NCAAT First Round - Furman vs Virginia (12:30 PM, TruTV, Thursday, 16 Mar 2023)

This discussion reminds me (a Cville local) of what we used to call PVCC back in the day:

UCLA (University of Charlottesville Located in Albemarle)

Or just Harvard on the Hill

:slight_smile:

9 Likes

My confidence in Thursday’s outcome is shaken. Are we this unprepared?

6 Likes

Damn Tony looks like he’s been reading LRA all week

26 Likes

Tony paid for in flight wifi to read the transfer thread

8 Likes

Photographer: welcome to Orlando
CTB:

3 Likes

Tony: “He’s WHAT??”

5 Likes

He’s clearly stressed because the entire team is transferring, and will have to offer schollys to five guys off the street next year.

6 Likes

One thread already was spiked because of this. Can we avoid that shit on this one? Please?

5 Likes

Haha I was 100% joking please don’t take that seriously. Really not trying to spark anything!!

2 Likes

1000% agree. Think everyone is absolutely kidding.

2 Likes

Dammit, I just realized I have in person in office meetings on Thursday. How the hell am I gonna sneak away to watch the game now? Damn, I was planning on just being away from my computer for a long lunch if I was working at home.

2 Likes

I feel you @4547Lambeth. I was planning on just closing my door for two hours, then realized I have two mandatory Zoom calls on which I will need to speak and a truck full of durable medical equipment arriving, all occuring between 1 and 3. This effort, combined with taking Friday for St. Pats (I’m in Savannah), is going to temporarily tank my credibility at work.

7 Likes

Have fun in Savannah on St. Patty’s! I used to head over there from Hilton Head back in the day. Do they still dye the Savannah River and the beer? Funny story from the 80s … several of my teenage friends who went and then attended church the next day (when it landed on Saturday) had to explain the green dye all over their hands and mouths. One was the preacher’s son. Hilarious and totally not credible.

5 Likes

St Party’s day in Savannah is nuts; therefore, Taine will need to hit 3 of 3 from 3 for us to to beat Furman. See, it all relates.

4 Likes

Savannah on St. Paddy’s is great. Used to play in a huge rugby tournament down there was epic and I remember the green river

2 Likes

Let it happen.

If He Dies Ivan Drago GIF

7 Likes

If anyone is looking for yet another podcast bracket breakdown, from a guy (Seth Greenberg) who knows us a bit / has watched us a bit:
https://twitter.com/TheAndyKatz/status/1636014459134046208?s=20

1 Like

Great breakdown (now that I’ve watched some Furman stuff). Here’s my list of Haney approved reasons to worry about this game, but also why I still feel good about the matchup we got:

Good reasons to worry:

1. UVa has done relatively poorly in first rounds. There are a few exceptions and there are always reasons we played poorly (injuries, covid pauses, bad matchups, forgot to scout DJ Laster), but in general, we have not done well in the first round.
  2. We are still re-adjusting to life without BVP, and this seems like a game where he would do well, and wouldn’t be a defensive liability.
  3. And even before BVP injury, we are subject to offensive swoons, and in general the offense has been struggling for a few weeks.
  4. Furman won their conference outright and is a solid, well coached team, with lots of upperclassmen.
  5. Like anyone else, Furman could get hot from 3, and we could start to play tight, and playing from a deep deficit has never been our comfort zone.

Why I feel good:

1. Slawson is a beast against SoCon competition, but has not played well against high majors. He has shot poorly from 3 and doesn’t seem to get to the line as much. We have good rim protection and have the personnel to throw a lot of different looks at mobile bigs.
  2. In general, they’ve feasted on smaller, not awesome defenses. I don’t think our defense is elite, but I think our defense is playing really well right now, and our current post defense is better than it was previously. I can’t see many instances of them playing teams with good rim protection. Even the high majors.
  3. We’ve struggled against teams with multiple good, especially big guards. Pegues is solid, but seems like a fine matchup for Kihei at worst, and at best the type of guy that Kihei could turn over and really get under his skin. I think Reece will do fine on Bothwell.
19 Likes

https://twitter.com/PrestonWillett/status/1636049457899880450?t=N9_kP4ty4qd_XjSX9OkfJA&s=19

4 Likes

I feel reasonably confident about this game, but you never know which Virginia team you’re going to get. Most of this time this year, it’s been a good team. We stumbled a bit at the start of conference play, and then a bit toward the end, but our performance in the ACC Tournament (even against me Duke) has me optimistic that we’ve righted that ship.

That being said, I’d love for us to come out hot and sink some quick baskets. I’d rather not have us playing uphill the whole game.

10 Likes