Hoos Football Season 2022: A New Era

Biscuit beating FSU in 05
Closing down the Orange Bowl
FSU and VT in 19
Chris Long dominating Maryland
Hook and Ladder vs GT that haney brought up
Maybe Miami/FSU (forgot which one was first) in 04(?) when we were both top 5?
Maybe the last minute ND loss with the kid slumped over the bricks meme

5 Likes

That’s a good list. The Orange Bowl one was very special. Long’s entire senior season was a strange wile ride.

Man we beat ND that day. Only we didnt

1 Like

From where I was standing when the ball came off the ND qb’s hand I thought for sure I was going to catch it. Didn’t look like it had a chance to land inbounds. Damn thing sank like a sub and dropped in.

1 Like

Maryland ‘02 showed that UVa would have the talent to compete at the highest levels of the ACC for the next several years.

FSU ‘05 was a big one, then the quick drop once Hagans left and the QB situation deteriorated.

2 Likes

It’s common logic that a QB can make or break a team, but man the drop in quality after Schaub and Hagans was like falling off a cliff. Took 10-12 yrs before Bryce fell into the program’s lap.

Sewell wasn’t terrible. But definitely wasn’t great.

I grew up in the “decent season ever 4 years era” - I’ve only been a fan since 2007. Bronco was the closest I’ve seen to sustained success/mediocrity.

The Peach Bowl at the end of your first year was fun too. Petey Allen took the kickoff to the house after a late tying TD by UGA to prevent what would have been the first overtime game in college football history (the NCAA had put in overtime for the '95 bowl season before launching it during regular season play the next year). If I remember correctly, Hines Ward relieved an injured Mike Bobo at QB for the Dawgs and gave us fits.

2 Likes

That Petey Allen TD return was epic I was losing my mind in my room when it happened. I totally forgot Ward got reps at QB that game.

I’d lean more towards wasn’t great.

2 Likes

Man that was awesome. Only time I rushed the field. I think. Things are kinda hazy.

3 Likes

I was at that Peach Bowl, have a vivid memory of that KO return. Just before that, it looked like we had blown the game by fumbling (UGA scored the tying TD on the fumble play). That turnaround in emotions from the low point to the high point… had us all screaming our heads off.

3 Likes

Yep. If I remember correctly, Walt Derry fumbled after getting blown up in the flat on a tight end waggle play. Not sure if UGA scored on that play or if they got the ball inside our 10 and punched it in after a few plays. Regardless, between that play and Petey’s return, that game had some huge momemtum shifts in a just a few minutes. The Georgia Dome was rocking that night.

3 Likes

I was there for both too. Stayed in the team hotel and somehow wound up in a room with Tiki, Ronde, and Pete Allen. I was a kid, so it was super cool. Wish I remembered it a bit better at this point

5 Likes

If someone were to look at what 4 year block would’ve been the absolute greatest to be in school as a football fan, it may be our 4 years (95-98) or some block that includes 90 (maybe 88-91?).

We played Michigan, Texas, Auburn, (pre-Vick VT) out of conference. We had FSU and strong for back then UNC, GT, Maryland and Clemson in conference and we played Miami and Georgia (x2) in bowl games and we held our own. Should’ve made 4 straight bowls (still can’t figure out why we didn’t go bowling after a 7-4 season in 97). Ranked in the top 25 pretty much the entire 95, 96 and 98 seasons. Those were some good years. I wish I appreciated it a lot more when I was actually still in school and could go to games for free with no commute. Now it’s an all day event that costs a few hundred bucks at least.

6 Likes

Agree on all counts. It’s certainly the best 4 year period since we started.

1 Like

The old-timers might argue 1984-87 (two bowl wins). But 1988-91, 1995-1998, and 2002-05 would be our next closest. The latter we should have four bowl wins — game should have never gone for OT had the refs called the game on the level (particularly, the receiver being untouched out of the back of the end zone on the game-tying TD catch on fourth down on the last play of the game).

5 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. I thought that was the norm and the wheels would never fall off. Was disappointed when ghe team was ranked 23 or 7-5

3 Likes

I loved the 88-91 years. I was a lot younger then and we made the 4 hour trip often. They had some great talent in those days. I’ll never forget being there the day they went to #1 in the country. We were playing NC State and near the end we had the game won but we wanted a shutout and State had drove to inside the 10 yard line with just seconds left in the game. When the last play was fixing to happen everyone in the stadium started stomping their feet. I sware Scott stadium was literally rocking and when the pass fell incomplete all hell broke loose. We already knew the No. 1 team( can’t remember who it was) had lost and with that win Uva would go to the top spot. I get cold chills thinking about that day,lol

4 Likes

I was in school 88-92 and damn, I don’t think I could have done any better as a fan. Not just the football team (#1 in 1990!), but these were the Bryant Stith and Dawn Staley years. So much winning.

5 Likes

You were one year early yo. Shoulda done a PG year. Maaaan I am with you. Lets expand: mens and womens soccer and lacrosse as well.

2 Likes