NBA Offseason 2020

Kyle’s improved off the dribble a ton since he left UVa. I noticed it in the few games I saw him play in the G-League much more comfortable putting the ball on the floor and creating space. Agree with Fresh not a true PG, but more than a spot up shooter.

2 Likes

I watched a lot of the games our guys played in last year, including G League. Kyle had a lot of trouble finishing at the rim through contact. Did not get many calls. I think the idea of added strength and weight would benefit KG tremendously. There aren’t a lot of AI’s out there who can thrive at 165lbs.

2 Likes

Great point. Kyle definitely needs more upper body strength and that will increase with time. It’s also a skill set he did not work on a lot at UVA, The way players are run off the line and funneled to true shotblockers in the NBA and G-League is very different than what you see in college. AI was a freak of nature and was far more gifted than basically anyone playing basketball so no one can match up to that.

2 Likes

One thing that always impressed me about AI was how he somehow managed to avoid injury for the most part. He threw himself around with reckless abandon and was never afraid to go down among the trees to get to the hoop. Was really fun to watch in his prime, although those 76ers teams never really put the guys around him they would have needed to win a title.

5 Likes

I don’t know if Kyle achieved significant strength or muscle-mass gains this offseason. But if his Instagram stories are any indication, if he didn’t, it wasn’t for lack of effort. That kid worked his ass off. I enjoyed watching the videos he posted of his strength, balance, and skill training (while sitting on my ass, of course). Hopefully, all that work pays off for him.

6 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. I have no idea how he avoided major injuries. I’m not sure anyone threw themselves more than he did.

2 Likes

Agree. He has put in a ton of work this offseason and from some of the pics he looks a little broader across the shoulders. So that’s a start for sure. I honestly believe he can carry about 15 maybe 20 lbs without sacrificing speed.

2 Likes

Seth Curry is a good comp although he didn’t seem that good in the playoffs :grin: But also does Curry run around screens like Kyle and Joe Harris do?

Other players of Kyle’s size are Fred VanFleet but Kyle’s not as strong yet. Who else are we missing?

Seth Curry is the comp, and he is listed as 6’2" and 185 lbs. I would throw out JJ from a skill set. JJ is 6’3" but listed at 200 lbs.

1 Like

Seth is a good comparison and it took him a few years to stick. He bounced around as he got into NBA shape.

JJ was similar coming in but Id say he was physically bigger than Kyle when he got to the league. He was kyles size in hia qst and 2nd year at Duke

2 Likes

Kyle is not a true PG but his games I watched last year he played a lot at the point and played well. He can also make that occasional thread the needle great pass too

2 Likes

Kings are on TNT. Kyle is getting a good run with some of the big dogs. Played with Heild for about 5 minutes and now paired with Fox. He’s 3-5 from 3.

4 Likes

he cooking. That transition 3 was money. Wish we did that more here.

1 Like

Edit: LOL I went to look up highlights cause Guy was trending on twitter. Once I shared it here I didnt even realize it was our own @brogdonfanpage posting it.

10 Likes

So this just happened:

Finished with 20

17 Likes

@brogdonfanpage I default to your expertise, but didn’t it seem like he was the best player on the court for the Kings? I mean he was the only one who could get a decent shot off! Gotta think that if they’re gonna give playing time to any of those dudes it would be him.

3 Likes

Hell yea. They played him minutes with the rotational guys in the first half too. I’m expecting him to get real minutes this yr. Walton has said he loves him and with the 2-way rules how they are he’s set up to spend a lot of time playing for the kings this year. Who knows might even be signed to a roster spot if he can prove himself to be a rotational guy

7 Likes

50 games this year for guy instead of only 45 days of practice last year with the new 2 way contract set up.

Guy is in that awkward spot where he is too good for the G League but is just missing that something for the league. However I personally think he does what he does best good enough to get into the rotation.

He definitely should get all of Corey Joseph’s minutes and neither James nor Ramsey are real threats for minutes. Their roster is guard lacking: lots of 3-5s. Buddy Hield and Fox will get heavy minutes at the one andtwo, and they figure to rotate Haliburton into that mix as well. But Guy could play his way into that 4th guard role (he probably hasn’t jumped Corey Joseph yet but I think he’s better and kings fans on reddit also want that jump to happen).

9 Likes

At the 1:15 mark, Luke Walton talks about Kyle.

Paraphrasing: it will be tough for him to get regular minutes if they’re healthy. Could see him getting minutes if guys are out or struggling.

4 Likes

Think walton is being a bit weird about this. Cory Joseph is fine but he’s not getting any better or any younger and if Kyle keeps hitting threes, which we know he will, and continues to improve as a playmaker he adds more value to their roster especially with the long term potential.

6 Likes