🙄 No Holds Barred Thread - A Haney/DavetheWave Production

Sorry but that’s an insane take. His defense was on McGusty, the flashes he showed his sophomore year put into a bigger role than intended before the health issues kicked in. I cant agree with that but can see its an agree to disagree.

A star or first team acc guy? of course not. But someone who could have been valuable off the bench in the ACC under a normal development? I think so.

1 Like

If it makes you feel better @bdhammond28 its not as insane a take as believing we will get Cosby and Gertrude LOL. Ive had HGN directly tell me “That is not happening lol”. Somehow I still believe it, like genuinely.

2 Likes

Yeah I may have been hyperbolic. But I think we can both agree if Papi, Kody, and a walk on are you only playable options on the bench, something is off with your roster construction. We should obviously be shooting higher than that. I’m mostly positive(even to a fault), and I really think we’re getting back on track after ‘22 and still feel cautiously optimistic about ‘23. I just try to call a spade a spade so I don’t come across as the “nothings wrong, everything is great” crowd. That crowd is just as annoying as the “sky is falling” crowd.

6 Likes

Yeah I mean on a good UVA team, senior year Kody would have been only asked to sit in the corner and shoot open 3s, which, for all his faults, he was able to usually do.

3 Likes

yeah I will agree with that. And I was frustrated we didn’t use the 3 open schollies to preserve team chemistry and give opportunity, only for transfers and no opportunity to happen anyways.

2 Likes

3 Likes

I suspect on a good UVa team, senior year Kody may not have been asked to do much.

Whether Kody was an “Acc level player” gets into a territory where we’d mostly be arguing over definitions. Which I think answers the question…

5 Likes

He contributed on a team that won an acc regular season and also was probably going to be a 5 or 6 seed (COVID year). He was an ACC level player. No definitions needed. Whether you want to believe he was an ACC level player is a different question.

2 Likes

You’re literally doing the thing you’re claiming to be not doing.

2 Likes

That’s fair. On the flip side I dont think this is particularly true in assuming the answer is no. If you are one to find a definition that defines Kody as a not acc level player in the sea of possible definitions then you never wanted to define Kody as an ACC player in the first place.

1 Like

How many ACC players have shot 25% on dunks

1 Like

How many acc players in ACC history have been on a national title team? idk.

I do wonder how Tony would answer the question: “Is Kody an acc level player?”

Im not saying Kody is the next Michael Jordan. But Kody is easily good for what you want in a 9-13 on the roster in ACC play. Someone bought into the program. You need those. Kody is an acc level player in terms of what Tony looks at in a roster and what you need from 1 to 13.

He had two seasons where he had double digit field goals… total… over the whole season

1 Like

Okay. You still need players who buy in and provide depth. Who knows where Kody ends up without the health issues

This is your praise?!

I didn’t really need to be running down Kody today (lord knows I’ve done enough of that), but I thought this came up in the context of Kody being an example of a guy who we brought in during a down year in recruiting where we wish we’d brought in better. I guess I’ll leave it there…

4 Likes

Yeah you’re saying he’s not an acc level player. Im saying he is. ACC level player doesnt mean 1st team or 2nd team all acc. You need guys who buy into your program. Fans don’t have to think about that but coaches do. You can’t have 13 guys who all want to start.

To be totally clear, no, I did not say that and I am not saying that.

My main view on whether a guy is an ACC player or not is it’s a fruitless discussion. I think the fact that Kody is a guy who merits such a fruitless discussion tells us what we need to know.

From all accounts, seems like a good kid. He stayed 4 years and got his degree. He’s a Hoo. Now he can come on here and argue. C’mon Kody! Join the debate!

3 Likes

Clarify then what we need to know. You’ve said this twice now.

We are never going to take the Arkansas approach where we recruit 13 kids every off season

He played in the ACC is the definition that you’re using. Malachi was an ACC-level player by that definition. So was Marco Anthony.

He was below replacement-level or whatever. He was not good. This is a really bad hill to die on.

3 Likes

Marco Anthony turned out fine. led Utah State to a conference championship and a tourney appearance.

Stattmann had health issues and still was serviceable.

The hill im dying on is the same one Tony would. Its not a hill Im dying on. I wouldn’t care either way. I just dont have it in me to sit back and watch things like “Stattmann isn’t an acc player”. Every ACC team has 5-6 guys on the bench who contribute minimally. Over half the ACC would be non-acc players

1 Like