The Screw Maryland thread

Millie Smith didnt play when it came to getting fotos

2 Likes

we also beat UMD in back to back super regionals in '14 and '15 to make the CWS (and also obviously then won it all in '15). a few clips for enjoyment, particularly UMD bringing in their best pitcher/closer in back to back games in '15 for us to beat them late in each game:

'14 game 3 (we obviously split the 1st two, then smoked them to make Omaha in game 3): Baseball Highlights - Maryland NCAA game 3 - YouTube
'15 game 1: Virginia vs. Maryland, 2015 (baseball) - YouTube
'15 game 2 (probably the most enjoyable): Virginia vs. Maryland, 2015 - RALLY TO OMAHA #2 - YouTube

and what the heck, for fun hereā€™s 2011 when we beat them for the lax title: 2011 NCAA Division 1 Lacrosse National Championship Game Highlights - Virginia Edges Maryland - YouTube

5 Likes

BIG got the DC market, UMD athletics got bailed out. I never worked with Yow, but I knew a lot of people who did. She was universally loathed. I couldnā€™t believe it when NC State hired her.

1 Like

Yow is a name I had totally forgotten about until this thread. Know/worked with several people tied to UMD athletics and rarely did you hear a good thing about Yow. Everyone knew the BIG was a buyout option because UMD was cutting/preparing to cut a ton of programs if they didnā€™t get that check. How Yow was able to land another gig Iā€™ll never know.

My buddy had tickets to that 15 Super Regionals series, but he couldnā€™t go to the game 3 on Monday, so I grabbed them, drove down from DC for the evening, hit up the corner had dinner and watched the game. Good times.

2 Likes

The only thing wrong with that pic is it looks like that POS Rick Hartzell is holding the rock. Horrible official and lying scumbag. @DFresh11, your boy Willie D knows all about that.

4 Likes

Yea that dude was an ass and proly a Maryland guy. One ref we had was great. Duke somebody I think. he was my guy. Rose was another ass

2 Likes

Duke Edsall. He was a great ref. He had the great misfortune of having a last name that sounded similar to Hartzellā€™s. Folks used to get them confused. World of difference between their ability and demeanor though. Would love to know your thoughts on Froggy Paparo.

2 Likes

Yes! I typed ā€œEdzelā€ and deleted. He was a good dude

Paparo was just a bazar show off. I dont think he or Lenny ever saw the plays they made calls on. Crotty and Paparo got along. Jersey guys

2 Likes

Proud to say I dropped a jort wearing mullet sporting umd punk at Byrd while watching my boys. Needless to say he didnā€™t have a good afternoon even though we lost.

5 Likes

Guarantee dude earned it all

1 Like

Donā€™t mess with Tex!

2 Likes

I wear my Oofos everywhere outside of work and my Air Force uniformā€¦

When I drop off my kids in the morning, the other moms make fun of my socks in my Oofosā€¦ hahahahahaha!

3 Likes

Maybe a generational thing but Birkenstocks have been the huge sandal shoe for the last few years.

1 Like

I hear they are the shyyyt

1 Like

Especially w/ sore feet from constant running and soccer.

1 Like

Crazy that I still remember the names of so many refs from those days. Lenny Wirtz, Dick Paparo, Larry Rose and of course Ted Valentine.

3 Likes

No doubt
Fool was chirping the whole time
Then had the onions to throw a cup with ice my direction. I had been challenged and had enough alcohol to throw down. It was just a combination left jab then the haymaker overhand right, enough to frighten him and his turtle friend off

9 Likes

Surely you wear white socks with that

2 Likes

Screw Maryland. Am I doing it right?

4 Likes

Normally Danish long distance running socks

3 Likes