Looking at the 2021 Recruiting Horizon

Let the recruits make their decisions. If they want to come here we will welcome them with open arms and if they don’t it wasn’t meant to be. We were disappointed when Juzang went to KY but by making that choice it meant he wasn’t a UVA guy. I am sure he is probably a nice kid but he is where he is now and we ended up with Jabri. SKJ decommited and the last scholarship went to Hunter. Quinery didn’t work out and Clark ended up helping win a Championship. If we get you know who he will probably end up being a fine player for us if not somebody else will. I keep saying we still have 10 good guys scheduled to be on the team in 21.

10 Likes

It’s not the delay, it’s playing the fans and an obvious lack of humility. A lack of integrity by being misleading and trolling, rather than just withholding info.

This reminds me of Austin Nichols, somewhat.

1 Like

Absolutely! This is the self-filtering that has been spoken of.

I mean no one is making you look at those things though. Why should a 17 year old care what adults think about their social media posts?

1 Like

Humility in my opinion. As someone trying to cover recruiting, it’s gotten somewhat boring in recent years. In part, because these kids now practically craft a fake public image through social media. . They take themselves way too seriously to be teenagers. It’s refreshing to see one who doesn’t. But I totally get your point of view.

9 Likes

That’s not it. However, it’s indicative of who Keels may be and his advisors. This is not who we are and not the kind of players we have. Not even those, who’ve made it to the NBA.

That’s one!

If you were Keels and your only goal is to be drafted after playing one year, would you honestly go to UVA? I wouldn’t. Again, my only goal is to go pro ASAP. I would go to UVA if I honestly thought it would take me three years to be drafted, but I don’t think that is what he thinks now (as opposed to a year ago).

3 Likes

It is interesting about how closely Williford’s comments may be followed. He is not TB. TB is certainly more guarded and aware of the reach of his comments. Tu is stating that Williford’s comments are being interpreted (maybe wrongly) used against us in recruiting. I love Willy’s podcasts and many public statements. Seem to be getting him experience to be a head coach elsewhere. Kudos for for the program . I wonder how many other assistants get so much public visibility.

2 Likes

You are so correct and how would he handle going through a year like Morsell or McCoy? From all indications, not limited to social media, would he handle as maturely as these two or would he be a disruptive to the team chemistry. I would rather have taken my chances with someone like Jabril, Kaufman, or even Christie if he wasn’t committed elsewhere.

This I agree with. One of the more unique things about the way TB recruits. It really is more like a filtering process. I don’t think he ever really sees it as missing out on anyone, just that it didn’t work out. Keon Johnson last year, who Bennett actually recruited harder than anyone, said in his conversations it’s not really like Tony is trying to recruit you. Others have said similar things. He lets his personal attention speak for itself, lays out what UVA is about, how they’ll be used. Rest is up to them.

9 Likes

This is the key I think. Doesn’t seem like that approach will ever work with kids who see themselves as one and dones.

2 Likes

He’s motivating Jabril. Some propects take it and grow but some take it and follow an easier road. That’s just today’s coddled society of top prospects. We are challenged to find those that will fight and grow through the first adversity in sports they have faced. Those that persevere will grow from the experience.

1 Like

He’s also used the dating analogy. You would hope the other individual involved would see you as unique and separate from others. You want them to choose UVA freely, not trapping them, or trying to oversell them. Honesty is rare in recruiting and can be misconstrued this way and / or not recognized by the recruit.

1 Like

How can anyone still believe this after the minutes Casey Morsell got last year. SMH.

4 Likes

If a player is good enough and knows that he will be a one and done. If he is a good player but still needs developing to improve his NBA game then I would definitely consider UVA. But the first consideration is that a player and UVA are a good fit. Some players just wont fit the culture at UVA and that is fine. If I want development then UVA should be at the top of my list if we fit

1 Like

As a huge fan of TB and our Hoos, I don’t understand why any top 25 recruit would choose UVA over Duke.

If you come in as a hyped recruit to Duke, you will be drafted. First round money is life changing and you’d be stupid to risk it if you felt good about your abilities.

The only way we land Keels is if he or his people don’t think he would be an NBA pick after year 1 or even year 2. Tony might give you development but Duke gives you exposure, freedom of offense and in Keels case, playing time.

We look at Dre as a success story, I wonder if some see it as a kid that could have been paid a year earlier.

4 Likes

UVA shouldn’t be considered by many who basically know they are a one and done. They aren’t many of them

Could’ve been paid a year earlier if not for that wrist. He still had a decision to make after 2018.

2 Likes

I’ve seen you mention Max Christie and frequently. Just reading the pulse and hearing a little, UVa never had a snowball’s chance in hell with the kid. Had they gotten indications of reciprocated interest, they probably pursue with more intensity.

But speaking of Christie, in the end, he may be the one that costs UVa Keels. If Christie goes to Duke, they never pick up their interest in Keels. And with Keels, if there was a character issue that seems to be insinuated, UVa probably cuts bait long ago.

3 Likes