šŸ™„ No Holds Barred Thread - A Haney/DavetheWave Production

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/i/status/1543371753648300032

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/Jacquethepoet/status/1543369457103429636/photo/1

11 Likes

Shaq and Kobe running the break was awesome, and I generally didnā€™t like Shaq and Kobe. Is Palinka watching Huff and questioning the need for KD? :joy:

3 Likes

I donā€™t want to hear that comparison until Huff plays the sheriff is several terrible Adam Sandler movies

2 Likes

Moretti talk reminds me:

• Shoulda been Texas Techā€™s ball. UVa wins anyway. I accept human fallibility
  • Call was correct. Iā€™m in favor of the modern surveillance state and all its dystopian consequences

0 voters

1 Like

I had to go with the dystopian surveillance state for no other reason than the inane commentary by one of the announcers at the time. He conceded that the replay clearly showed that Moretti was the last one to touch the ball, but that awarding the ball to Virginia violated the ā€œspirit of the ruleā€ as Dre was clearly the one who caused the ball to go out of bounds.

So yes, when a guy is stripped of the ball on the way up for a layup and then fumbles the ball out of bounds, clearly the defender ā€œcausedā€ the ball to go out of bounds and it should be awarded to the offense. Oh, and if a player falling out of bounds slams the ball off of an opponentā€™s leg, he clearly caused the ball to go out of bounds.

About the dumbest hot take ever.

10 Likes

That play would have stopped a game in Slaughter for an easy 15 minutes of argument and maybe 30 at the Dell

6 Likes

Itā€™s an edge case for sure, which is what makes it interesting. The way I split the baby is this:

• IF you do the super slo-mo replay with special Final 4 cameras and that shows that Moretti touches it last, then itā€™s the right call.
  • Also, IF your process for determining possession is to use electron microscopes and bring in special forensic analysts and have a deep dive on every out of bounds call that lasts 3 weeks, and that process determines Moretti touched it last, then itā€™s also the right call.
  • So, then, if we all acknowledge (I hope) that the forensic analysis is too far, that means we all think thereā€™s a line of what tech we use to overturn (and probably more importantly, how much time and resource we devote to it) calls. Iā€™d put that line before the special super-slo cameras, I guess.
1 Like

Haha! Itā€™s funny, Iā€™ve glorified pick-up ball in my memories, the further away they get. I had mostly forgotten about this fun little part of it.

2 Likes

just shoot FTs for the ball and move on ha. Nah man we liked to argue!

3 Likes

I thought it was TTā€™s ball BUT to go devils advocate. The Morreti made a tiny mistake when Dre poked it away by ā€œchasingā€ it. Which I get in this situation. No way his mind could have reacted to the situation I guess, but just getting your hands away gives the ref no chance to overturn

3 Likes

I set a pick once at Slaughter which set off almost set off a brawl. Didnā€™t realize it wasnā€™t cool in pickup.

3 Likes

Easy choice for me. Close call in OT of the national championship game goes UVAā€™s wayā€¦GREAT CALL! If we had been on the other side of the call and lost, Iā€™d be complaining about it on a daily basis.

Tevon was fouled in 2014.

13 Likes

I always enjoyed the reaction the few times someone tried to take a charge.

3 Likes

Generally with you on replay. I have given up largely on pro football as the replay and ludicrous rules changes had made the game unwatchable.

But the time to set the replay rules is before the season, not in the last 2 minutes of the last game of the season. UVA ball.

4 Likes

Well, yeah. Iā€™m not a monster.

6 Likes

you were THAT guy! just kidding. funny story

2 Likes

Iā€™m afraid I was THAT guyā€”but only onceā€¦

2 Likes

Though Iā€™m compelled to type that the bigger issue in the MSG MSU game was the loose whistle that MSU got for most of the game. We were a super physical team, too (Akil, Justin, Darion, Joeā€™s a big dude, etc.), but had adjusted to a tight whistle throughout the season, but those refs let MSU be very physical.

5 Likes