Outside UVa Recruiting

Yeah when you’re 6’9" with long arms and a 40 inch vert, it doesn’t really matter how skilled you are when you’re in high school – you’re gonna look pretty sick

4 Likes

(I don’t think we have a 22-23 non-ACC thread, and maybe I will make one later, but in the interim, here’s a Dayton preview: I’m buying stock)

My man was giving recruiting interviews in English before he was conversational in English lol

2 Likes

That 2020 year *WAS fun, and we won the last 10/11 I believe and came in 2nd in the ACC. But Ms. Covid made her appearance and ruined a fantastic like finish to that year in which we could have seen our team do some damage in the NCAA.

2 Likes

That’s your guy Jerry Meyer’s doing. He used to be in charge of all that for 247. He saw Mamadi on the right day that July haha He also saw Jay Huff once early on when nobody had heard of him and bam made him top 50 the next day lol Say what you want but Jerry wasn’t a wait for other people to validate what he might think kind of guy, which is all it is now.

https://twitter.com/jerrymeyer247/status/619599280274309120

https://twitter.com/jerrymeyer247/status/619606977296076804

9 Likes

Funny cause Jerry literally told me he discovered Jay haha. Jerry very cerebral dude too

3 Likes

He really did!! I’m sure Rick Lewis and the NC guys will take credit but Jerry took him national. He’s the reason UVA came to look.

6 Likes

The question becoms how do we get more of these checks notes "fast twitch, high motor athletic PF"s

12 Likes

Recruit Idaho

3 Likes

Buchanan is strictly a 5 IMO

1 Like

I’d have watched more if he played eybl (free streams) but isn’t there some hope he can guard on the perimeter? Or am I confusing guys?

Could also be that your bouncy big will now play the 5, rather than the 4…

3 Likes

So are we no longer going after the Jack Salt’s, Papi Caffaro’s, Jay Huff’s or even Kadin Shedrick like 5-men? I think we still need to have two on the roster for screening purposes, plus Jack Salt was a huge contributor rebounding and defense wise for us, for most of his years. Plus teams like Syracuse and FSU have huge guys *yearly that we would need to content with.

Nah I think he can to an extent. He’s definitely not the Caffaro type of 5, but I’m fairly sure Tony sees him as Traudt’s long term partner in crime, and Traudt is almost certainly more 4 than 5. Could be that they switch off rim-protector duties but I’d expect that you’re gonna see buchanan doing it most of the time

1 Like

I mean unless we pull some random guy late in this 2023 cycle, I think the answer to your question is essentially yes. No guy in 2022 or 2023 fits the Salt/Caffaro mold (and I don’t see it happening in '24 either) – although I’d argue that Huff/Shedrick/Buchanan are of the same mold (at lease defensively, Huff could shoot better than the other 2 can)

I think you want a Papi/Salt for guarding Bacot/Cockburn/Dickinson/Tshiebwe types, but unless they’re giving you a lot offensively, I would make them more like middle relief in terms of roster building.

You need Mike Stanton when it looks like you can make a run at the World Series… so I guess for me, that means, basically the way you got Salt and Papi or portal.

1 Like

as HGN said They want 5 players on the court who can create and attack off the bounce from the perimeter at all times. Think our national title team we Mamadi was the biggest we went the majority of the time. Also the fact that I believe they intend Traudt to play the 5 a lot once Kadin is gone.

6 Likes

Kid is a consensus top 20 recruit and is going to Duke. He’s not being “slept on”.

17 Likes

Poor kid. I hope he gets some attention and maybe a few games on ESPN News once the games start. Not very optimistic though.

3 Likes

imo this is a great sign he’s going to try to do too much, too soon at Duke. Get the popcorn.

3 Likes