Pre-season 2022

Exactly- the cost to upgrade from awful highlights to good highlights would be effectively zero. How about something simple, like don’t put the camera under the basket?

2 Likes

What annoys me about this particular issue is all Tony has to do is get out of the stinkin way.

Tony - focus on what you’re good at. And let the media/video/marketing focus on what they’re good at. Letting your fans watch hoops doesn’t violate any pillar except “Tony is extremely stubborn and has surrounded himself with enablers who let him be stubborn.”

3 Likes

I could be wrong, but I believe Tony thinks of it more of a competitive disadvantage thing. He doesn’t want other teams to get film.

Could be wrong but things he has said over the years has made me think that is it.

4 Likes

I agree, it’s something along those lines. I don’t think he’s right. But I suspect that’s his rationale.

There’s a reason they called it Hoya Paranoia and not “Hoya well founded and obviously correct viewpoint.”

3 Likes

Could be … but our opponents will have MUCH better film on us after game 1 of the reg season. So … we are protecting against our game 1 opponent who happens to be … NC Central University followed by Monmouth. If this is the reason why we do not put out decent footage then we may be overthinking it.

11 Likes

:arrow_up::arrow_up::arrow_up::arrow_up:THIS!!! This is exactly why the competitive advantage argument is flawed. Also, we are are likely going to have the same starting lineup as last year… there’s an entire season of film on how these guys play together

5 Likes

I’d love to be able to watch them play. But there is such limited upside to streaming that I can understand why they are not.

1. It’s NOT trivial. Added equipment/staff to travel with, shaky WiFi, language barriers, unfamiliar locations, prolly local laws even…this isn’t Silas Demary’s dad with an iPhone.
  2. For reasons above, going to be tough to put out a good product that people won’t find reasons to bitch and moan about quality. If I’m a video or branding guy, I don’t want my name on that.
  3. Unreasonable distraction for the guys that are there to get better as a team and bond. With social media and viral videos, last thing we need is the takeaway from an entire trip be some viral tweet of Kihei getting yammed on by some unknown Italian youth team.
  4. Y’all have some bias as to how many people would actually be consuming that content. College basketball isn’t on 98% fanbases radar until November.

FInal note - what schools outside of Kentucky are streaming their international trip? Saw NC State wasn’t and they’re playing at Atlantis.

3 Likes

Okay, so tape it and show it an hour or two later. The rest of the expense is already being incurred. (I still think streaming is fairly trivial, but even if I conceded that point)

3 Likes

See #1. They’re already putting their name on the crappy highlights. So I don’t follow

4 Likes

If our players have trouble getting better while cameras are on, (1) their HS and AAU careers bely that, and (2) they picked the wrong program

4 Likes

Even if nobody watches but me, it will have been worth it.

More earnest argument - yes, this stuff is marginal. The die hard fan will pay attention no matter what. The fair weather fan will wait until our next final 4. But there are lots of gettqbles in the middle

4 Likes

But there is no difference from airing footage this summer and teams noticing Tony’s techniques to people analyzing the same footage after our first three games of the season. As a matter of fact EVERYONE typically knows our offense and defense, and they *still haven’t been able to stop it (last year was an outlier). It’s all about us being competent in running our stuff, and if the other team can stop it, then hats off.

1 Like

Duke usually does. Same for UNC. Nova did in Spain the same time we were there. Auburn had a game in Israel on an ESPN channel, with Bilas on color. Haven’t done a recent inventory

3 Likes

Whatever probably should have just summarized that for those reasons, I’m sure Tony views it as an unnecessary distraction from the purpose of the trip. Which I can understand (although like many would prefer that wasn’t the case).

And like anything, I’m sure if they were able to stream, the same people would find another reason to whine.

1 Like

Auburn putting out stories about not farting in the Dead Sea and UVA fans “should be embarrassed” that we can’t stream in 4K.

4 Likes

The only thing Ive been whining about is access to the team during the dead period. This ain’t a if you give a mouse a cookie situation. This is just common decency for non megamillion donors/keeping fans engaged like almost every other fan base does.

5 Likes

I’m just talking about streaming the international games.

I agree with you on increased and improved content during the off-season. Also, think the Blue-White should be streamed.

4 Likes

I think that for TB, it’s less about preventing advance scouting and more about focussing on the point of the trip for the team. That said, I think that there should be, at a minimum, good highlights produced and distributed from the trip, much like we got highlights of the team’s rafting trip in WV before the championship season. That is not a bridge too far. We can have game highlights along with the guys touring Rome and Florence.

As for streaming the games, while I would love it, it does take some more effort, and the wifi in Italy is usually the worst in Europe. It would not be an insurmountable problem if TB wanted it done, but I don’t think that he sees that as a priority, so it won’t happen.

I am still working some of my Italian friends to see if they are able to find anything out about locations and possible Italian broadcasts. But they’re not big hoops fans, and I’m not terribly confident about any local broadcasts that we might be able to stream.

4 Likes

conceding everything you stated, I am selfish when it comes to UVA basketball and want to see as much as possible. They’re going to tape highlights. They could at least provide very extended highlights for us and not just Joe shooting a jump shot.

Marketing your program is increasingly important in this day and age and I think it has value that isn’t being fully recognized by our basketball program. But my primary reason is my own selfish desire to see our guys play. If that makes me bad then I don’t wanna be good.

Hell, if I’m going to spend days watching crappy AAU streaming to see a small number of prospects we’re not likely to ever see in a UVA uniform, how much more would I want to see our actual team?

11 Likes

Make it a VAF exclusive. Donate X, get access to the extended highlights…

7 Likes