at the roster of that team and compare it to any roster in last 15 yrs… yikes

2 Likes

That was a great play now that I think about it.

The Bronco over VPI win is kinda strange, because on the whole not that impressive not a great VPI team not a great UVa team. But the bar was so low after 15 yrs of sucking that win counts as a high water mark.

1 Like