Selection Sunday/Bracket Talk

It’s kinda hard not to like Pastner.

3 Likes

Listening to Tate (or at least his persona) slowly slide from the UVA bandwagon to UVA hater has been very entertaining.

2 Likes

Tells me we’re definitely practicing in Cville before we leave Friday

1 Like

Don’t be fooled. Tate has ALWAYS hated UVA but there’s a grudging respect there. Part of Titus’ Hoo love is to piss off Tate

3 Likes

Allright enough is enough- Tony has faced these types of players, teams, and expectations before. I’m tired about people ALWAYS forgetting about how Uva specializes in defense and doesn’t *usually let the one known player go off. I expect Kihei to feast on defense.

Haha. We don’t always shut down the other team’s star, but we often do, and we often win even when we don’t. Fresh in my mind is Boeheim popping off against us just a few days ago despite us knowing he was their main weapon (still won). Carsen Edwards of course had an other worldly performance against us (still won). And there’s many others I’m not thinking of.

But overall, if there’s one guy to come up with a game plan to slow somebody down, it’s Tony. Doesn’t always work, but works more often than not.

1 Like

Yea that’s why I said persona. Never met the guys so obviously don’t know his true feelings. Would guess he’s like a lot of Carolina fans where they thought we were a nice story at first and even like Tony but are ready for us to just go away now.

1 Like

You’re right- I actually meant that it seems like we always take away the one player or make the team one dimensional.

1 Like

I don’t know if that’s wrong, though. I haven’t looked up box scores, and I’m sure there are plenty of times this wasn’t the case, but it always felt like UVA (entirely separate from overall being rock-solid defensively) would tend to let the other team’s big dog get his and instead completely shut down all of the secondary threats.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/cavs_corner/status/1372250020603441153?s=21

6 Likes

Is there a LRA bracket pool?

Yup! Chain with challenge info is here:

Thanks!

De’Vion Harmon, Oklahoma’s second leading scorer, won’t play in first two rounds due to a positive test. I think eliminates the smallest sliver of a chance to remove Gonzaga before Sweet 16.

1 Like

Been thinking a lot this week about UVAs tournament performance relative to expectation- and how this is the first year in a while the narrative has shifted. Prior to this weeks Covid scare, we were seriously primed to potentially outperform our seed and play with “house money”.

This Bart Torvik table tells it all- since 2014, Tony is 183/184 in performance against seed expectation. This includes a national title, LOL.

I think this speaks to the significant impact of the umbc loss, but also how we have been expected to make the E8/FF multiple years- essentially 5/6 (2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019). I really hope we make it to the Gonzaga game, mainly bc I want a shot at playing with true house money where all the pressure is on the other team…

8 Likes
1 Like

Came across this earlier, really good read about all of the connections in this UVA / Ohio match up

1 Like
2 Likes

I don’t put much stock in this as it applies to us, but still not helpful to hear.

1 Like