Hoos Going Pro 2022-23 NBA Season

Real question. How many times did we “go inside” that game. Huff on post ups against smaller guys or even Sam at thaf 12 foot back to the basket style play. I dont remember much beyond us being kinda running in cement after protocols and some dudd in a head band going off on us

9 Likes

I don’t know the exactly number, I’ll leave it to the stat heads on here, but I’d place the o/u on under 10% of the time did either big even show in the post more or less did they actually put the ball into the post.

1 Like

Sounds right to me. Watching with the guys on pod we all thought that might have been the move that game

1 Like

Caffaro playing 9 minutes with 0 points and 1 rebound and 1 turnover and 1 foul didn’t help either …
The triple single

I don’t generally know what I’m talking about when it comes to detailed basketball strategy, but the other adjustment I would have considered was telling Morsell and Reece to just attack their man off the dribble and go hard to the basket far more often, then have Jay follow for putbacks. Ohio didn’t have any meaningful rim protection (I feel one of the their bigs picked up a foul or two early as well) and none of them were that fast or athletic. When literally nothing else was working, would have tried that a little more. But also agree Woldo could have been an interesting wrinkle.

1 Like

Created a thread, so we can save this one for fun Wahoo pro highlights, and not bummer Ohio memories:

2 Likes

You’re really stretching some arguments to try to be right. Huff and Hauser shot well from 2? Well why not shoot more of them? They shot 60% and 69% respectively from 2 for the season, but they clearly liked the 3 ball. Same with Murphy who shot 62% from 2-pt and had athleticism to attack the basket but just rarely did. Why not play Tomas more? I don’t know, but Bennett chose to play Morsell more that day and he shot better (3/5) than Tomas (0/2). As for Reece and Kihei clogging up the offense, I’m really not sure what Bennett was supposed to do with PG’s who couldn’t shoot sharing the floor with 3 big guys who really prefer to stay on the perimeter. I too wish Tomas had played more, but I’m not going to pretend that him not playing enough was the reason that we lost. We had two NBA players on that team against a mid-major. We had a weird skill set as a team and the strength of the team - perimeter shooting by Huff, Hauser, and Murphy - collectively was not on that day and there wasn’t really anything else to go to.

4 Likes

That actually worked in the last 5 minutes … just waited too long to start doing it and Ohio kept answering on the other end during that stretch.
Ohio scored 13 points in the last 2:44 on their last 7 possessions - and didn’t miss a FT.

2 Likes

It also didn’t help that Hauser had, iirc, literally his worst game as a Hoo and Huff had one of his worst.

3 Likes

NBA +/- leaders

1. Sam Hauser: +121
  2. Nikola Jokic: +112
  3. Jayson Tatum: +100
  4. Kevin Love: +99
  5. Jrue Holiday: +96
4 Likes

Sam Hauser NBA 2022-23 MVP? Just like we all anticipated.

8 Likes
9 Likes

That was JA at the end too!

5 Likes

Some Sam Hauser appreciation in this post, even the free version

7 Likes

So what’s keeping Huff out of the league at this point? Seems like he could fill the role of rim protector/rebounder/outside shot threat that most NBA teams have one one or two of on their full-time roster. Too slow laterally? Still not strong enough?

1 Like

Probably a combo of the two

1 Like

Really just a real opportunity…
Luke Kornet is getting minutes for the best team
In the league right now… he ain’t better than Huff

4 Likes

Exactly. Cybrogs and Howtizer need to pull some strings to get Huff, another stretch 5 on their team. Especially because Robert Williams is still hurt.

3 Likes
11 Likes

For those who like entertaining announcers … this play by play guy is one of my favorites and the Bulls analyst is as well. See Hoo knows hoo it is.