🩼 Old Farts - Reminiscing on the Past

Big ups to anyone who knows the name of the Hall in the background of this picture (or even what prominent UVa office is there) :

I had to google it, but remembered that I hated going there with a passion. It was like UVa’s version of purgatory.

1 Like

Fitzhugh? The scene of @haneys first year crimes

1 Like

Funny, but no. Not a dorm. Near the athletic complex…

1 Like

Is it Carruthers Hall? When I came back to UVA as a visiting student for my last year of law school, we had just gotten into town and my wife (we had been married for two months) read about a UVA daycare job that paid reasonably well and had a deadline of that day. We rushed over to Carruthers and got there 10 minutes before the office closed. The lady behind the glass wouldn’t let my wife fill out the application because she wasn’t convinced she could finish it in time. I was so ticked. My wife had worked at daycares and had just graduated with a teaching license. She ended up teaching at a school at a Baptist church in C’ville and made next to nothing, but we got by (on a very tight budget). She’s now in her 32nd year teaching in public schools in Virginia so it worked out, but my view of Carruthers is not kind.

10 Likes

I was thinking Carruthers as well. Maybe used to get transcripts there back in the day?

3 Likes

I’ll add that it was 91-92, so after two years of being stuck in Moscow, Idaho watching Big Sky basketball, I got to see my Hoos with DFresh play again. One shocking result I remember seeing at U-Hall was when we lost to FSU by 1 after Bryant Stith missed two free throws that would have won it (I think I am recalling that correctly). We finished strong that season and beat Notre Dame (as always) to win the NIT.

3 Likes

Ding ding! Glad to know I’m not alone. (Apologies to all of you who worked at Carruthers or had loved ones there)

(Sorry to derail the Kon/Christian/Patrick chatter)

4 Likes

Solid 4-0 against the Irish. NCAA first round at South Bend at home and NIT finals. You nailed it

2 Likes

Stith’s closing minutes at South Bend is one of the most remarkable stretches by a player I have ever seen. (Edit - it was a damn great team effort too).

2 Likes

Never seen anything like it. Proud I was on the court for that and just passed the ball to Bryant everytime

4 Likes

Here’s some video:
UVA-ND

3 Likes

Just watched that again. You forced the turnover to close it out, didn’t you?

2 Likes

Amazing. See that pressure D then dude dribbled OOB on the last play? Hahhaaha

4 Likes

Must’ve been taken right in front of Ralph’s Taproom.

1 Like

Oh, right, Had my wires crossed on UVa geography. Thought Carruthers was across from JPJ/McCue, but I guess it’s across from Barracks.

One of Carruthers’ many charms for first years was it’s combination of: (1) you will probably have to go here multiple times, and (2) you will not be able to easily reach it by either walking or university transportation!

3 Likes

Is that where you registered and they told you how many parking tickets you have outstanding?

7 Likes

Yes! I think so, but not the place you had to go to pay the parking tickets… Logically.

2 Likes

Sometimes those magically disappeared. God bless the lady going into my fourth year… that helped

4 Likes

I think I knew someone who knew someone who knew someone at UTS, and it was one of the few times connections have worked in my favor…

2 Likes

I remember that game very well. Bryant was off most of the night until that closing run. Then, every time down the floor every one knew he was going to take the shot and still they couldn’t stop him. He just refused to lose.

One of the three or four most memorable performances by a Hoo I’ve seen, and I’ve seen most all of them since I saw Barry Parkhill play in 1971. Some of the others include Ralph’s 40 against Ohio State, Richard Morgan lighting up UNCheat, Chris Alexander stifling Tim Duncan, and there are others but very few.

5 Likes