The London Johnson didn't announce on April 14th thread

Seems to lead credence to the idea he genuinely was committing to UVA until Oats (or insert other coach here) came swooping in at the last second.

1 Like

What do they call that Amish tradition where you go nuts before you decide if you really want to be Amish? Maybe thatā€™s what this is. :joy: A 2-week rumspringa (something like that)

6 Likes

What a crappy day.

I feel bad for HGN having to be the bearer/confirmer of bad news.

7 Likes

My big question is whether Tony is going to spend time this live period essentially continually recruiting London or not. On the one hand, if we let Alabama and Georgia get the last words in, thatā€™s not ideal. On the other hand, should we spend more time on this if heā€™s got his foot half out the door and looking for something better?

2 Likes

HGN, if he does go elsewhere, how far behind are we in recruiting other PGs?

Juzang, Keels, Johnson.

There are plenty of kids ranked 50-100 who would buy and know they are long term prospects and would fit in here (like Daron Holmes and Deebo Coleman in 2021). Lets get back to having kids who want to be here and buy in. Lets cut all connections with that 2017-2018 recruiting cycle. Lets bring in the high level transfers we can bring in. Lets Makes UVA Basketball Great Again ā€¦ oh god. But I mean it.

3 Likes

If heā€™s been committed since Oct and we still have to pitch him still, pass

3 Likes

This is potentially the top-rated recruit weā€™ve ever gotten, no reason not to go for it if Iā€™m TB

2 Likes

To me the whole thing is just looney. He literally just set up his announcement with CBS yesterday. Hopefully the story of wanting his team there is all this is, but there are definitely teams trying to stop the commitment. With the delay, weā€™d be naive not to realize thatā€™s going to crank up. And the live period creates a whole different opportunity for him. Anyone uncommitted next week is fair game, to everyone.

29 Likes

As much Iā€™d prefer he just announce UVa and get it over with, I gotta say, this has been become a pretty compelling story.

3 Likes

My big concern at this point is even if he does say UVA on the 14h we are going to have to keep recruiting him all the way until November. He wonā€™t be a solid commit like we are accustomed to seeing at UVA.

12 Likes

Appreciate it. Thatā€™s where I am. Iā€™d like for the teammate thing to be true. But seems to be naive to think this recruitment just broke wide open right as it was heading to the 1yard line (sorry mixing sports metaphors).

3 Likes

Would like to see Tony give an ultimatum like with Traudt. ā€œGet on board, or weā€™re pursuing other optionsā€

9 Likes

Even if heā€™s waiting for his teammates, the fact that teams get an extra two weeks to try and sway him is just bad for us in general. Theyā€™ll have the added benefit of being able to sell immediate playing time if he wants to consider reclassifying again given that some of these draft decisions will be coming within the week.

3 Likes

What is the hard ball option other programs would employ in this situation? Has there been communication with the staff about this delay?

2 Likes

I mean this is hilarious. Iā€™m literally laughing out loud. Being a UVA fan is so so so so great!

7 Likes

It seemed to me Johnson pretty much shut down recruiting a while agoā€¦ So, the extra 2 weeks for other teams to pitch him doesnā€™t make much sense. Iā€™m with you and hope it is just for his teammates to be there.

2 Likes

I have no idea how much marginal effort would be involved, or where else it would go, but Iā€™d think just based on first principles (seems to like UVa, may have some niggling doubts) Iā€™d keep after it. But what do I know? Why are you asking me? :joy:

ā€œWhat Iā€™m hearing is that two schools have asked him to pause while they make another pitch.ā€

His own article says itā€™s not.

ā€œHopefully the story of wanting his team there is all this isā€ā€¦ Iā€™m replying to this