March 2023 - UVA Hoops

I too want to dominate, but in a way that is vaguely horrifying for neutrals to watch. I’m thinking a game like the 2014-15 team beating Rutgers 45-26 in that NYC tournament or the 2019-20 team winning the opening day rock fight against Syracuse. I want to see some narrative confusion.

7 Likes

I’d prefer a game like the 76-27 win over Harvard in December 2014 where they scored 1 basket in the first half. 39-8 halftime score.

This was a 22-8 Ivy League champion and NCAA 13 seed Harvard team that season.

12 Likes

Just skimmed thid thread. What are you guys talking about Traudt redshirting and where did this come from? I can tell you guys these same stuff came up last year about his girlfriend before he committed to UVA. Speculation he would commit to Creighton then. Anyway it’s late and im not going to spend all night going through these threads

The transfer fretting has to be for another day. We are in tournament season! And could make a run to the second weekend!

Our net transfer history has been unbelievably positive- so I have extreme faith Tony will do well no matter how the cards fall. All of the young guys have very high potential so would hate to see anyone go, but a lot of factors go into a decision like that. Trust that inside the program Tony has continually kept guys engaged appropriately, particularly redshirts.

Ultimately this is the new reality- and the good news is we have a very good pitch to offer in terms of path to serious player development, winning and getting to the next level.

But until then- let’s cheer the Hoos on to hopefully making a serious run at Houston.

6 Likes
1 Like

You didn’t ask, but you shall receive anyway. (Phone’s camera roll says Dec. 21, 2014, at 1:09 pm.)

15 Likes

I HIGHLY doubt that Tony had no plans of redshirting him. I’m sure it was mentioned or atleast implied that he wouldn’t get playing time during the season- I mean what kind of basketball player who wants to play at a D-1 school along with their buddies would “choose” to redshirt if they’re not injured?

The other thread is turning into a stampede, so I’ll put this here.

Topic = UVa perception in national hoops media (i.e., non-ACC)

Dauster’s take here is pretty par for the course: This isn’t UVa with the studs you remember. The only good player is Reece.
https://twitter.com/SiriusXMFantasy/status/1635679683047047169?s=20

Now my quibbles:

1. Even if I agree with the analysis, why does this mean Furman will beat us? The line is pretty much the KenPom line, where we are not highly rated. And where Furman is ranked much lower. What about the KenPom rating of Furman is not fully capturing their upset potential?
  2. I wish this treatment of UVa personnel in the 14-18 era (anything pre-natty year) had been present at the time! When we had awesome talent, it was not recognized at that time. We were just Tony and a good defensive gimmick. This is all ret-conned…

(And I like Dauster!)

13 Likes

Ooooh, it’s so quiet and peaceful over here in this thread…

girl sigh GIF

10 Likes

Nobody wants to hear an analyst talk about a chalky bracket. They wanna know what upsets to put in their $5 entry fee office pool bracket so they can win the prize money and impress Janet. Gotta appeal to your audience.

7 Likes

I wanted to disagree with his summary of this team and program, but honestly, he’s exactly right. Hard pill to swallow. I do think we will win of course.

I react similarly to pundit predictions for sports in general. The pundit will point out observations about one team or the other or both or etc., but it’s extremely rare for them to explain why the viewer should believe those observations aren’t already captured in the Vegas line. Which is the key thing.

6 Likes

He’s not really bringing anything to the table here is he? We’ve all heard this before, swap out the names or whatever. Is it true? Sure the way to beat the Hoos is to shoot and score… It’s also the way to beat any team in basketball.

I’m getting to that point of the Tournament when I’m already sick of hearing all the analysis that brings nothing new to the table and just plays the hits. Let’s get this show on the road already.

13 Likes

Exactly it’s the same lazy take that 90% of radio host are trotting out this week. They looked at the lines looked at the names pulled generic staple take No. 1 out the bag and went with it. It’s not analysis it’s just filling time because that’s what you do this time of year.

Edit: This is not limited to UVa. Apply the above to every team.

6 Likes

There are just too many games in round 1 to get much useful info from the guys picking every game. I’d really like to read/hear someone with an informed take on both teams, but I guess I’m just gonna have to slog through a bunch of Furman video… “UVa really struggled to score against a team with a 7-footers at the 4 and a lottery type guy at the 3 and a prototypical shot blocker at the 5, so watch out for the upset against a team with [literally the opposite of that].” Sure thing, folks.

Speaking of, if I hadn’t gotten sucked down the Fish rabbit hole today, I was planning to pluck out the good Furman videos… Maybe I will do that later or tomorrow.

7 Likes

I do agree that it’s lazy analysis. I always joke about how UVA could not win because they had no NBA players even though we had at least 2 on almost every team for the past 10 years.

1 Like

Pace of play, and regular scoring droughts will be an equation for upset predictions. We are low hanging fruit for pundits.

I like this team and the way it’s playing the last two weeks. Beat Furman!

4 Likes

If you just want to outsmart KenPom, a pundit should limit his analysis to the things KenPom doesn’t consider: injuries, time trends, and matchup issues. And pundits do get into that stuff of course, but really they should carve that out as being their explicit value-add and not mix that analysis in with all the baked-in “baseline assessment” that models already do well. (“Guys, Furman is a really good team! They score a lot of points!” Okay thanks for that.)

6 Likes

Can we fire KenPon for post season?

3 Likes

We need a coaching carousel for modelers

Oh, and for Lunardi. “ESPN is parting ways with Lunardi… rumored candidates to take over the position include Raleigh Hoo and literally anybody other than Lunardi…”

13 Likes