Outside UVa Recruiting

Now that I’ve confidently stated it, I can’t actually back it up with a link, but I’m pretty sure it’s true. Also, in the “desperate naming” category, Astoria is named after John Jacob Astor not because he gave them money, but because they really really wanted him to give them some money (or land, or whatever).

3 Likes

I’ve always thought they should rebrand to the University of New Jersey or something like that. Make clear they’re the flagship and not confuse as many people who are like “Is it public? Is it private? The hell is a Rutgers?” But maybe I’m totally off on that.

4 Likes

Does that explain Astor Place as well? I mean early on you had to name shit something. They ran outta “New” everythings

1 Like

I legit didn’t know it was a public school even though I knew it was the school of New Jersey just never put 2 and 2 together.

4 Likes

Not directly Rutgers related, but I’ll say this about NJ. I was raised in VA and growing up NJ probably was 50th in the states I’d say I’d be willing to live in. Fast forward and my wife and kids and I move to Bergen County. Lived there for five years. Really enjoyed it. Once you get off the main roads and into the small towns, there are some great places in NJ.

11 Likes

:shushing_face:

3 Likes

One of the benefits here in NC where I live … we live outside the city limits so only have county property tax and not city added on. Makes a difference since the county keeps stupidly raising our assessed value to squeeze more tax money out of us.
Could mean we move to a state with no property taxes when the kids are all out.

2 Likes

Is there a state with no property tax?

2 Likes

Odds are no property tax = high income or sales taxes

People think you save a lot in florida but property, sales tax and flood/disaster insurance make the incidence not very different from big blue states

Could spend your whole life trying to nickel and dime taxes to get a few square feet on your house and miss out on a whole lot of fun stuff

5 Likes

Put call parity

Also thats why you could should move to Tennessee if you actually wanna save on tax stuff

2 Likes

Texas after 65 is pretty good.

5 Likes

I know - Fairleigh Dickinson is amazing!

4 Likes

No. He must’ve misspoke and meant no state income tax.

FL
TX
TN
AK
???

1 Like

AK us the exception to that maybe. You get a check cut out of the oil revenues but you have to live in Alaska and I am sure food prices are astronomical because they are net importers.

3 Likes

Pitino already costing us recruits!! haha I never heard of him. We do have that Greek guy on the staff though, so probably were in contact.

Rick Pitino and St John’s have started it’s 2024 recruiting class by landing a verbal commitment from highly regarded Greek guard Lefteris Litopoulos, @nypostsports has learned. Was also hearing from Virginia, Stanford, Princeton. Will play for Greek U-18 team this summer. #sjubb

— Zach Braziller (@NYPost_Brazille) May 23, 2023
10 Likes
2 Likes

Damn. I bet TB saw Left in his name and panic texted J Willy “Stop what you’re doing and look up tape of this kid right now”.

4 Likes

Meh…

2 Likes

If Pitino is costing us international guys no one has ever heard of, I’m thrilled. Please get them Rick so we can’t get them.

14 Likes

God Bless You Rick Pitino.

7 Likes