NCAAT First Round - Furman vs Virginia (12:30 PM, TruTV, Thursday, 16 Mar 2023)

I think I’d start Shed-Gardner, because I want to test Furman’s interior defense. We are the better team, let’s throw the first punch.

5 Likes

So you are saying he wouldn’t be a big loss because he’d be easily replaceable then?

I get it but I love Kadin off the bench. Feel like he comes in calmer and more settled that way

9 Likes

Only issue I have with testing their interior defense with Sheds/Papi is that neither are go to scorers and neither really have any back to the basket post game, which is what I think would really work well against Furman. Hoping we don’t try to force a square peg in a round hole and struggle early because of it

2 Likes

I have already said it would be a big loss. In the NIL era we are likely to take big losses sometimes. But yes, I think you mitigate that loss in the portal.

Then it was a very poor decision for the coaching staff to let him RS.

2 Likes

Don’t we have two other threads going about Traudt? This thread can only be used for doom and gloom about our potential first round exit, not players leaving

13 Likes

Yeah can we move the traudt chat to the Kadin thread and make that a transfer out speculation thread?

6 Likes

@jazznutUVA work your magic for the contancurous crew here.

Seems we are losing 2 big men to transfers after we go to the Final Four this year and the rest of the team goes pro

5 Likes

@AnonymooseHoo portmanteau THIS. I dare you.

3 Likes

I even corrected the second C from an K ZH doubles

2 Likes

cantransferout

3 Likes

goddammit you’re good

3 Likes

I think that’s a very important point to remember. Virginia’s offense is not centered around interior play from the bigs. Even if Papi/Kadin could/should have an advantage on the interior, I don’t want to see the entire offense shifted to become something it’s not. Kadin is a rim runner at best, not a traditional back to the basket big, same with Papi. My fear is if you start Kadin and feed him in the post his head will explode and he’ll pick up some silly foul trying to do much, or force the issue and miss some bunnies and knock his confidence.

I’d much rather see the normal rotation start Papi let him bang around and intimidate. Run Blocker Mover and see if you can get Jayden free on some pocket passes midway in the lane and let him work. Then sprinkle in Kihei Reece and Armaan attacking and finding the bigs over the the top.

Big games like this, it’s best not to overcomplicate with a bunch of new wrinkles. Go with who you are and what you know and execute, they won’t be able to stop it.

18 Likes

100 percent this. Go with what you know. If you adjust offense for an Paladin you already lost

9 Likes

Okay: Furman sucks and losing to them would be embarrassing. Is that back on topic enough?

4 Likes

Apparently he might be a none and done

6 Likes

Exactly. The best offense the Hoos ran all season was against Clemson and UNC when they ran blocker mover. Guys were flying around the court off ball making hard cuts and screens. They were comfortable and knew where to go, to get what they wanted. That built their confidence and took away the thinking and let them just play. Why would you want to disrupt that now?

8 Likes

Because it is against Furman of course! Hahaha.

Kidding

2 Likes

Also waiting 5 days between games makes me realize how grateful I am that the Hoos play multiple games a week. Not sure I could put up with all the rumors and inuendo of a 5+ day build up every week.

This place may fall apart before Thurs.

13 Likes