Hoos Going Pro 2022-23 NBA Season

Okay

1 Like

The problem is that we had our 3 biggest guys who all wanted to shoot threes. Add Tomas and you have another guy who wanted to shoot the three. They did not have enough variety in their games to go to something else effective when the threes werenā€™t falling. If Dre Hunter wasnā€™t hitting from outside, he attacked the rim. Murphy never developed that, and Hauser wasnā€™t quick enough, nor Huff. That ā€˜20-ā€˜21 team had by far the highest percentage of 3ā€™s to 2ā€™s of any team under Bennett. Live by the 3, die by the 3; and that day we died.

7 Likes

I would be fully supportive of having a full game Ohio rewatch, where we break down the full game. It would be the least viewed thread in LRA history, but Iā€™d be all in. :joy:

I should add ā€“ Iā€™d be all in, depending on when we do it. Probably not today.

7 Likes

In for this

2 Likes

Be nice to BVP in that thread. But the PG and the lady commentator that was all over his jock are still fair game.

2 Likes

again - 2 things can be true ā€¦ Clark Sam and Jay shot terribly that day ā€¦ and yet they didnā€™t give their 2nd best shooter a chance to get shots?
Also Sam and Jay combined for 6/13 from 2 ā€¦ I suspect they get a few more opps inside the arc if only one of Reece or Clark were in there along with TW ā€¦ there would have been more space for them to go in there ā€¦ I mean why bother even trying when the guards defenders just sag and double all game ā€¦ sorry ā€¦ that game still bugs me ā€¦ and yes I know if the Covid mandate never happens they probably win ā€¦

1 Like

Real question. How many times did we ā€œgo insideā€ that game. Huff on post ups against smaller guys or even Sam at thaf 12 foot back to the basket style play. I dont remember much beyond us being kinda running in cement after protocols and some dudd in a head band going off on us

9 Likes

I donā€™t know the exactly number, Iā€™ll leave it to the stat heads on here, but Iā€™d place the o/u on under 10% of the time did either big even show in the post more or less did they actually put the ball into the post.

1 Like

Sounds right to me. Watching with the guys on pod we all thought that might have been the move that game

1 Like

Caffaro playing 9 minutes with 0 points and 1 rebound and 1 turnover and 1 foul didnā€™t help either ā€¦
The triple single

I donā€™t generally know what Iā€™m talking about when it comes to detailed basketball strategy, but the other adjustment I would have considered was telling Morsell and Reece to just attack their man off the dribble and go hard to the basket far more often, then have Jay follow for putbacks. Ohio didnā€™t have any meaningful rim protection (I feel one of the their bigs picked up a foul or two early as well) and none of them were that fast or athletic. When literally nothing else was working, would have tried that a little more. But also agree Woldo could have been an interesting wrinkle.

1 Like

Created a thread, so we can save this one for fun Wahoo pro highlights, and not bummer Ohio memories:

2 Likes

Youā€™re really stretching some arguments to try to be right. Huff and Hauser shot well from 2? Well why not shoot more of them? They shot 60% and 69% respectively from 2 for the season, but they clearly liked the 3 ball. Same with Murphy who shot 62% from 2-pt and had athleticism to attack the basket but just rarely did. Why not play Tomas more? I donā€™t know, but Bennett chose to play Morsell more that day and he shot better (3/5) than Tomas (0/2). As for Reece and Kihei clogging up the offense, Iā€™m really not sure what Bennett was supposed to do with PGā€™s who couldnā€™t shoot sharing the floor with 3 big guys who really prefer to stay on the perimeter. I too wish Tomas had played more, but Iā€™m not going to pretend that him not playing enough was the reason that we lost. We had two NBA players on that team against a mid-major. We had a weird skill set as a team and the strength of the team - perimeter shooting by Huff, Hauser, and Murphy - collectively was not on that day and there wasnā€™t really anything else to go to.

4 Likes

That actually worked in the last 5 minutes ā€¦ just waited too long to start doing it and Ohio kept answering on the other end during that stretch.
Ohio scored 13 points in the last 2:44 on their last 7 possessions - and didnā€™t miss a FT.

2 Likes

It also didnā€™t help that Hauser had, iirc, literally his worst game as a Hoo and Huff had one of his worst.

3 Likes

NBA +/- leaders

1. Sam Hauser: +121
  2. Nikola Jokic: +112
  3. Jayson Tatum: +100
  4. Kevin Love: +99
  5. Jrue Holiday: +96
4 Likes

Sam Hauser NBA 2022-23 MVP? Just like we all anticipated.

8 Likes
9 Likes

That was JA at the end too!

5 Likes

Some Sam Hauser appreciation in this post, even the free version

7 Likes