šŸ©¼ Old Farts - Reminiscing on the Past

Ha. Thats awesome man. Great foto and congrats all around. Gettin them 100% independent is the key and great accomplishment by our kids

5 Likes

Anyone ever heard of the Corks and Curls?

11 Likes

Evidently nobody has heard of it. Iā€™m doing a little spring cleaning today and come across it. Itā€™s the UVA yearbook from 1948. My mom didnā€™t go to school at UVA but worked at the cafeteria during this time

6 Likes

I remember it well. No clue why they called it that

Awesome by your mom man. We all loved no one more than our cafeteria workers. Always special people you saw daily

5 Likes

She actually worked at the University Cafeteria. Iā€™m sure a lot of guys remember it or know of it

8 Likes

University Cafeteria was my go to choice for dining in Charlottesville between 1972 and 1975. I was a graduate student who worked in Cobb Hall. Lunch option was often the Hospital cafeteria but late work option was UniCaf.

Was sorely disappointed, when I returned for a football game and UniCaf was gone.

5 Likes

University Cafeteria was awesome.

Something the youngsters will not rememberā€¦it was a first year right of passage to find yourself in the basement at Poeā€™s, knee deep in cheap pitchers of beer and finally trying to navigate your way back to the dorms.

4 Likes

Uni-Caf was my go to lunch 4 days a week. About $2.50 with a 50 cent tip. Amazing. The basement of Poeā€™s was the Mousetrap? Amazing bacon-mushroom cheeseburger. And the beer - lots of beer.

And then there was the University Diner - the U/D. Too many grillswiths there at 2am, jawing with Ethel. After beers at Poeā€™s.

6 Likes

Us older guys have been around a long time. We have seen the passing of Bird, Magic, and Nash. But is this 7ft Jokic the best passer and as a result the best offensive player we have ever seen?

1 Like

Think of how many points he accounts for on the floor. Old farts are best equipped to answer this question ā€¦

3 Likes

The game is so wide open now and Jokic thrives in it

2 Likes

My wife just found this book in a box of old stuffā€¦ published in 1995

8 Likes

No, Poeā€™s was over by Eljos on Mainā€“I think itā€™s Trinity now. The bar above the Mousetrap was The Garrison (at least late 70s early 80s).

I ran sound for my friendā€™s band in those days and we played in both places among others.

1 Like

Just got back from my UVa reunion, so Iā€™m late replying to some of these previous posts, but also armed with recent Cville knowledge ā€¦

First: The bar on top of the Mousetrap may have been the Garrison at some point, but I remember it as The Garrett. I wsa there one night when Jeff Jones held a watch party for the NBA Draft. He went in the third round to much cheering, back when there was a third round.

Second: Corks & Curls was indeed the yearbook. A few years ago ā€“ when there wad.s a scandal over the governor being photographed in college wearing blackface ā€“ it was discovered that the name had racist origins: The ā€œcorksā€ referred to burnt cork that minstrels used for blackface, and the ā€œcurlsā€ referred to Afro wigs. (Interesting aside: A friend of mine from The Washington Post asked me to look through my yearbook to find the photo of the governor. I did not find it ā€“ but, alarmingly, I found about a half-dozen other photos of students wearing blackface. Apparently, it was still a widely accepted practice when I attended.)

8 Likes

The picture of Northam was in the EVMS yearbook. He was either in blackface or a Klan robe in the photo.

Northam never went to UVa ā€” VMI undergrad, Eastern Virginia for med school.

(I believe there might have been a photo of the former AG, Herring, dressed as Michael Jackson, in Corks n Curls, however.)

3 Likes

How long was it called Corks and Curls? The yearbook i have is 1948.

3 Likes

That was medschool if I recall.

Yes, Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk.

1 Like

Still the c&c in 1987. I have that one

1 Like

You are correct. I misremembered. It was Herringā€™s photo I was looking for.

Corks & Curls was our neighbor in the attic of Newcomb Hall when I was with The Cavalier Daily. We used to sneak into their storeroom and eavesdrop on the Honor Committee hearings one floor below. I think they folded around 2008 because of a lack of funds, but may have made a comeback since then.

3 Likes