⛹ Ryan Dunn - Official Thread

Here’s how he responded when asked if he wants to walk back his Robbie Beran is better than Ryan Dunn post.

He just moves thegoalposts and never addresses the question. Here is the original comment:

“Not a single chance that Ryan Dunn is so good defensively…”

Ryan Dunn: and I took that personally

(Normally I’d ignore a dumb take from a Hokie because they’re prevelant but he’s just so smug in every interaction)

11 Likes

Bro I said exact same thing

1 Like

Dude is a dummy that has never looked at a smart stat in his life.

You don’t even have to talk defense if you don’t want. Here are other ways a player impact the offense: FT rate, steal %, offensive rebound %. Dunn ranked nationally in each, and is 54th in offensive rating (KenPom). Super small sample and these stats aren’t the whole picture, but they do tell you something.

If you want to look at impact on team, Dunn and Beran are virtually identical offensively (110 points per 100 possessions), but Dunn is > 10 points per possessions better on defense for Virginia than Beran. (Hoops Explorer)

Again, all small samples and there’s a lot of noise in line up data (e.g., who are they paired with).

But to consider this an open and closed case is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in his rambling, incoherent response was he even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.

2 Likes

Great post. And I hate to use the eye test but you can’t claim to know ball, watch both players, and think that Robbie Beran comes even close to impacting the game the way Ryan Dunn does.

It’s honestly insulting they’re being discussed together. That’s kind of why I brought it up we’re talking about Robbie Beran here lol

2 Likes

Animated GIF

6 Likes

Beran for Tech is their 9th most efficient offensive player(they only play 10) and 6th most efficient defender… but yeah he’s great!
I’m sure he just needs time to adjust.
Meanwhile Dunn is 1st on Virginia in offensive efficiency and Groves is 2nd.
Dunn is 1st defensively and Groves is 5th.

Bond is a close 3rd in offensive efficiency… no one else is particularly close to those top 3 guys.
McKneely, Buchanan, Minor, Murray, Beekman all bunched about the same(pretty good)…
And just bad are Harris and Rohde so far.

1 Like

I love Ryan Dunn, but he’s not Scottie Pippen. Maybe one day. But Pippen was such a better offensive player.

I’ll reach deep into the Wayback Machine for another comparison: Stacey Augmon. Athletic, long, quick, strong defender and rebounder, slasher, inconsistent shooter. Had a great college career and a long, productive time in the NBA.

4 Likes

Augmon is a great comparison for sure. My guess is if we saw Pippen as a college freshman- sophomore it looks very much like RD, however

4 Likes

Good call on Augmon. Hadn’t thought about him in awhile, but I like that.

2 Likes

Pippin started out as team manager at NAIA Central Arkansas and was only 6-1. He ended up playing some when others left the team and scored 4 points a game.
Then he grew and was 6-6 before his sophomore year and was the teams best player at 18.5 points and 9.5 rebounds and 2 steals a game…. And then became a 2 time All American

3 Likes

Sounds like our guy RD in some ways…

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/BenWieland/status/1725904960175391172

9 Likes

Listening now (hence my Carlton Bub Carrington question)

1 Like

Just want to point out that after** those runs where RD was wildin against NBA vets we still gave him the talk. All of you who love our talk strategy are gonna have to explain that to me sometime. Slowly with small words, because I can’t for the life of me figure it out.

https://twitter.com/elijahhughes4_/status/1725362794516648290?s=46&t=Y9ZJTUudJiFOC0Ajwlmckw

** AFTER?!! Like, can you believe it? because I can’t.

3 Likes

I mean how could he not consider redshirting, he had all of the talent of Ben VanderPlas in front of him in the rotation

1 Like

Wow #12, just imagine when he develops a consistent jumper

2 Likes

I’ll be siked if he goes lottery. What an insane feather in Tony’s cap.

Should have no problem recruiting that type of player with Hunter and Dunn’s success. Maybe we go the portal route for a proven P5 player

Best case is obviously him coming back if we’re being selfish but other best case is he is clearly a lottery pick so we have no question he’s gone and can get to work early selling a likely starting spot on a really good roster.

This is of course after he balls out and leads us to at least a S16

3 Likes

Other guy had him at 23 on his board. Other guy is new after Spins got hired by the Sixers.

2 Likes

Random tangent off of this, but one of the crazy things about watching Winning Time is that in the early 80s, NBA teams thought having two assistants was almost a bit much. (If you can believe the show)

Not to hijack the thread to a slightly different topic but what the hell that’s what we do here anyway…

If/when it’s obvious in April that Dunn is NBA bound, what type of transfer forward should UVA pursue? A skilled floor stretcher or an athlete? Someone in the Jacob Groves mold or a poor man’s Dunn? They’ll want a short term rental, one year or two at most so as to keep roster spacing.

6 Likes