šŸ™„ No Holds Barred Thread - A Haney/DavetheWave Production

Northwestern, Indiana-Jacobs, Michigan,Cincinnati-CCM, Mannes, MSM, Colburn, Curtis, NEC, CIM, Peabody, USC-Thornton, Rice, UT-Austin

Oberlin is so beautiful it is unbelievable

@jazznutUVA were you doing jazz auditions? I had never heard of USF as a classical performance musician. The main west coast places were USC, Colburn, and UCLA for graduate programs in theory, history, and musicology

It is really interesting how the Tobacco Road of classical music is basically the Midwest. The elite talent at Indiana, Oberlin, Cincinnati, CIM, Michigan, and Northwestern is perhaps even more concentrated than the one and dones at duke and unc

3 Likes

Not USFā€¦ San Francisco Conservatory of Musicā€¦ and yes, my genre of choice was jazzā€¦ modal Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, etc. for the winā€¦ screw C Major & A Minor scalesā€¦ LOL!

3 Likes

Gotta put in a good word for my sonā€™s alma mater, Eastman School of Music in Rochester.

An original composition by my son from his senior recital this spring. Heā€™s the guitarist.

10 Likes

Is Carnegie-Mellon that good for music? I know itā€™s fantastic for performing arts and stage craft but I think of it as more drama/theater than music.

For classical, it is not on the level of Northwestern, Michigan, IU

Happy birthday bro

1 Like
5 Likes

As of now she wonā€™t be going to an arts only collegeā€¦ she wants to be a writer and has multiple Top 10 placings in multiple Writing categories too ā€¦ has already earned a few dollars for her writing ā€¦. So will likely go somewhere with a strong music program and businessā€¦ will continue to get her writing training elsewhere than college ā€¦ most of her mentors say college isnā€™t the greatest place to learn the craft.
Teaching music could be her way to fund her writing career at the beginningā€¦
Has been asked to teach piano lessons but hasnā€™t started yet ā€¦. Cool to see options especially with Zoom being an option so as not to limit who she can give private lessons toā€¦

5 Likes

Congratulations on having such a talented daughter!! Very cool to have a future in the Arts!!

3 Likes

Yale.

Or dark horse for music + writing - Iowa

1 Like

Ha ā€¦ wouldnā€™t let her near the Ivy League cesspool

4 Likes

Understand what you mean, but my daughter has enjoyed her undergraduate and PhD years there. All in all, not a bad place with a bunch of talented kids like your daughter.

1 Like

This day in Elite 24 history, your favorite poster was sitting a couple rows behind the backboard where deRozan dunked off of a halfcourt Jennings lob (~1:45)

You can recognize me as the guy in business casual reacting to the dunk in the typical way ā€“ adjusting my glasses.

Mixed blessing though, tbh. That play made me bet that Jennings would win ROTY after Italy, and it was of course, Tyreke. Some guy named Curry wound up being pretty good though.

4 Likes

Italy trip reminds me of one my favorite SNL sketches recently:

9 Likes

So far nothing has really changed for me for what Iā€™d like to see to start the season as far as rotations.
With approx. minutes
Starters:

1. Reece - 32
  2. Franklin - 20
  3. Murray - 20
  4. Gardner 24 - still torn a little on this oneā€¦ could change to BVP or Traudt
  5. Shedrick - 25
    First off the bench at each spot:
    1 Clark - 8
    2 McKneely - 20
    3 Bond/Dunn - 12, BVP - 8
    4 BVP - 12, Traudt - 4 ā€¦ see above
    5 Traudt - 15

If Gardner takes 2 or 3 threes a game and makes 35% or greater then he can play a little at the 3 as well.
Everybody would be super fresh and amped the whole game and we wouldnā€™t have to worry about getting tired or foul trouble. This likely leads to more fast breaks as the guys know they can endure 28 second defensive possessions because they wonā€™t be playing 30 minutes + a night.

1 Like

For me, hard to know much more than what I knew a few months ago without game film from Italy. And even if we had film/tape, the comp. seems a little subpar, so far. Maybe even worse to this point than in Spain (where we at least played a team with a guy that had just graduated from Miami - Cruz-Uceda).

If we had tape for the 2 Mega games, then maybe Iā€™d have a better instinct after that.

But with all those caveats:

• Traudt seems like he can and should and (hopefully) will contribute. Almost 20 seems high. Iā€™d probably bump him down a bit.
  • I have no instinct on BVP v. Gardner. After seeing a very few practice/game highlights, I think BVP can be useful as a 3 offensively, but I have no idea how heā€™d do defensively against ACC caliber 3s. Mega could be useful in thatā€¦ (theoretically, if we were to get any useful game film, which we wonā€™t).
  • In the absence of any useful indicators so far, I think what I want is the two of them splitting the 4 minutes with Traudt something like 40-40-20, with each of them taking some minutes at the 5 in small lineups, and BVP taking some 3.
  • Papi gets 10 minutes in my world. Heā€™s useful on true, back to the basket bigs. We will need him against Bacot, Dickinson, and whoever else is still around from that one AAU team that turned out a ton of good college bigs and a ton of mediocre college guards.
  • I generally agree with one PG, but I think 5-10 MPG of two PG is probably ok, even in my ideal PG allocation.
  • Youā€™ve got McKneely at 40MPG, which seems a bit high! :joy:
  • At the 2, Iā€™d be happy with another 40-40-20 split (Armaan-IMac-PG spillover)
  • The three, I donā€™t really know. Itā€™s a potpourri of [SG spillover] ā€“ [Bond and/or Dunn] ā€“ [BVP]. Call it 30-40-30. Something like that.
  • Redshirts - nobody. Forget the word. Burn it out of your vocab. The whole Clockwork Orange thing was cruel, but maybe it would work for the concept of redshirting. Worth a try. It makes little sense in college hoops, and never did, and was a weird Jay Wright / Bennett concept thatā€™s never really worked.
4 Likes

I have McKneely for 20 and Murray for 20

2 Likes

Sorry, I misread. And I forgot about Taine

Iā€™ll have to think on the numbers a bit, but in general agreement. I think that weā€™ll see a much deeper rotation this year (although hard to imagine a smaller one), as Tony seems to be saying as much himself. He also keeps talking about how much he wants shooters on the floor.

These two things give me a lot of hope that weā€™ll see a lot less of Reeceā€¼ļøand Kihei on the floor at the same time. But I still fully expect the game one starting lineup to be:

Reeceā€¼ļø
Kihei
Armaan
Jayden
Kadin

How quickly that changes over the course of the season will determine a lot.

Oh, and Iā€™m down with 40 minutes of Isaac M.

3 Likes