Please! Fire Coach Thompson!

I watched a little of the game that was on the ACC Network the other day. I’ve seen more cohesive and organized play in pickup games than whatever it was they were doing. Just a terrible product. I have no idea what our talent level is at, but they played like they had all just met and no one made a good first impression on each other.

I hope Tammi left their game here with an offer to ponder until the offseason.

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/rickbozich/status/1491887732393758730?s=21

2 Likes

This season and coaching administration cannot be over fast enough.

4 Likes

Embarrassing

1 Like
1 Like

Is “flight issues” the new code for not wanting to be blown out by 40?

3 Likes

That’s the damnedest thing I’ve ever heard of. All I know is it wouldn’t happen for a men’s game. Either there’s an extreme double standard or they didn’t want to play the game. Maybe a little of both.

11 Likes

It was a Breast Cancer Awareness night as well. That’s a 10k+ crowd and a big deal for many.

Coach Walz indicating in some of the tweet replies that they didn’t find out until 3 hours before tip.

4 Likes

As much as I want to and have placed this blame on Tina, it is not all her fault. She’s not responsible for logistics and communications. What I do know is @HoozGotNext is right this would never happen with a men’s program and they woulda been bused, flown commercial, taxied, ubered or whatever to the game. Truly an embarrassment and an example of how we do not value women’s sports.

3 Likes

I wonder who made the final call to forfeit rather than attempt to travel another way. Is that Carla’s decision?

I’d love to know who made it. I feel like it may be a level or 2 bellow Carla, or at least could have slipped through the cracks but that’s not an excuse.

3 Likes

UL saying they were only told 3 hours in advance or something, too. Seems like some big missteps on the UVa side.

2 Likes

Just wondering out loud; would/does the men’s team travel to Louisville the day of a game? Short flight. Maybe, I truly don’t know.

Likely whichever senior staffer oversees women’s hoops.

1 Like

UVA put all their eggs in the charter flight basket. When the charter company couldn’t deliver, the game was called off. Probably 3-4 hours in advance. Louisville definitely knew there were issues prior though.

3 Likes

That seems like a high risk way to handle travel. They drop the ball and you have no Plan B.

1 Like

This feels like a systematic breakdown. Like there should be multiple steps and alerts that go off if a teams flight is caneled. A simple SOP could alleviate all this. Part of that SOP means you have a Plan B amd C for team travel.

2 Likes

Not defending how we ended up with a forfeit at all, but from what I’ve gathered, it kind of sounds like we did have a backup plan and it was the charter flight company.

From what I’ve read, we were supposed to fly down Wednesday evening using a plane that was also going to transport the Louisville men’s team back home from South Bend either earlier or later the same night. There was some, likely mechanical, issue with that plane that evening. Some folks elsewhere have noted that it seems like the plane may have been able to fly, but it may have been very delayed. Purely speculating now, but it seems like a choice may have had to be made and it went and got the Louisville men’s team from South Bend while the company told us they’d be able to pick us up and fly us Thursday morning. Then on Thursday, it sounds like when the plane got to Charlottesville, there may have been either another mechanical issue or some sort of staffing issue that prevented it from flying. At that point, it was probably too late to arrange an alternative mode of transportation.

Anyway, a chunk of that is again pure speculation based on what little has been reported and what random internet strangers have dug up and which could be wrong, so who knows. But my guess is that the charter flight company didn’t fall through once, but fell through twice. That’s, admittedly, hard to plan around. What I’m honestly more curious about is whether we were offered the opportunity to reschedule the game and turned it down. For whatever reason, that would annoy me a lot more.

4 Likes

Why the forfeit? I can’t see no excuse for that. Sure they were going to get beat bad but you never back down or be afraid to play somebody. I just don’t understand it.

1 Like

We beat Duke for our first ACC victory! Hahaha.

4 Likes