šŸ™„ No Holds Barred Thread - A Haney/DavetheWave Production

Iā€™ve watched just about every game twice the last 4 years.
When Reece gets an outlet pass from the big or gets a defensive rebound - his first instinct is to run 75% of the time. The other 25% he wants to rest.
For Clark itā€™s the opposite and worse - about 95% of the time he stops to collect his wind and 5% he tries to push.
2 fold thought there. Clark plays too much and is worn out. Thatā€™s on Tony.
Also - everything is hard for Clark as a 5-7 dude in the ACC ā€¦ so he gets tired playing 25 seconds of defense every time. If we go go back to having ACC level athletes and size at the guard positions once Clark is gone - and I can see more attempted run outs.
When I watch tape - both college and HS recruits ā€¦ I am watching to see if there are things that come easy to them ā€¦ vision and delivery of on-time passes ā€¦ easy dunking - ideally with elbows ā€¦ Stealing - staying in front effortlesslyā€¦ shooting easily from 24 feet ā€¦ making heavily contested shots without being distracted.
Reminds me of Shaqā€™s name for Curry - Stephortless.

1 Like

The D takes a huge toll. When Reece!! has all the keys buckle up, I think

1 Like

I was hopeful that Jayden could add a 3 over last summer, but it didnā€™t happen. He tried a few early in the season, then it more or less disappeared unless it was garbage time. I donā€™t think he has enough arc to shoot the three. I guess itā€™s always possible he adds it, but last year makes me think itā€™s unlikely.

1 Like

If you watch his form on three balls - itā€™s a shot put - not a shooterā€™s stroke.

1 Like

The stroke on his jumper and free throws isnā€™t much better - itā€™s a flat-ish push, and I always feel like itā€™s going to come up short (though I recognize he makes a lot of them). Iā€™d have to go back and watch, but I feel like his misses did end up on the short side a lot of the time

1 Like

Malc didnā€™t have that much arc and he had something that resembles a push shot. Maybe Gardner cant develop it (Iā€™m not talking 5 3ā€™s a a game, but maybe 2), but if he can, it really sets up our floor spacing so much better.

3 Likes

Purdue 2019 - The Playā€¦

Iā€™ve seen so many comments about Hoo was responsible and Hoo gets credit so I will break down the whole play.

Purdue was up by 2 with 17 seconds left when Ryan Cline goes to the line for 2 FTā€™s. He makes one and misses the 2nd, so now UVA is down 3. Here is the sequence now that lays out all of the events and who was responsible for ā€œThe Play.ā€

So Cline gets the first credit for missing the 2nd FT.

1. Matt Painter - Purdue coach - tells his team to foul Jerome and they do with 5.9 seconds left. So first bit of credit goes to Painter for stopping the clock instead of UVA having to hoist a 3 in scramble mode to attempt to tie the game.

2. Jerome goes to the line down 3 for a one and one. He clutches up and makes the all important 1st free throw. Then he looks to Coach Bennett to decide whether to make or miss.

3. Coach Bennett wonā€™t make eye contact with Jerome so Ty doesnā€™t know what to do. So accidental credit to Tony?

4. Coach Bennett is busy getting Hunter ready to sub back into the game when Ty makes the 1st free throw to set up the defense.

5. However - Jack Salt and Diakite are both in the game for the 2nd FT. This forces Haarms - the 7-3 center - to be on the same side of the key as Salt to block out our biggest strongest guy. That left Eifert - a small 6-6 forward - to block out Diakite. So credit to Tony for having Salt in at that point. And credit to Salt for occupying 2 Purdue guys on that rebound.

6. Inexplicably Painter didnā€™t have Trevion Williams in the game for that rebound - he was by far the Boilermakers best rebounder percentage wise that year. And at 6-10 vs Eifert at 6-6 would likely have prevented Diakite from getting in to tip it out. So more credit to Painter.

7. As Ty is getting ready to shoot the 2nd FT, Guy gets Diakiteā€™s attention and reminds him to tip out a miss. Credit to Guy.

8. Ty misses the FT short enough for it to bounce out far enough for Diakite to get his hand on it. Credit to Ty.

9. Diakite proceeds to tip it out - very far. By the way Mamadi could have simply grabbed the rebound - he was that clear to the ball - and put it back up - or drop it off to Jerome who would have had a layupā€¦ you can re-watch it and see what I mean. Credit to Diakite.

10. Clark and Guy chase the long tip out and Clarkā€™s quickness gets him there first. Also Guy did a great job of shielding off Eastern during the chase to the ball allowing Clark to have a very clean recovery. Credit to Clark and Guy.

11. Clark recovers the ball with 3.4 seconds left and turns around. He takes a dribble to get turned around and then 1 more dribble to get going toward the basket. Credit to Clark.

12. As Clark is recovering, Guy and Ty peel off to each side. Ty draws Edwards to him and Guy draws both Cline and partially Eifert. Credit to Ty and Guy.

13. Eifert from Purdue gets lost in the mad scramble and guards nobody. This leaves Haarms in the back to guard 2 guys - Salt and Diakite. Credit to Eifert.

14. Salt flares out all the way to the 3 point line drawing Haarms all the way to him. This makes it impossible for Haarms to get all the way back to Diakite when Clark makes the pass. Credit to Salt.

15. Clark looks up and sees the 2 on one up the floor and zips the one handed pass - releasing the ball with 1.9 seconds left - to Diakite right in his shooting pocket. Big Credit to Clark.

16. Diakite catches the ball with 0.8 seconds left and releases the shot with 0.3 seconds left - crazy half a second catch and release. Huge credit to Diakite to catch and shoot so fast in such a high pressure moment and make the shot.

17. https://youtu.be/UHVOFjx4Tfc

12 Likes

Credit to Purdus fans for not crying that Ty Jerome violated on the missed FT. savvy as it gets

6 Likes

Williams was a 51% FT shooter. Painter probably expected us to foul whether Ty made it or missed and didnā€™t want Williams taking the FTs.

4 Likes

True ā€¦ but cart before the horse. I have him in on the FT attemptsā€¦ and if Ty makes the second oneā€¦ sub him out and put in Eifert.
Iā€™m a detailed dude in end of game scenarios ā€¦ seen it a ton of times cost teams games.

Ty misses the 2nd, Williams is their best rebounder and is the most likely one to grab the board. We foul him immediately. He goes to the line for a 1&1 (if I counted correctly, we had 7 fouls to that point), misses the first. If we grab the board clean, we have 5.X seconds to get down the court and get a shot off against a scrambling defense down 2. Ty or Kyle probably get a decent look at a 3 in that scenario.

Iā€™m probably giving Painter too much credit here anyway. Doubt he had time to think through that scenario and all the other ones heā€™d need to consider.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Counterpoint:

5 Likes

I might have to bar you from this thread!!!

2 Likes

Bump

Bumping

Kyle Getter

@KyleGetter

Heard a great word this morning. ā€œRegret looks back. Frustration looks around. But faith looks forward.ā€ Keep looking forward!

1 Like

Hilarious ā€¦ Iā€™ve been saying this for a while ā€¦ but itā€™s groundbreaking?

Saw that while I was ā€œlooking aroundā€ this morning

Great quote

Groundbreaking is when you actually do the thing we just talk about here! Power conferences should absolutely follow suit but thereā€™s a bit of an issue with the jam packed schedules with conference networks.

1 Like