Hoos Going Pro 2021-22 NBA Season

Yuck, I really don’t wanna have to root for the Jazz

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t follow the Hawks closely enough to have a terribly informed opinion, (but here goes anyway…) but “better Capela” seems like an answer to a question that’s not being asked.

2 Likes

It might make sense if the issue is the hawks had an all NBA power forward with no defense but instead it is their point guard (and entire shooting guard rotation) who don’t play defense. If the paint penetration stays like it is, all the rim protection in the world won’t help.

3 Likes

The Hawks are in no mans land. Dre got a possible payday approaching, but they don’t know what they have in him because he can’t shine in the offense they have and he can’t stay healthy. Trae is gonna be there. They’ve already sunk money into Collins so that athletic switching D oriented 4 is gone. Everyone else on the roster is a true role player, Heurter, Bogs etc. So the only pieces they have that are enticing to teams are a solid but slightly slower rim runner in Capella and a possible star in Dre.

9 Likes

The one thing they do have is a ton of draft capital. They just have the wrong nba all stars who want out. If it was SGA, Jaylen Brown, etc then they would be in great shape for a consolidation trade. But Donovan, Bradley Beal, Gobert, who are the realistically available players are not going to make them better. I think a Trae led team could be really good but the hawks need to solve their 2 guard or PF positions.

1 Like

And not to belabor this further, but the lessons from Atlanta and Utah should likely be not to draft defensive oriented centers with no shooting touch in the lottery anymore. It is why I think it is crazy to see Mark Williams mocked in the lottery - you would assume him playing as client Capela 2.0 would be in the upper end of his possible development outcomes.

1 Like

The market isn’t doing them any favors. However, I look at it slightly different. I think Trae is the issue. He’s a great talent, but the type of team that needs to be built around him to compliment him is difficult to build. I’m not a fan of those high usage guards, Trae feels more Harden than Curry, and those guys burn out. Curry and the Warriors may be the one example of building the team right and it took a few lucky strokes.

I do agree about not using a lottery on a more “traditional” big who is a lockdown guy. I view them like RB’s in the NFL, you can get quality in the later rounds at a cheaper tag. The Jazz are an interesting scenario I don’t think Rudy holds them back so much, yes it be great if he could shoot more but his defense is special and he’s dangerous on the run. I just think the rift with him and Mitchell is deeper than let on. They also don’t have that third option/second option from the outside who can create his own.

1 Like

Mostly agree,

I would push back that part of the reason the Jazz don’t have a 2nd, 3rd option is because of how much money Gobert makes. You can’t blame Mitchell for Rudy being one of the highest paid players in the game who has only once averaged more than 15 points in the playoffs.

1 Like

Good point. I won’t argue with you there. I remember wincing when I saw Gobert ink that deal a few summers ago and it’s coming back to bite the Jazz right now.

1 Like

Trae is simply unplayable on defense in tight games. That’s the problem. Then combine that with unathletic 2 guards in Bogs and Huerter? Can’t stop people. Trae also gets swallowed up on pick and rolls where the opponent simply doubles him … he doesn’t make good decisions.
Their best hope would be a straight up trade - Trae for Mitchell … Mitchell doesn’t play D either but at least he has the size to do it if he tried.
2nd hope would be to just draft a long athletic 2 in the draft - there will be plenty of choices including: MarJon Beauchamp, Jaden Hardy, Dyson Daniels, Blake Wesley, Ochai Agbaji, Bryce McGowens, Wendell Moore, Gabriele Procida.
They have 2 picks - so take 2 of them and get one of them ready.

1 Like

Long athletic 2? By god that’s Trevor Keels’ music

1 Like

What kills me about Trae’s defense is he doesn’t even fake being interested in playing or getting better at it. To your point at least with Mitchell he will make and effort and his size allows him to be more than a speed bump on the way the hoop. But there’s 0 chance the Hawk move on from Trae, not in the near future. They’d be more likely to draft a 2, and I still think Dre will be on the move more as a consequence of doing business.

2 Likes

Still can’t believe they thought it smart to trade Luka for Trae … just brutal.
I was hoping for 3 years the Celtics would position to get Luka … and yes - I advocated to trade Jaylen Brown on draft night to get him. Debated that with a bunch of C’s fans.

That’s one of those situations it’s tough to look back on with clarity. Yes Luka was special from the start and everyone knew there was this prodigy of sorts ready to emerge. But with the trajectory he’s on it makes the choice from that night look way worse than it felt in the moment.

1 Like

Luka had questions around his desire or some BS like that. Hawks weren’t the only team to pass on him. Other teams might’ve gotten cold feet when Phoenix passed on him even though Kokoskov was Luka’s national team coach and then Sac passed because supposedly Vlade had some inside knowledge. What did those 2 teams know that everyone else doesn’t? (Obviously nothing).

Trade ended up being Luka for Young and Reddish (now Kevin Knox and Charlotte’s non-lottery 1st rounder sometime in the next 4 years).

It didn’t look as bad until this season.

1 Like

Looked bad to me from the start … still don’t see what people see in Trae vs. Luka about playoff ability anyway…
Size matters to get quality shots in crunch time … and a 29 footer that’s rushed because it’s the only shot you can get because you’re small and unathletic won’t cut it.
Shoot - even Luka needs to cut that junk out of his game -those step back threes when he can get in the lane if he works a little harder on the possession???
Just low % basketball.

1 Like

Giannis driving to the basket…

Big Brother Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

3 Likes

Trey’s still growing…

16 Likes
11 Likes

Kyle’s so great!

7 Likes