NBA Season '20-'21

Saw some very weird takes about that proposed trade. Sure Malcolm’s long term value/potential is certainly lower than Simmons but would anyone deny that they would have beaten the Hawks (and possibly the Bucks) if they had Malc instead of Simmons?

To me, the Sixers need to be in win now mode, and they can’t wait around for 3 years for Simmons to learn how to shoot. Malcolm is a very good player who can defend, distribute, and score efficiently, which is exactly who the Sixers need next to Embiid. If I was the Sixers GM I would’ve done that trade.

4 Likes

I loved that move for Malcolm and the 76ers. Lower ceiling than Simmons? Sure but he fills the void they have at the point. And Brogs can work with any big in the pick n roll.

While I think Indy will be better with RC as the coach I don’t see them having the right pieces to make a run in the East. Not sure Simmons gets them over the hump but they need to do something to shake it up.

5 Likes

At this point, are we even sure that Simmons has a higher ceiling? Based on what? He hasn’t shown anything yet to indicate that he can be even an average NBA shooter. That’s a pretty glaring weakness for a point guard.

7 Likes

I’m wayyyy in the minority, but I wouldn’t trade Brogs for Simmons straight up: SIMMONS CANT SHOOT! Therefore, he cannot possibly help you win big games. Dude can’t even stay on the floor late because he’s so dreadful from the line.

3 Likes

You may be in the minority, and I may be biased, but I’m right there with you. It’s the NBA. How in the world can you have a guy starting for you who CAN’T SHOOT?

4 Likes

I wouldn’t consider Simmons a higher ceiling but that’s still the line on him under the assumption he can learn to shoot. I was championing for Philly to trade him before this season because he still had high value. I don’t understand why they stuck by him now.

1 Like

I think that’s exactly the trade the Sixers are willing to make for Dame for exactly the reason you cite.

Look at the PG trade. 5 1sts, 2 swaps and SGA. I think the Sixers would trade Simmons plus some equivalent combo of picks and young players for Dame or a similar level player.

By the time Morey and Doc were hired, who else was on the market? Besides Harden, who could you trade Simmons for who could help you win?

I don’t think the Sixers should be trying to dump Simmons for just any breathing player right now. With him they still had the best record in the East. He’s a career 60% FT shooter not 30%. He’s maybe the 2nd best defender in the NBA and can actually defend 1-4.

I don’t know who the target should be (Beale and LaVine are the names I hear most after Dame), but that’s why they hired Morey.

All very valid points. I’ve besn on the ship out Simmons long before Doc and Morrey arrived on the scene and hia shooting went in the toliet. The pairing with Embid always felt off their games didn’t compliment each other enough for my liking and if I had to pick Simmons had to go.

The market is slim to move a player ofnhis caliber esp given the performance he’s coming off of. I think a mix of players and pick makes more sense than straight up star swap.

@Jerome tell your son happy birthday from those of us in Locker Room Access :+1:t5::+1:t5::+1:t5:

6 Likes

Malcolm is in Kenya opening more wells. Awesome use of offseason:

11 Likes

Mamadi is one win away from a championship ring!

11 Likes

He got a lot of camera time celebrating big plays on the baseline

3 Likes

Trey is coming in at #14 on KOC’s Big Board. That’s not draft position (they had him at #27 in the Mock Draft video they did) but still pretty crazy.

No surprise but Sam and Jay not in the Top 50.

9 Likes

A year ago at this time he wasn’t even going to play college ball. By draft time he will be a lottery pick

3 Likes

Mamadi Mamado is an NBA champ too.

12 Likes

So since Mamadi went blonde the first time, I think every team he’s played for that has been allowed into the post season has won a championship. UVA in the NCAA, Lakeland Magic in the G league, and now the Bucks. Realize he hasn’t had the hair blonde the whole time and didn’t play for the pro squads in the playoffs, but just saying. All he does is win.

Makes it even more tragic the 2020 NCAA tournament was canceled. We were obviously going to win.

7 Likes

13 Likes

Dumb question but I can’t find the answer to it anywhere:

What other UVA basketball players have won NBA championships?

1 Like

Rick Carlisle

7 Likes