Recruiting - Trick-or-Treat October

Well I never knew a post that is only two lines could be an emotional roller coaster but there it is

3 Likes

The Grim Reaper strikes again.:smirk:

2 Likes

Was watching the local news just now and saw Tyler Nickel just picked up an offer from Indiana today. Since he is a PF like Kaufman, is that a sign that Indiana is losing hope in landing Kaufman?

2 Likes

Nah. Other schools donā€™t wait around for seniors to decide before offering juniors. They just let it sort out later. Nickel is a hard guy to put a positional label on. Heā€™s really a big guard. But thereā€™s question over what spots he can defend, and as the saying goes you are what you can guard.

Pretty much a non-update update is all Iā€™ve gotten on Kaufman. Theyā€™re optimistic about him but no one on our side that I talk to knows where he might be going if heā€™s announcing, or if he if he is at all. Usually itā€™s just a no comment if a verdict is in, so I buy it.

6 Likes

Nah. They are casting a wide net like Maryland and LSU. They also offered a ton of DMV kids (Justin Taylor, Favour Aire, Rodney Rice) since their new assistant was the DMV recruiter for UConn.

I am a huge Tyler Nickel fan though. Heā€™s very similar to Sam Hauser almost I want to say in terms of play style. Him, Chris Bunch, and Cam Whitmore are the three I hope we give a look if we have an extra schollie in 2022 outside bigman schollie and pg/McKneely schollie

1 Like

I saw your retweet about Houstan. Does the late November comment imply heā€™s no longer planning to sign early or was he simply saying heā€™ll be all done before his season starts?

I would put Justin Taylor in that group as well

1 Like

I donā€™t think Houstan is worried about the signing date. .Should get done around that time though.

I imagine we wouldnā€™t pursue into Spring Iā€™d he doesnā€™t sign by Nov 18?

1 Like

UVA wonā€™t care if it drags past with Houstan. Not quite like the other two where theyā€™ve had plenty of opportunity to be recruited and go about things.

1 Like

Of course we have a good chance. On the other hand, I think reasonable folks feel Indianaā€™s chance is just as good, if not a tad better.

2 Likes

From MGOBLOG writer Matt re: Houstan:

I was also first to mention the Wolverines may indeed be at or near the top of the list, with Eric Bossi of 247 [confirming the same] on Saturday:

ā€œI donā€™t feel near confident enough to make a Crystal Ball prediction on Houstan just yet, but if I had to bet Iā€™d I would say that Alabama and Michigan make up the upper tier while Duke and Virginia may still have a little ground to make up.ā€

After checking in on things over the weekend, Michigan may very well be in pole position as of right now. Iā€™m told Alabama isnā€™t a real threat here despite inclusion in the final four and Bossiā€™s piece above.

The team to look out for here is Duke, particularly with former target Trevor Keels. He has Duke in a final three along with Villanova and Virginia. If Keels lands in Durham, Coach K will undoubtedly save room for 5star Patrick Baldwin (more later) and presumably run out of space for Houstan. If Keels chooses one of the other options, Duke may turn up the heat for Houstan.

Logic dictates my intel on the Alabama front may be good information. 4star JUCO Langston Wilson to Nate Oats yesterday. The Crimson Tide are down to a [final spot], and look to be prioritizing 5-star Charles Bediako. That said, never doubt the ability of an SEC program to make room for a 5-star.

For now though, Michigan is positioned very well in this recruitment with Houstan expected to sign during the early period in November. Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

My interpretation of the Kaufman situation: I will be surprised if he goes to IU at this point. Think if he was staying home it wouldā€™ve happened months ago. I think heā€™s had a lot of pressure to stay home from everyone around him but in his head and heart he knows he should go to a better basketball program AND better school. His decision has really been between UVA and UNC since he took those visits.

2 Likes

Looks like Trey will announce in 9 days according to his ig.

3 Likes

Thanks for that, but not sure Iā€™m buying it. His piecing of the puzzle seems all over the place. That said, this is sounding all to familiar, sources at all schools involved feel goodā€¦just like Keels.

Both HGN and 247 have said weā€™re in a good spot for Houstan, Bama folks feel they lead and now this from Michigan.

2 Likes

The one part that is interesting about Bama is the schollie squeeze. Sure they can manufacture one, but itā€™s rare, really rare, for a top player to commit without an opening unless they wait until spring.

The other wild thing is that everybody, and I mean everybody, automatically puts Duke in 2nd position no matter what - EDIT, this applies to ALL recruits, not just Houstan and it almost always applies to Dukeā€™s backup guy. Talk about the gravitational pull of their rep.

2 Likes

I think Bama fully expects and plans for the scholly to be there. Think they would have slow played Wilson if that were the true case. Both of the recent commits (davidson and now wilson) have mentioned on social media about going after both ā€˜Caleb and Charlesā€™. Word Iā€™ve seen was Bama may have pushed out a few guys last yr in order to land a few high profile transfers. I donā€™t think the scholly thing is an issue, which is one reason I doubt the UM guys intel. 10mins of reviewing the Bama board couldā€™ve told him that.

1 Like

Treys announcement is concerning to me considering word from yesterday that there is (likely) no verdict

I think thatā€™s right, that Michigan is the more likely default choice for Houstan. Sort of the if things donā€™t play out right with Duke or UVA. Itā€™s not the usual recruitment for us. Pure business decision. Safest path wins.

3 Likes

Can you explain what our pitch is under the ā€˜pure business decisionā€™ or how weā€™d be seen as the safe path? Is it just what youā€™ve mentioned before that we (CTB) has had success w big wings/guards?

1 Like