Selection Sunday/Bracket Talk

Arkansas maybe. A lot of people are picking Colgate I think

Named after Dick Bennett not Tony

Colgate is a fascinating case from a rating systems standpoint, as it’s hard to figure out how to properly weight their strength of schedule when the Patriot League as a whole has played barely any out-of-conference games.

2 Likes

Could be Dick, I’m just relaying Norlander’s story that Vander Plas’ coach told him. (Story at 11:45, game analysis starts at 10:08).

Also, Ohio is a popular upset pick, but I’ve heard at least Parrish and Norlander here and Greenberg on his podcast pick us.

2 Likes
7 Likes

@blguthrie couldn’t post in the old thread, but the IG photo of Justin is from last week and just a repost. No new news.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s a picture from travel day to Greensboro last week

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think any of them REALLY think Ohio should be favored over UVA. It’s just that you know there’s going to be a 4-13 upset somewhere, maybe 2. With UVA’s roster uncertain and no practices until Friday, we’re the 4 seed with easily the most uncertainty, so if you feel like you have to pick a 4-13 upset we’re kind of the obvious choice, even though the odds are good that if there is such an upset it’ll happen to someone else.

Edit - Also, Preston is certainly great, but I think half of the great press he’s getting atm is in defense of people’s upset picks rather than the reason for the upset picks.

3 Likes

Ah, good catch @Hoohoohoo . We had heard the the guys could work out individually, thought it might be one of Justin as he left JPJ.

Is Virginia the most picked against 4 seed in recent memory? I’ll be curious how many of the ESPN brackets pick Ohio.

2 Likes

Well there wasn’t one last year :joy:

In all seriousness there have been 26 13 over 4 upsets in 40 years. It’s picked up recently though with 4 over the last 4 tournaments and 8 over the last 10. Had 2 in 2018.

2 Likes

I can’t see the older ones, but in 2019 on ESPN people were way more chalk on the 4/13 matchups. This year, FSU is (so far) picked to win their first round matchup 90% of the time, which is easily the highest.

In 2019, K-State was the LOWEST and they were 88.9%. Kansas was 97.1%.

2 Likes

FWIW 538 gives us an 86% chance to win round 1. FSU is at 83%, Purdue 81%, and Oklahoma State 80%.

3 Likes

I wonder what their model pegs as our odds if trey, sam, or jay is out

1 Like

Idk. Also don’t know what it shows if Jason Preston is out.

GT with COVID+ test. Still planning on playing

5 Likes

And practicing + traveled to Indy. The whole thing seems a bit fishy.

Sounds like the player tested positive on Saturday which would be the only reason you would send them in a two-person travel party separate from the rest of the group.

Also interesting that all others were cleared of contact tracing. Even if it’s a walk-on, you would expect someone to have been in close contact.

Anyway, never want to see the team punished for something outside of their control. But maybe an illustration of how other programs are actually handling it compared to UVA.

2 Likes

Pastner has been one of the most serious coaches in the country about covid protocols. Didn’t do any contact drills in the preseason he was so cautious. Would guess if it was a non-rotation player or a member of the staff Pastner wasn’t letting them close enough to trip contact tracing. Especially after watching Duke and UVA get sent home from the ACC tournament.

2 Likes

I love Titus and Tate (only podcast I really listen to and they have shown UVA a ton of love over the years) and have no issue with them giving their read. That said, also might not be terrible if somebody showed this type of stuff to our team:

2 Likes