Hoos Going Pro 2021-22 NBA Season

That video was hilarious.

2 Likes

Yes. But very, very few of those are non-lotterypicks. And I would argue that those that do become high level contributors in the 20-40 range are those that showed success in college (either multi-year experience or in their single year) or are foreign imports.

I really think that the highly-rated in high school shouldn’t mean much given comp, scouting levels and all the other stupid intangibles that get blown up.

And PBJ was historically bad in college to be drafted. And historically bad in the combine metrics. Is he playing in the scrimmages?

2 Likes

Drafting on high school pedigree is how you end up with both cam reddish and Jalen Johnson on your team

5 Likes

Id take Baldwin mid 1st and be giggly over it. Difference between him and those others is Baldwin was never expected to be a star. Just a safe NBA role player. Size shooting IQ. Was always laughable that people ranked him ahead of Banchero but he’s still a good bet to be a valuable pro. I also assume he’s not 100% because there’s no way he’s that poor athletically.

6 Likes

I just would have a tough time believing in a dude who shot <35% from the field and had both a leg and ankle injury in one season. Yes he is a big shooter which is the most valuable player in the NBA but if he couldn’t produce in an abysmal conference and already has injury concerns im not sure I would buy low. Some dudes have it in high school and then don’t have it beyond that point.

2 Likes

He isn’t a player you build around which is why going to Milwaukee over Duke was a huge mistake on his end. He would have played really well off of Banchero. But at the same time AJ Griffen is better and Mark Williams was needed in the post so it would have been interesting who started and who sat

1 Like

Will be interesting to see who he looks at if he comes back to college…

1 Like

He’s not coming back to college. Dude sat out the combine scrimmage - doesn’t want to expose himself any further or already received feedback he’s getting drafted in that top 20 area.

Or he’s still injured I guess.

4 Likes

Yeah, ultimately seemed to be a big mistake to play for Dad. The thing is, there are a lot of options between Duke and Milwaukee and he probably should’ve picked one of those. I also think he’s worth a reach starting in the high teens / low 20s.

4 Likes

Eh maybe but hard to fault a kid for trying to save his dad’s job. Might not be his responsibly but his intentions were good. If he’s good enough he’ll still make the NBA.

4 Likes

I agree. I was happy he went to Milwaukee instead of dook. If only to have some sort of schadenfreude when he spurned them. In addition helping support his family can’t really be a negative.

1 Like

I just don’t know why he went thru physical testing (which was awful), which only had downside if he’s guaranteed top 20. I think he slides if he stays in…

5 Likes

I totally agree, which is probably why Dad should’ve steered him differently (either as Dad or as potential coach).

I haven’t checked this out in a while, but don’t all but the top 5 or so do the physical testing? It keeps changing, but I thought it something like the top few guys might show up to Chicago and schedule their own interviews, the top X guys do the physical testing, and then only guys in the 40+ range or so will scrimmage. But, like I said, the frontiers keep moving…

So I think the risk is that if you don’t do it at all, then it will be assumed you are hiding a really significant issue, and will drop even more than you would if you just work out.

I was reacting to a bleacher report comment (which maybe isn’t as savvy as the scouts):

"Baldwin will presumably just measure, interview and work out in Chicago, so it will be difficult for teams to take much away from his time there. It wouldn’t even be surprising if he skips athletic testing, considering the results aren’t likely to help." (written May 16th)

3 Likes

Interesting, like I said both of the following are possible: (1) fewer kids do the testing now, (2) my memory is faulty. Maybe I was thinking that all but the top 5 do the measurements…

1 Like

If you’re looking for a former top 10 recruit who dropped out of the top 20 in the draft but who became a plus player while still on their rookie deal, you’ve got Maxey, Stewart, McDaniels, Zaire Williams, Nassir Little, Mitchell Robinson, maybe a couple more.

On the other hand there’s Brandon Boston, Skal, Rabb, Diallo, Stone, Zimmerman, Giles, Bassey and a ton more washouts.

I think it’s worth a shot to bet on upside at that point in the draft.

6 Likes

Ummm Tyrese Maxey was good in college though. He was all-SEC. So yeah, I’m justifying that.

Mitchell Robinson never played college ball. Not to mention, not even close to all-star caliber.

Zaire Williams. I guess the jury is still out after one year but nowhere near All-Star caliber.

Nasir Little. Has been very bad in the NBA. Career high in minutes this year for a team that was actively trying to lose.

1 Like

Well if i knew he couldn’t jump any higher than this 65 years old cripple i would think taking the physical testing was just stupid

4 Likes

His lane agility test was also slower than Kofi Cockburn’s… And had the 4th slowest 3/4 court sprint…

3 Likes

At this point I’m wondering if he would have beat Kody for playing time.

I know another 6’9” pure shooter that couldn’t…

1 Like