The Screw Maryland thread

I may have had an incident with a burning couch after the elite 8 loss to Syracuse

4 Likes

That is a day we do not speak of. My wife (then girlfriend) and I drove from Charlottesville to Alexandria is dead silence after watching the game.

4 Likes

Sailing team or a different burning couch lol

3 Likes

No comment

4 Likes

Thanks for the possible explanations. Still a bit curious when considering the number of Big10 teams also invited not to mention UVA not getting a home game and drawing the #1 seed in the 2nd round.

My mind drifts to the basketball tournament selections as it was clear there was major disrespect towards the ACC in numbers and seedings. Just something Iā€™m watching.

3 Likes

yepā€¦ the good news was that pretty much every lax talking head (And itā€™s a smaller world in lax, so i feel like those voices are very prominent) ripped it to shreds, so hopefully theyā€™ll adjust the process moving forward.

Honestly it should be a 24 team tourny at least, given the growth of the sport

1 Like

Fwiw, the actual NCAA teams and seeds for ACC teams matched exactly what Bracket Matrix predicted using their knowledge of committee principles and past practice.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

So, you can make an argument that the rules and past practice are bad (but those rules frequently benefit the ACC, too), and you can argue the ACC messed up by scheduling a 20-game schedule with no noncon past December (I have argued that vociferously), but I donā€™t think you can make a credible argument that the NCAA shortchanged the ACC by the current principles/practice.

Basically, the ACC stunk up the noncon. Want to do better in the tourney seeds? Easy, donā€™t stink up the noncon. The rest is pretzel logic (not that Iā€™m averse to it when it suits my interest).

3 Likes

Am I wrong or has that already been approved? Thought either this year or next year is supposed to be the last of the 16 team format.

They stunk up in November which should NOT have counted so heavily in March. To me, the selection committee is lazy in not seeing how teams finish the season. And I could care less what Lunardi and other frauds think with their stupid numbers. None of them saw a 13-5 tournament record with 3 teams in the final 8. So those prognosticators were way off.

2 Likes

You donā€™t want to screw Maryland. Take it from someone who knowsā€¦

8 Likes

Exactly. We shrank our non-con to almost nothing, and then the ACC was mostly disappointing over what little of it there was. What else were they gonna do?

UVAā€™s best non-con win was Providence, which was a pretty good non-con win. Our 2nd best non-con win? By 10 over an awful Georgia team on a neutral court that was so uninspiring that KenPom, which already didnā€™t think much of us, actually bumped us down one spot after the win.

3 Likes

So youā€™re arguing against the principles

I think youā€™re incorrect. Nothing is locked until the regular and conf tourney season is over

Lunardi is one of 200+ bracketologists (if heā€™s even included, which Iā€™m not sure he is)

Fair enough

This is correct. They select the teams and seeds prior to, rather than after, the tourney (which I think youā€™d have to admit would be pretty difficult)

They were not way off. They were prognosticating the seeds, which they got mostly correct. And the committee isnā€™t trying to prognosticate. Theyā€™re just trying to hand out seeds.

It basically sounds like you disagree with their principles and practice. Iā€™ve heard a lot of folks do the same. But the committee used to count end of season more, and they changed it to be more fair to smaller conference teams (who werenā€™t getting late season opportunities) and Iā€™m generally in favor of that change.

4 Likes

that sounded vaguely familiar but from what i could find thatā€™s not the case (the below is behind a paywall but i was able to get the gist). apparently with only 73 teams, 18 being included (there are 2 play-in games) means the 25% tourney participation is higher than most other sports (basketball is 19%).

1 Like

And the seeding was offensive and wrong. But weā€™ve already bashed this out. Iā€™ve already heard these explanations and fully reject them.

1 Like

Lets not lose focus. F Maryland and go Hoos!

12 Likes

Duke sucks

9 Likes

Bringing Duke into it.

3 Likes

I see a lot of words typed. Donā€™t have the mental capacity to read all those big words but just hoping the messages contain hatred of Maryland

2 Likes

Sorry breaking the rule about posting other content but this is hilarious. The ā€œinsiderā€ close to Jamieā€™s family on the maryland boards

Dogshit insider for a dogshit fanbase of a dogshit school

5 Likes

Never understood the incentive to post content like that. Youā€™re not endearing yourself to the family and the news isnā€™t even good for them with him saying wisconsin is in the lead

9 Likes