šŸ› Introduction for new member (Hav's Playground)

The usual poor mans tuna, 5oz tuna, 1cup rice, half avocado. Itā€™s cut season, cant wait to get back to eating steak 3 times a day.

2 Likes

Fact once you cross the line out of Albemarle into Nelson itā€™s a different world, same once you cross Afton Mt. into Waynesboro.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Thereā€™s some solid food in Maryland if that counts.

I will defend our honor! Like the whole Northeast corridor has great food! NYC speaks for itself. Philly is a great food city with all the Italian, Irish, and other influences. Rhode Island has probably some of the best Italian and Portuguese food around. Not to mention all of our seafood. I mean, Maine lobsters? Blueberry pie? Thatā€™s just off the very top of my head!.. Oh, and pizza?!?

Look, Iā€™m not gonna defend those pieces of Connecticut that steam their hamburgers (yes I have tried them - twice), but we have great food!

3 Likes

angry season 7 GIF
Nothing beats a steamed ham

1 Like

This is my analysis but I think pretty logical as wellā€¦ the further away from the equator you get, the more hearty and less flavor the food gets as the people in those areas were making food to survive and not for flavor. When you get closer to the equator, you are less worried about dying and there are all these tropical plants and spices growing around youā€¦ which allows you to create more flavorful food.

Who has heard of amazing native food in Iceland, Scandanavia, Canada? Very north of the equator

Who has the most flavorful food in the US? The Southern states.

In Europe? The southern countries and the northern African ones.

4 Likes

I think youā€™re on to something there. Toss in you canā€™t grow/raise anything that has decent taste when you start moving that far north. Growing seasons are so short

1 Like

Thatā€™s what they made hot sauce for

3 Likes

Herndon is real homey!

1 Like

Brasilians come here and always say ā€œthe food had no tasteā€

2 Likes

Iā€™d be more willing to buy this theory until the advent of (more) global trade in 1492 or so. Thereā€™s a random theory that the Brits got more productive after the sugar trade bc they drank more caffeinated beverages and less beer. (As just one example of trade changing diets)

I think you are making a different point. GDP globally is always far away from the equator. Peoples near the equator spend less time working and producing because(my opinion) not desirable to be indoors. I lived on the 14th paralel in Salvador, Bahia Brasil. They have like a 10,000 fruits and you can self sustain via the sea etc. Just a different way of Life

Right, but I live nowhere near Brazil or the equator but I can get several types of Brazilian food a few miles away. (More if I lived over your way)

Plus I bet if you look at pre Colombian Brazilian food vs post Colombian itā€™s a lot different, too (Which I guess was more my point, to the extent I had one)

Yes but you import it in a way. And its not even close to being if you were local in Brasil. Like not remotely close.

Sao Paulo is famous at the high end for having the best Japanese and Italian restaurants in the world. Its all about ingrediants end of the day (I think)

Side note: I love Ragu pasta sauce soā€¦

For me very cool discussion.

2 Likes

History of food sounds like a fun college course. This stuff is wasted on the young

1 Like

Yes cause we dont give a shit about food til we aint young no more.

Great idea there. Amazes me how much knowledge comes from this place at @Merch started. But also doesnt surprise me

3 Likes

Anybody who lumps in Virginia with northern states has simply never been to Danville.

1 Like

Man when I signed to go to UVa an old timer at my church said ā€œBoy. Dont be goin up there and learnin them accentsā€.

Virginia country shit is much different than Tennessee country. But the athletes are very much the same

3 Likes

What Iā€™ve heard is spice was used as a food preservative before refrigeration. Itā€™s one reason that you see spicier food in warmer climates. The southern part of many countries tends to have much spicier food.

6 Likes