New summer recruiting thread

Dont think so.

1 Like

Agree in large measure that D has a high correlation with effort especially in man to man, but the pack line puts a lot pressure on the big to hedge, recover, and drop to cover passing lanes. That’s really what takes time and why it is so hard for a 4/5 to come in as either a 1st year or to transfer in. You could see last year when Taine played the 4 (which he shouldn’t this year) how lost he got. I think that’s what frustrated Atkins in finding playing time, but for Akil he mastered it pretty quickly. I expect Traudt’s development on the defensive end to take a while, but he may be so valuable on the offensive end, he may be given a bit more leeway than some.

3 Likes
1 Like

Agree 100%. I think Isaac T. has the athleticism to be able to perform the requirements of the 4 position in the defense, but it will take time as you say.

A guy who is a lot smarter than I am says it takes about 500 minutes of game play for a big to get a fair handle on the pack-line and 1000 minutes to master it. Seems about right to me.

If that’s the case, and it may very well be, then we are essentially recruiting bigs as 2 and dones. And that’s only if they stay all 4 years. If they leave a year early, we recruited a 1 and done. 1000 minutes at 20 minutes a game is essentially 2 full seasons. So, best case scenario, a big isn’t a complete player until year three. If he has the offense to make it in the NBA he may very well not stay for year four.

I’m all for elite defense but if it takes a big almost the entirety of a 4 year college career to master it, something’s wrong with that picture.

2 Likes

Kadin played 728 minutes last year. Should be near 1,000 by the start of ACC play his second season on the court.

6 Likes

Not really. To get that 500 and 1000 minute level, they have to play and they’re contributing to varying degrees. Think about our bigs over the years, Mamadi, Jack, Jay, Kadin, all took some time before they were really comfortable in the pack line, but they still played, still had their moments, still contributed. Akil was something of an exception but he was a smaller guy converted to a 4/5 by Tony who took advantage of his long arms and athleticism.

Even most of our perimeter players too some serious minutes to really “get it.” Malcolm starting coming into his own the end of his first season, prior to his foot giving out. Kyle took a season but he was a key contributor anyway for other reasons.

And outside of the very top recruits, most first years in every program across the nation takes a season or so before they’re truly effective. I think people try to compare our first years to Duke’s who are NBA 1st round picks out of HS and think we’re somehow failing when our guys take a season or two to become significant contributors. Not the case at all. We recruit a different mix and it takes longer.

2 Likes

huh, I’d have guessed less.

He played some the prior year as well, not a lot because of illness, but he did play. And he made a lot of progress this season IMO.

1 Like

Any time table as to when we might hear about this news?

1 Like

From our side it is all about getting his official visit in. We have ramped up zooms and such with TB and they are going really really well. He said he plans to announce in September my hope is he gets tired of hearing from random spots like Oklahoma etc and pulls the trigger on his visit end of this month

I have had great conversations with his dad who is a really good dude and very appreciative of everything.

My fear is he goes off in front of Coach Cal or Nova gets real involved

8 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes

Elmarko JacksGONE

9 Likes

I’ve decided to pull for a Gertrude/Silas backcourt recruiting grand slam for ‘23.

7 Likes

All I see is a horribly done three point line. Sincerely hope that’s tape.

7 Likes

Cannot un-see that now. Geez.

4 Likes

July the 4th fellas…still no recruits…#neverforget?

1 Like

Might wanna check your calendar.

1 Like

Close enough man…give it a day to age…

2 Likes