šŸ™„ No Holds Barred Thread - A Haney/DavetheWave Production

The umpire should face some type of disciplinary action for that

3 Likes

There was an announcement from the conference, the ump is getting an indefinite suspension.

4 Likes

In addition- that game also shouldnā€™t count against the team.

That gets a little tricky.

Problem with mistakes like that is that you canā€™t put the toothpaste back in the tube once the call has been made. My sonā€™s baseball team, which I was coaching, lost a semifinal game when the home plate umpire called my batter out on a dropped third strike with two outs and runners on second and third. The pitch was in the dirt, so the catcher jumped up and tagged the batterā€”with an empty mitt. God and everyone saw the ball ricochet over by the first base dugout. Everyone except the home plate umpire. Heā€™s supposed to make the catcher show him the ball before making the call, but he didnā€™t. We lost by a run. Nothing we could do though, even though the winning run would have easily scored from second. Once he made the call, play stopped.

It would be unfair to the winning team to vacate the win, and simply vacating our loss wouldnā€™t have helped us any. It was a tournament.

Looking at the Hoosā€™ regular season win over Duke, the ACC and NCAA said the refs blew the call. But what good would it do to vacate Dukeā€™s loss without taking away our win? And vacating our win after playing overtime would have been even worse than their stupid and unhelpful press releasesā€”which probably got the rule wrong anyway.

The umpire deserves the suspension. His was not a mere mistake, but a deliberate perversion of the rules to make a point with the player. But, unfortunately, his call stands.

4 Likes

In this Miss Valley State game, they were down 7-3 with no one on, so very probably the call didnā€™t change the outcome. But in your case, damn. Thatā€™s got to have been a tough one to talk your team through.

2 Likes

Stupid thing was, the catcher immediately realized that he didnā€™t have the ball and ripped off his mask and started frantically hunting for it, but the umpire made the anyway.

Yeah, it was tough. But I made the kids shake hands with the other team and the umpires without a word about the call, then let the kids vent, cry, and complain about the call only after we had cleared out of the dugout and gotten well away from the field. After about five minutes, I asked them if they thought the call was why they lost the game. After a little grumbling, they all said no as they listed various mistakes and failures that they made in the game and even a couple of calls that went our way. A couple of guys credited the other team for their play.

Iā€™m sure they all still are ticked off about it to this day, but it was a pretty good lesson to learn in their first tournament.

4 Likes

Great for after a loss ā€¦ just spend 15 minutes here.

1 Like
1 Like

This is hilarious. Donā€™t read the caption first. Just watch the video:
https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1636820629734432768?s=46&t=Y9ZJTUudJiFOC0Ajwlmckw

8 Likes

Charles Barkley is a national treasure.

7 Likes

Is he wrong?

1 Like

What he say?

That in his early days in the NBA after games heā€™d take showers wearing his uniform to wash them. Because apparently that was easier than having the team launder them especially if they had an early flight the next day.

Clark, in particular, was just absolutely not buying it was true.

4 Likes

Not sure where else to post this and apologies if cross posting is frowned upon but read the initial post and then scroll down to the reply by ā€œmtroghooā€. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever laughed this hard at a UVA message board post in my life:

7 Likes

Really a bad look by Davis. Saying he feels ā€œcheatedā€ because his 14-19 team was not selected to the CBI and their made-up postseason event was deniedā€¦all in his 5th yearā€¦

9 Likes

I think he is just struggling with himself about it and is taking it out the wrong way. He is just going through a moment and will regret this relatively soon.

2 Likes

The headline makes it sound way worse than the article (as always). Many of the guyā€™s quotes are far more measured than that one quoted word, and the thing he takes issue with is that his team really would have been invited to a postseason tournament if not for the fact that other schools threatened to boycott these postseason tournaments if his team was included (which he understandably describes as ā€œweirdā€).

ā€œI had opportunities to do it in the Youngstown game,ā€ Davis said. ā€œI canā€™t be mad about it, but I just donā€™t get why people would go out of their way to say we shouldnā€™t have an opportunity.ā€

Better to keep your mouth shut and smile and be humble. But itā€™s not like heā€™s out here pitching a fit.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Maybe my favorite moment of the season:

4 Likes