State of the Trail Report

I think he understands correctly if you read the rest of his post. I think he meant to say when they leave in 2021.

1 Like

There are four open by 2021, one of which could be used for next season. I always make this point but will again. Scholarship total is sort of an artificial barrier. What matters is the opportunity available, and finding players that fit that. I saw a stat on twitter the other day that D1 programs have an average of just under 11 recruited scholarship players. No idea if that’s accurate but probably close. There’s what you need, and then what extra you can get for later. We need two, really want 3, would like to get 4.

5 Likes

The 2020 class actually starts in 2020 and ends in 2021. Our class for the next school year is called the 2020 class that will play in 2020 and 21 their first year. Everyone is right . It can be a little confusing

I confused myself trying to explain it ,lol

I understand all that. One poster said Naked was mixed up but I was just saying that after reading his whole post that it was just a typo. (He meant 2021 instead of 2020 as to when those three guys were leaving)

1 Like

Yeah, it’s super confusing without a chart. I should have said Hauser, Woldetensae, and Huff will exhaust their eligibility at the conclusion of the 2020/21 season.

Let’s see if this works:

2020/21 2021/22 2022/23 2023/24
Francisco Caffaro (RS) Francisco Caffaro (RS) Francisco Caffaro (RS)
Jay Huff (RS)
Kadin Shedrick (RS) Kadin Shedrick (RS) Kadin Shedrick (RS) Kadin Shedrick (RS)
Jabri Abdur-Rahim Jabri Abdur-Rahim Jabri Abdur-Rahim Jabri Abdur-Rahim
Sam Hauser (RS)
Justin McKoy Justin McKoy Justin McKoy
Kody Stattmann Kody Stattmann
Tomas Woldetensae
Kihei Clark Kihei Clark
Casey Morsell Casey Morsell Casey Morsell
Carson McCorkle Carson McCorkle Carson McCorkle Carson McCorkle
Reece Beekman Reece Beekman Reece Beekman Reece Beekman
9 Likes

Sorta kinda worked, but that one skinny empty line is the open 13th scholarship starting in 2020/21.

2 Likes

Is Chase going to eventually awarded a scholarship?

1 Like

As a Maury High School alum I would love to see it

If anyone is actually interested in a poster or a print feel free to message me and let me know what you want. Here’s all of the ones I’ve made already, but I also take requests https://www.instagram.com/br.dsgns/

2 Likes

Great work Ben. checkin these out

1 Like

Appreciate it my man. Was going to make one of you but I had trouble finding pictures

9 Likes

Stevie Mitchell starting to sound more and more like a good UVA type target.

2 Likes

So Bennett wants to add a PG in 2021? Kihei Clark leaves after the 2021/22 season, leaving only Reece Beekman as a primary ballhandler. But it’s a hard sell to a 2021 PG – join a team with Clark and Beekman ahead of you.

That may be what triggers the interest in Stevie Mitchell – he’s not really a top tier PG. That’s not really a knock on him. He hasn’t played against the highest level of competition and isn’t a particularly athletic scorer. Maybe even willing to consider a redshirt year?

2 Likes

Dont count out Stevie and Rashool Diggins going tu Penn State. Another kid UVA had interest in.

1 Like

Caleb Furst is on his official visit to Michigan State this weekend. His 2nd time there, did an unofficial during football season.

Corey Evans has a Rivals FutureCast pick in for MSU. Izzo has definitely turned up the heat recently, showing up at a couple of Caleb’s games. People in Indiana say he’s intent on taking this into the Fall though, despite all the visits. Even if he’s leaning one way now, things have a way of changing by then.

Reminder: Corey Evans also had Reece Beekman predicted to LSU at this point. He’s one of the best but national analysts are just now starting to tune in to the junior class.

4 Likes

I have a funny feeling Coach Bennett can make the pitch which would add another prep PG to the roster. It’s worth remembering that he convinced both Hall and Perrantes that they could play together, and in high school they were both point guards. He also convinced Jerome to join a team that already had Perrantes, Hall, and Darius Thompson on the roster. All were, in theory, point guards. I don’t think the staff has much trouble turning high school point guards into collegiate combo-guards, and they seem to be able to turn high school shooting guards into combo-guards, too

7 Likes

Ben’s latest :eyes: :eyes:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8mzykxg_7o/

7 Likes

Not gonna lie I saw that on my feed and got excited for a moment

3 Likes