šŸ™„ No Holds Barred Thread - A Haney/DavetheWave Production

Yup why we need a developed bench and bigger rotation. Tighten it to 7-8 guys during acc play, not from day 1.

3 Likes

Kyle Guy shot 26% on 3 Pt FGā€™s in the 2019 NCAA Tournament.
He averaged 40.2 minutes per game in that 6 game stretch.
The 2 are likely related.

1 Like

This doesnā€™t really hold up under scrutiny though. He shot 40% in the last three games of the tournament. If he was super tired then in theory those should have been his worst games. When he was freshest in the first weekend, he went 1-15.

9 Likes

Freshest though? From 1/29 that season he basically only came out of games during garbage time in 2 games. Played 36 min or more in 16 of his last 19 games.

Yes. We lost early in the ACC tournament so he had a full week and a half off beforehand

3 Likes

FSU Game was 3/15 and Gardner Webb was 3/22 plus travel to ACC tourney and back home - plus travel to NCAAā€™s and back home 3 times.
Playing 40 min a game is not just about the physical energy it takes - although I believe under Tony it takes way more energy because of Pack line responsibilities - playing a ton of 25 second defensive possessions - and then having to fly off screen after screen on the offensive endā€¦
But the mental energy and exhaustion of not being able to get to the bench and take a break from thinking and concentrating is large.

That seven days off was the longest rest the team had since early february. And in the last two weekends he played his best games on two days rest

I donā€™t think I disagree with the overall point. I just think using Guy as an example is a bad one

3 Likes

This coming from someone who played every minute in high school except blowouts - itā€™s tiring ā€¦ and yes - I picked my spots to take mental and physical breaks.
Some of that was a strategic foul here and there to get a breather.
Switching off onto the opponentā€™s worst offensive player for a possession here or there ā€¦ Getting a rebound and throwing a long outlet for a 2 on 1 break that I didnā€™t have to join ā€¦etc.

How well do you think Guy played defensively at UVA?

Watch how Chris Paul plays now. He takes breaks in LOTS of ways and largely keeps the game slow by dictating pace. Lengthy on court debates with referees and the like.

Think we have discussed before

6 Likes

Canā€™t stand that guy - but he definitely thinks the game from all aspects beginning to end.

1 Like

This was a cool graphic.

13 Likes

And I have never used foul language here like you just did ā€¦. And never will.

Fair enoughā€¦but donā€™t think that never using coarse language makes you come off better than someone else. If you want a true open forum, you canā€™t play the holier than thou card. I did not directly call you a foul name.

FWIW, you come off like you really know more than most of us here because of your experience in basketballā€¦not sure if that is intentional, but that is how many perceive your posts.

Honestly, I really try not to get too emotionally wrapped up in this anymore. Iā€™ve been a fan of Virginia basketball since Ralph was a first year. My family had come to the States in 1977 when I was 7, and I was finally understanding the lamguage and culture enough to be invested in rooting for a team. Iā€™ve lived and died many times with the team in the years sinceā€¦

ā€¦until three years ago, when my progressive depression and anxiety finally caught up with me and I tried to end my life. I failed, obviously. Part of the journey back has been reminding myself that there are so many things much more important than Virginia basketball. Virginia will always be my alma mater, and I will always root for the teamā€¦just not in the same borderline irrational way so many of us getā€¦

6 Likes

Lots of talk about shooters and gravity ā€¦ re: McNeil, Isaacā€™s, Vander Plas etc.
Here is what I mean when I say it ā€¦ the fear of Steph and Klay getting a look from 3 causes so many open looks for others.
Watch these 5 mins:

1 Like

Allā€™s good.
We can be a Sweet 16 at least level team this year if Perrantes finishes the season as the career leader in minutes.
Confidence.

1 Like

This is good - from a current student athlete.

Caleb Wallis

The transition from high school hoops to college hoops was difficult. Here are 5 tips Iā€™ve learned from my first two years of college hoops for athletes about to make the same transition!

1. Sacrifice. Itā€™s not about you. Youā€™re prob not the most talented hooper on the team anymore. Drop all ego. Itā€™s about winning.

2. Learn. Never grow satisfied. There are always opportunities to grow and lessons to learn. Have a willingness to learn and be coachable. Thatā€™s how youā€™ll truly develop.

3. Defend. Struggling to get on the court and want an opportunity to prove you can help win? Be the guy that can guard the other teams best player. Thatā€™s how you get your foot in the door early.

4. Time management. Being a student athlete is a full-time job. However, your schedule isnā€™t a 9-5. So this means you gotta learn how to manage that ā€œall over the placeā€ schedule. Managing your time is one of the biggest skills youā€™ll need to learn at the next level.

5. Win the locker room. You can never reach your maximum potential if you donā€™t have the support from your teammates. To earn this respect you first must SERVE. Be a servant leader. Provide positivity to your teammates no matter your playing time circumstances.

9 Likes

Keeping this one time stamped here ā€¦ canā€™t stop smiling.

1 Like

Lotta selective running in these highlightsā€¦

2 Likes

Donā€™t know which thread to put this in, but on the other hand, who cares?

The difference next year between a marginal top 20/25 team and a team capable of getting to the Elite 8 is the continued development/evolution of Gardner. Early in the ACC season, he tried to play on the blocks and muscle his way in - different level of defender than he faced the prior years and he had mixed success at best. His game evolved so that he moved out and faced the basket and, for the most part, was very consistent with the 10-15 foot jumper. I think next year most of our offense will go through him so, to me, the two things to build off of that - heā€™s got to become a 3-point threat on the baseline and heā€™s got to put it on the floor with a quick first step and then be prepared to pass if he draws the other defender or go up strong if not.

I think becoming the 3-point threat is the hardest - but maybe the most important because it will space the floor better for Traudt, who I hope we pair with Gardner in a tall ball lineup (Reece, Armaan/Isaac M and Kadin). Traudt can fill to the block on the same side as Gardner, hopefully on a smaller defender and give Gardner the option to pass in if so. The two of them can go inside out then with Traudt at the three point line and Gardner inside, because Traudt can very much shoot the three (I know most everyone thinks that Isaac M will be the best shooter on the team, but Iā€™m going with Isaac T). Will give Gardner the room inside if a smaller defender stays with him. Iā€™m very positive on Traudt and believe that almost regardless if BvP comes in, heā€™s going to get significant PT as he is a real mismatch on the offensive end for most teams. If Gardner is a legitimate threat from 3, then spacing both he and Traudt out to the 3-point line will give Armaan a lot of room to drive/maneuver into the middle, which I think is his real strength.

In short, Iā€™m kinda pumped about next year. A few realistic improvements push our ceiling much higher. Of course, Isaac T has to be the player I believe him to be.